A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We must do more to prevent the badgers from being culled



Thank you very much for taking an interest in my blog! This issue is very important as I think it has a very big effect on us and our lives. I believe that not enough people are informed about this issue. When you read my blog I hope that you will find out more about this issue and hopefully support my aim! Thank you.

The disease Tuberculosis (TB) is very common among some farm animals especially cattle, however this disease can be very easily passed on to humans. Although you might think that this issue does not affect you, yet in fact it does.
How the disease is spread?

1. Firstly an animal suffers from Tb and passes it to a badger.
2. The infected badger hangs out among the cattle farms.
3. When it does, it may come in contact with the cattle and by doing so passes the disease.
4. The farmer kills the cattle and sells its meat (or other products, such as milk) to the supermarkets.
5. We (as customers) acquire these products and after consuming them we have Tb. Now this person may suffer serious illness or even die.
However, today it is still UNCERTAIN that badgers pass Tb to the cattle. Scientists have failed to prove the link and have no evidence to support their theory that badgers spread Tuberculosis.

What the Government decided to do?
The English Government decided to introduce the badger cull in certain areas. Many organisations such as: the Department for the Environment have been culling (killing) the badgers for more than 30 years now!
How many badgers have been killed so far?

So far it is estimated that around 30,000 badgers have been killed already. Most badgers have been gassed. This was believed to be a humane method of killing them.
Has culling the badgers had any affect on Tb in cattle?
No, the numbers of infected cattle have increased. Killing badgers does not appear to have had any effect.

So, what is the right solution?
I strongly believe that badgers should not be culled as their death will disturb the food chain and kill many other animals. Their death may not necessarily solve the problem (so far it hasn’t) as we are still not sure that they spread the disease and of course the badgers will be missed by us!
I believe that farmers should introduce strict security programme around the cattle farms in the UK, by doing so they would prevent badgers from coming in contact with the cattle.

Hopefully after reading my Blog, you have realised that culling the badgers is certainly NOT the right solution.

Thank you very much for taking time to read my blog! Please post me a response with your comments. I would appreciate it, if you could answer the following questions:
1. Have you heard about the issue concerning the badgers being culled before reading my blog?
2. Are you now more informed about this issue after reading my blog?
3. Have I changed your views about badgers being culled if yes, then why?
4. On scale 1 to 10 how prepared would you be to donate or sign a petition to help this cause?

Karolina

7 comments:

  1. I think that badger culling is wrong, even more so because they have no proof to say that they pass tb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya babe, i think that this is very wrong, i live by a badger run, so all the badgers there are safe. prehapes you should try and contact any groups that are trying to do the same as you. i hope this helps xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before reading your blog I didn't know about the problem now I am a lot more informed and strongly agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is CRAZY!!! Badgers are cute and fluffy and i support your blog.
    1. I hadn't heard of the subject

    ReplyDelete
  5. No I didn't realize! I am definatly more informed!!!! Well i hadn't realized so i guess i have changed my view! 9/10!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I have heard about it a bit before, but not in as much detail.
    2. Yes, i feel a lot more informed of this issue.
    3. I already am against animals being harmed, so you have made me feel stronger about my opinion.
    4. 7/10
    Great Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good blog Karolina!
    1. I have heard a litlle about this issue which is nice to find out more about it.
    2. I feel a lot more informed, thx.
    3. Changed my opinion; I support the badgers.
    4. 9/10

    ReplyDelete