A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Thursday 6 September 2012

Turtle Trauma - save our endangered ocean animals, with the MCS.

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and take interest in my blog. I’m trying to raise awareness on the wonderful work ‘The Marine Conservation Society’ are doing every day, but can only do with your help. I would also like to show my support to MEDASSET a charity in partnership, in America with ‘The Marine conservation Society’(MCS) who take in the calls and complaints of a turtle’s well-being.

There is an amazingly enormous amount of cruelty against turtles; they have 2 predator’s sharks and more importantly us, as humans. There population has been decreasing in huge amounts at alarming rates over the last few decades. Turtles, especially the leatherback turtle, are clearly under the threat of extinction. Action is obviously needed to reverse the turtles decrease in population. There are approximately 300 species of turtle. They have lived here for two million years in every continent apart from Antarctica. Though they are safe in England where most people keep them as pets it is different in other countries where turtles are a common delicacies and turtle poaching is the norm. Turtles are also sold to unknown owners without enough information for them to keep their well-being up and are mistreated and being fed the wrong things in the wrong conditions. This tends to cause death even the breaking of their shells. There is a campaign going on right this minute to create a law against selling turtles/tortoises without enough information to keep them alive.


But the main threat against turtles is the loss of their habitat, by us polluting the ocean they get caught in waste; they mistake plastic bags for jelly fish and choke. Light pollution confuses baby turtles, and people stand on their eggs, and destroy their nests!

Only 2 out of 30 turtle eggs will grow up to reproduce 18 of those eggs are killed by us!
The MCS are trying to help in thousands of ways, they run an adopt the turtles scheme where you can support 1 or more turtles they run a beach clean-up campaign, where people are encouraged to help their community by cleaning up there local beaches, this helps stop pollution which helps the turtles. They run a turtle tracking activity in which you can follow a turtle and see where it goes. They do as much as they can, but they can’t do any more without your help.

Please visit the MCS website at http://www.mcsuk.org/

I would like to again thank you for taking the time to read my blog it would be a real help to me and the cause if you could answer the questions below in as much detail as you can, thank you I deeply appreciate your help.
  1. Have you learned about the MCS from reading my blog?
  2. Would you now be willing to donate towards the MCS?
  3. Would you start or join a fundraising campaign to raise money for the MCS?
  4. Would you sign up to the adopt a turtle scheme or a beach clean?
  5. Would you tell your family and friends about the MCS and encourage them to help support the MCS?
  6. Would you be willing to sign up to the MCS newsletter?
Please could you also tell me your home town and the country you live in.
Thank you, Abbie.

6 comments:

  1. i totally agree with this cause. i love turtles and you have informed me on so much more about this thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this! I am now soooo much more informed on the topics this blog concerns and now I will do anything I can to help! I found this by accident but I am really glad I did!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I have learned about MCS
    2. Yes!
    3. I have contacted MCS and will soon!
    4. I have because of reading this!
    5. Yes!!!!! Will do this evening :D
    6. Am doing now :)
    YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME! :D :D :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Yeah I've learnt loads.
    2. yes, probably.
    3. I would if there was one near me...
    4. yep.
    5. Yes, of course.
    6. yeah i already have.
    Great blog, really learnt alot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I am more informed about MCS. Thank you. I would definitely donate to this charity as I love turtles and you've really given me food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I have learnt about MCS
    2. Yes
    3. My friends are not interested, but i would donate!
    4. Definitely!
    5. Yes!!!
    6. Yes!!!
    This is such a good blog! I will help turtles and do as much as I can to help this AMAZING! charity.

    ReplyDelete