A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We should all do more to help Amnesty International



Thank you very much for opening my blog. Amnesty International is a very important group and the more awareness raised, the better. I feel very strongly about Amnesty and I appreciate the fact you want to learn about it.

Amnesty International is a global organisation that helps people who are prisoners of conscience and are not allowed to express their own opinion in their country. A good example of this is Ferhat Gerçek’s (above) case.
Ferhat lives in Turkey and was full of passion for justice and for a better world. He distributed a perfectly legal political magazine. Day’s before his 18th birthday, he got confronted by Turkish police officers who told him to stop selling the magazines. Ferhat pointed out it was a legally approved magazine and the police argued with him. Ferhat got shot in the back and ended up paralysed from the waist downwards.
Seven police officers face trial for 'wounding with intent as a result of excessive use of force' but the t-shirt Ferhat was wearing when he was shot has been ‘misplaced’ by the police. This is crucial evidence and could help bring Ferhat to justice.
However, Ferhat is also being prosecuted in connection with the dispute and could face more than 15 years in prison if found guilty!
On top of this, Engin Ceber was arrested along with others on 28th September 2008, while peacefully protesting against the continued ignorance of Turkish authorities in the case of the 2007 shooting of Ferhat. Engin was stripped naked, kicked and beaten by the police while he was in detention. His lawyer said he was transferred to hospital on 7th October due to the injuries he had sustained. He died from his injuries in the afternoon of 10th October.
This is unjust, unfair and cruel. If an instance like this occurred in the U.K, the police officers responsible would face time in jail. During this difficult time, Amnesty members and supporters have been campaigning for Ferhat and Engin’s justice while comforting their families. Thousands of letters have been sent to Ferhat to assure him he is not alone in his fight for freedom.

If you would like to learn more about Ferhat and Engin’s case or just about Amnesty International in general please visit www.amnesty.org.uk where you will find information about what Amnesty do and how you can get involved.
Thank you again for reading my blog. Please feel free to post comments of what you thought of my blog. In particular, it would be helpful if you could answer the following;

• Had you heard of Amnesty International before you read this blog?
• Will you tell your friends so that they are more educated about Amnesty’s activities?
• Would you be prepared to write a letter to Ferhat assuring him that he will receive his justice?
If you would like to write to Ferhat, details for contact can be found on the Amnesty website (address above).

Matilda Stuckey Howard

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for helping us spread the word about Ferhat's case - we really appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O
    1 No i had never heard of amnesty international
    2 Definately this is so important
    3 Yeah i would definately like to help him in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog it has definetly informed me more on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now feel more aware of this organisation. My mum gets letters from Amnesty about what they are doing , and I dont realy take much interest in them but now I will read and take a look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had heard of amnesty international before reading this.
    i will tell my friends about the case, and about Amnesty's work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matilda Stuckey Howard (Blog Owner)14 September 2010 at 12:48

    Thank you to everyone who has left a comment! Feel free to add more and if you have researched further into Ferhat's case let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my sister feels very strongly about amnesty and has put posters and leaflets up around our school. I feel the same way and would like to do something to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In answer to your questions,
    1. I had heard of Amnesty International.
    2. I would be more than happy to tell my friends about this great cause.
    3. I would definetly be prepared to write to Ferhat after having read your blog.
    I would also like to say this is a great blog and I now am really interested in Amneaty Internation and their work. Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOAH! Scary story, deffinately a very important cause, Keep up the Great work! My dad supports and contributes the cause alot and I know I want to get more involved aswell. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had heard of Amnesty International before reading this blog, and I think it is a strong issue that needs advocating. This is a good blog, as it tells the reader a lot about the issue, and after reading it I would say I support the cause, and would like to do something to help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. yes I had, and I highly agree with it's aims.
    2. Definitely, I think amnesty is great and the world needs more justice.
    3. I think I will write a letter, after all it's really important.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matilda Stuckey Howard (Blog owner)28 September 2010 at 15:13

    Thank you to everyone who has supported my blog. Great news, Ferhat will be given his next court trial on the 24th of December. Now is a good time to speak up and show support for Ferhat's case. For more details, please go to the Amnesty website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Matilda Stuckey Howard (Blog Owner)3 December 2010 at 09:57

    As part of the Amnesty Christmas Card Campeign, you can now send cards to Ferhat to show you support his case. For more detials, see the Amnesty website.

    ReplyDelete