A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 7 July 2010

Down's Syndrome - Do You Know The Facts?



Hello, my name is Yelena and I would like to thank you for taking an interest in my blog. I have set up this blog to try and raise awareness of people affected with Down’s syndrome and the incorrect stereotypes that they face. I also hope to change your opinion on the genetic condition.

First and foremost, Down’s syndrome isn’t a disease. You can’t get it off other people and it isn’t necessarily hereditary (doesn’t automatically ‘run in the family’). It is a genetic condition. This means that it occurs due to a fault in your genes. It often strikes at random to children during their development in the womb. There is no ‘cure’.

Now, you’ll be thinking, well that’s all well and good but what does it have to do with me? Everything:

• There are approximately 65,000 people with Down’s syndrome living in the UK at the moment and this number is set to rise.
• Number of children with Down’s Syndrome educated in Mainstream Primary Schools:
• 80% Nationally
• 90% in Devon
• There has been a 75% rise in Down’s Syndrome births in the last 20 years

Here are some of the more common misconceptions that people hold against Down’s Syndrome affected people:

Children with Down’s syndrome are only born to older women, but 80% of children with Down's syndrome are born to women that are younger than 35.
However, the older the mother, the more likely it is for her to have a child with Down’s syndrome.

All people with Down’s syndrome will later develop Alzheimer's disease (Dementia) - Although many people with Down’s syndrome do develop dementia in their later years, not all people do. It is not certain. Dementia is just as likely to happen in other people only 20-30 years later than people with Down’s Syndrome.

Thank You for reading my Blog. Many people with Down’s Syndrome live happy & contented lives & give much back to their family & members of their community. Now could I please ask you to help me by answering some of the following brief questions:

1. Had you heard of Down’s syndrome before reading my blog?
2. Do you now feel more informed on the effects of Down’s Syndrome?
3. Has my Blog changed your opinion on how you would treat people affected by the condition?
4. On a scale of one to ten how prepared would you have been to make a donation to a Down’s syndrome charity before and after reading my blog?

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to reading your responses.

Yelena

21 comments:

  1. I had heard of downs syndrome before I read this blog, however I now feel more informed.
    before I read this blog I would probably be 5/10 willing to donate but I am now 9/10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyya Yelenaa


    1. Had you heard of Down’s syndrome before reading my blog?
    Yus,i knew someone with it

    2. Do you now feel more informed on the effects of Down’s Syndrome?
    yeah, i dodnt know that much about it

    3. Has my Blog changed your opinion on how you would treat people affected by the condition?
    Well i already thought we should treat them equally so...
    4. On a scale of one to ten how prepared would you have been to make a donation to a Down’s syndrome charity before and after reading my blog?
    8

    awesome blog yelena!

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my second cousin has Down's Syndrome, and so does my friend.
    I do feel more informed, but only a little more, because I knew quite a bit about it anyway.
    I think that we have to be patient with them, because my friend sometimes does things that she doesn't mean to do/say. You just have to work with them.
    I was probably about 8/10 before, and now 9/10 after.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... Had I heard of it before? yes. However, I did not fully understand what it actually does - now I do, which is helpful =) Naturally, I'd treat everyone with such problems as similarly as I would anyone, they don't deserve to be treated as "minors".
    As for the donation, although it's a very big problem, there are lots and it's hard to choose but I'd probably now say around 7/10.

    Thanks for informing me Yelena, great blog =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Yelena,
    I have always wanted to know more about downs syndrome, because when i saw people with it around i never really knew what any of it was about. This blog has informed me much more and i am now more aware about the condition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yelena,

    I had heard of Downs beforehand but never really knew what it was and why. So, yes I do now feel more informed about Downs.

    I have not been in contact with anyone with Downs that I know of, if I had I would hope that I would treat them equally. However, after reading your blog if I do come within contact of someone with Downs then I hope I will remember you blog, so as I can treat equally for definant.

    Before reading your blog as I did not know much about Downs I would be about 2. Now, however, I would be 9.

    Thank you for raising my awarness and changing my opinion. It is a great blog Yelena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey yelena
    i had heard of down's syndrome before and i do feel slightly more informed now. i would like to know more about the affects of down's syndrome on the person and their families and what qualtity of life they have.

    i always beleived that every person should be treated equally anyway, so your blog hasn't really changed my veiws because that's what they were anyway! however, you have told me that people with this can lead happy and fulfilling lives.

    before; 4/10
    after; 7/10

    great blog by the way x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had heard of Down's
    I do feel more informed
    Not really, but only because I would have already treated them the same as anyone else Probably 4/10 before and 7/10 now

    ReplyDelete
  9. heyy yelena
    I did know about downs syndrome but now i'm more informed because I thought it was hereditary.
    I would like to know more about how it affects their lives though.
    I think I'd treat a person with Downs syndrome normally. I think before and after this blog it would be 7/10
    great blog x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of downs syndrome before but never realy thought about it, I now realise how sad it realy is and am informed much more,It has definatley changed my opinion and i feel more strongly about it, 8, i would like to contribute to a charity after reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yelena,
    It is so sad to read about the children and i will do what i can to help

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey
    I didn't know that downsymdrome was random and could happen to anyone before birth, I thought that you couldonly inherit it. I would love to spread the word toget people I know to raise money.
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. heya, i have heard of it before,i feel slightly more informed because i didnt know they could develop more as they grow older, it has not changed my views as i already treat them the same as everybody else, they should not be ruled out of anything that any other person can do. i hope this helps xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know alot about downsyndrome before I read this blog but now I know alot more.
    Before I read this blog I would of probably been 6 out of 10 willing to give a donation but now I would probably be 9 1/2 out of 10 to give a donation, It's sound like a really good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. Yes; I know someone with it.
    2. i didn't know that much about it before; I have learned
    3.Well I already treated them no differently because i used to have a good friend with downs syndrome (:
    4.I would have before; but now i would maybe do more to help/donate more money because I know more about it (:
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. Had you heard of Down’s syndrome before reading my blog?
    Yes
    2. Do you now feel more informed on the effects of Down’s Syndrome?
    Yes
    3. Has my Blog changed your opinion on how you would treat people affected by the condition?
    No. I treat all people the same, no matter what. If they are disabled, of a different race, or have down's syndrome, i would treat them the same.
    4. On a scale of one to ten how prepared would you have been to make a donation to a Down’s syndrome charity before and after reading my blog?
    Before: 6/10
    After: 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    your blog has made me much more informed about Down's syndrome and has made me much more willing to give money to the cause :) well done on you great blog x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes i had heard of down's syndrome before but your blog has definately made me feel more informed on the effects of down's syndrome. Also i would be prepared to make a donation to the charity as i think that people suffering with down's syndrome deserve some sort of help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey yelena,

    i had heard of down syndrome before your blog, and i was about 5/10 ready to donate, but now i have been thoroughly informed about it, im about a 8/10.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, i had heard of Down's Syndrome but i did not know the fact and figures about the rises of it and how it can come about.
    I do feel more informed and i am now aware of how many people have it, who is more likely to have a child with it ect.
    Although i would never treat a person who suffered from that horribly, i feel more aware and more concerned towards the topic.
    8-9

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. yeah I had heard of down's syndrome
    2. no I do not feel more informed of what it actually does
    3. yes, I would be more likely to be acceptant of them
    4. before - 5
    after - 7

    ReplyDelete