A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 4 July 2011

RNLI – We should help the lifeboats of Britain.



Thank you very much for opening my blog. Please stop for a second and take some time to read through it and answer the questions at the bottom as it would be very useful to me.

The RNLI; you may have heard about them but you might just be thinking ‘Actually, who are they?’ or ‘What do they do?’ Here I am going to describe to you who they are, what they do and why they need you.

People that provide a 24/7 lifesaving service, as the picture above shows, is only one of the many ways of summing up the RNLI. Others may be to say ‘The lifeboats of Britain’ or ‘The savers of the sea.’ Not only do they help people out at sea but in land as well. They provide flood rescues in towns and cities. And even when they are at the sea, you don’t have to be on a boat. Body boarding or surfing can be almost as dangerous if you do not play by the rules. They can teach you sea and beach safety so that you don’t end up there any way and so that you can enjoy yourself without worries at the beach.

The only problem is that by ‘they’, I mean volunteers. Unfortunately, the RNLI are not government funded and rely totally on the support of the public. They need you to help them to fundraise and earn money to keep up this fabulous service. But the public don’t seem as willing as I think they should. There’s the odd person that will do something to help but imagine how much more they could do if they had that many more people. I know that not all of us can physically get involved but most of us will all be owners of a bit of spare change. In Britain, small charitable bags can be posted across the country and magazines can be subscribed for. A pound may not sound like much but honestly, it can help anyone across Britain. For more information please visit their website:

www.rnli.org.uk

Underneath you will find some questions about my blog and I would really appreciate it if you could, please, quickly answer them by leaving a comment. Please leave your name, your hometown and the country that you live in (if not the UK) as I would like to know whether this is being read worldwide or not.

• Had you heard of the RNLI before you read this blog?
• If you did know about the RNLI have I know changed your opinion about them?
• Would you tell your family and friends about the issue and would you try to persuade them to do something about it?
• Would you now be willing to make a donation or even take part in the activities that are put on by the RNLI?

Thank you very much for reading through my blog. I hope that it helped you to understand what a brilliant charity that the Royal National Lifeboat Institution is.
Leah

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your well written blog about the RNLI. I have heard of them before but do not give regularly, perhaps i should. I would be willing to take part in activities put on by the RNLI if they were in the area that i live. i.e. Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard of the RNLI before, however I do not give regullarly because I don't know much about it. I would be willing to take part in activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I had.
    Not really, I already considered them to be a necessary organisation.
    Maybe, but it's not something that's very relevant in our lives.
    Perhaps take part in the activities, but I am unlikely to make a donation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly I would like to say how well written your blog was!I have also chosen the RNLI as my charity!Thankyou for giving me inspiration!:):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was rescued by this charity once and whenever we pass a charity box we definately empty our pockets with all the cash we can find! without them i wouldnt be here so i owe my life to them and i think it is great that out of all the blogs someone has done one about the rnli! :)

    ReplyDelete