A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 5 September 2012

We should support ShelterBox - disaster relief that saves lives, changes lives and ‘makes a difference'


Hi, I’m Lucy. Thanks for reading my ShelterBox blog!  It’s hard to imagine losing everything you own including your home and finding difficulty to get food and water but that’s what happens to millions of people around the world who suffer in disasters such as tsunami’s, earthquakes, floods, droughts etc.  Since 2000, emergency relief has been available for these people thanks to big green ShelterBoxes plus thousands of volunteers working on behalf of ShelterBox.  I feel strongly that we should support this deserving charity – a little giving can make a big difference – and I hope that reading my Blog will make you want to help.

One story is the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan in March 2011.  Trying to think what it felt like to be one of over half a million people who lost their homes, families and possessions and spent days without food, water and heat in freezing temperatures is difficult when sitting in a heated home, but the ShelterBox team went to their aid and quickly supplied over 1,500 green boxes plus over 10,000 gloves, scarves and hats to provide shelter, warmth and dignity to those who were suffering. The photo below brings home the state of despair replaced by that of hope from contents of a ShelterBox.


 










ShelterBox have sent over 100,000 boxes to every continent to provide emergency shelter and lifesaving supplies in the last 12 years. A ShelterBox is tailored to each type of disaster but can help up to 10 people with basics to live, cook, keep warm, for storage and children’s activities.

Why should you care?  How would it feel to lose everything?  It costs just £590 to fund a ShelterBox and the charity aims to help 50,000 families every year.  ShelterBox rely on volunteers and fund-raising, from individuals and groups, people with passion and belief and those wanting to help to ‘make a difference’ to save lives of others.  

Before you snuggle up in bed tonight, check out the ShelterBox website - http://www.shelterbox.org – and donate… you can also follow a box you sponsor there!

Thank you for your interest in my Blog.  Please do post me a response with your feedback.  If you could include answers to my questions below, that would be great.  Could you also tell me your home town and, if not in the UK, your country too!  I hope you can help.  

  • Had you heard about the work that ShelterBox do before reading my Blog?
  • Has my Blog changed the way you feel about ShelterBox?
 
 Would you be prepared to get more involved with ShelterBox in any of the following ways: 
 
1.       Make a donation to ShelterBox
2.       Organise a fund-raising activity
3.       Arrange a ShelterBox talk for a club, group or school
4.       Go online and buy a ShelterBox item
5.       Buy something from a local shop that’s raising money for ShelterBox
6.       Tell your friends and family about ShelterBox and try to persuade them to help out

Many thanks!




6 comments:

  1. wow! you have raised my awareness on this cause. yes, your blog has changed the way i feel about it. i will try to support shelterbox more now!i had heard of shelterbox before cuz my best friend's dad raised 2000 pounds for them but had'nt raised anything myself or read about them. this blog has helped thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an AMAZING blog! I have never heard of this charity before and now I feel that this is a really important cause! Thank you so much for raising my awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting and informative blog! I had heard of ShelterBox before but you have raised my awareness further. I will be thinking about the ways you have suggested so I can get more involved with this fantastic cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I had heard a little bit about shelterbox, but I didn't really know much about it.

    2. Your blog has definatly changed my opinions about shelterbox. I now think that it is a very important charity, and I think that the work they do is amazing.

    I would make a donation or tell my friends or family about this charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't come from South West England where ShelterBox are based but have heard about them before on the news. As a result of reading your blog I will try and get more involved with this brilliant charity in my local community of Lincolnshire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a brilliant blog which tells me so much about ShelterBox. It has made me want to go out there and do something to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete