A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Water- some people can’t take it for granted

Imagine a life without safe water flowing from your tap. Imagine then, if every morning you had to get up at the crack of dawn and walk for miles down uneven paths to the nearest water hole to collect your family's water. Then imagine the state of the water, filthy, dirty with flies buzzing around and animals drinking at the same source. But you have no other choice. In many countries it would take you over six hours every day to collect enough water for your family. Having returned from this exhausting journey you could start the rest of your day. Then imagine that you had nowhere safe and clean to go to the toilet. In many cultures you would have to wait until it was dark before you could use the toilet.

Welcome to my blog and thank you for taking an interest in my issue, I am supporting Wateraid. The aim of the organisation is to make sure everyone is welcome to clean and safe water and to make sure they are well educated on the dangers and diseases caused by contaminated water. Today 4000 people will die from drinking dirty water.

In England, we take water for granted, we leave taps running, we wash our hands regularly; we can have a safe drink of water from the tap. However, many people in the world are not able to access this. Before Wateraid was around in 1981 millions of people around the globe were dying and were not able to provide themselves and their family with water, sanitation and hygiene. Wateraid is now celebrating their 30th anniversary and since it started it has risen awareness in England, America, Australia and Sweden. We can all help support and help people in the 26 counties that Wateraid works in and give these people the same chances we have to live life with the help of safe water.

Elmas Kassa is 13 and lives in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: "I collect water four times a day in a 20 litre clay jar. Its hard work." Elmas Kassa said. "I have never been to school as I have to help my mother so we can earn enough money. Our house doesn't have a bathroom so I wash once a week and go to the toilet down by the river behind my house. I usually go with my friends as we're supposed to go after dark when people can't see us."

The lack of sanitation hits women and girls very hard. Without somewhere safe and clean to go to the toilet they are exposed to disease. Girls are also less likely to go to school if there is no toilet available, particularly when they reach puberty.
Thank you so much again for reading my blog and if you don’t mind please could you answer the following questions to help me with my advocacy please may you leave your home town and country (if not the UK):

• Have you ever heard of this issue before?
• Would you help make a donation to Wateraid or join a fundraising campaign?
• Would you tell your family and friends about this issue?
• Have I changed your opinion on Wateraid? If so, how?

For more information you visit Wateraid - water and sanitation for all.

Thank-you

Grace

20 comments:

  1. This is a great blog and very inspirational i am more aware of the topic now thank you for this great blog :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is very touching. I already knew about this topic but now i am more aware about it. It really kills me to know that I am someone who sometimes does take water for granted. thanks to this blog I will always think before I use water.
    Thanks so much :)
    Collingwood Ontario Canada
    Hollie
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely makes you think about everyday tasks and how much is wasted.
    Great Blog.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this blog because it really tells people about how important water is and how we take it for granted compared to people in the third world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is sad that people dont have clean water to drink, wash and do other tasks that we take for granted. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who do take it for granted and when I see products from charities i try to buy them so that the charity can help people without clean water-for those people water can carry life-threatening diseases

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this blog as it informed me really well on the issue. I am now really aware of the issue and would tell my friends and family about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really great and inmportant blog!
    Though myself and many more thousands of people are aware of this organisation, we really don't appreciate what some of these Countries go through. Water is a necessity for everyone and without having daily clean water to drink, can lead to life threatening cases especially to the young. It is not nice seeing these poor people and children suffer in this way, in this day and age it shouldn't be happening.
    Thank you for highlighting the importance of Wateraid, I hope many more people read this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I have heard about Water Aid, but did'nt realise just what these children go through,what a fantastic blog Grace for making more people aware of this, I for one will now stop and think twice before taking our water for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read your bog with great interest.
    I am a member of Rotary International, and the club of which I am a member supports Water Aid, and raises money for that charity. It is satisfying that young people are supporting it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really good summary of the issues facing much of the world today where clean water is not freely available. I am much better informed and would certainly consider helping Wateraid in its work to educate others and to bring clean water to all.
    Nicola
    Queenstown, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard of Wateraid and the problems caused by dirty water - and not enough of it. But I hadn't realised how that goes on to affect whether or not girls want to go to school, so it's not only a problem of disease and bad hygiene. I'll talk to my family about donating. Thank you for this blog.
    Jenny, Torquay

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read this brilliant blog and Grace has opened my eyes by explaining the full extent of the problem these people have, only now do I appreciate how bad it is for them, yes I have heard about this and in future will be more careful in the use of water, I will tell my family about Water Aid and inform them of this blog to help them have a better understanding of what the people are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This really is thought provoking stuff and something I am sure we all take for granted. I will certainly be more considerate of my use of water in the future and will also be making a donation to Wateraid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog is very touching and is very thought out.I will tell my friends to read this blog and care more about it. You have changed my opinion of wateraid because i now know what happens when people waste water.

    ReplyDelete
  15. More people should read this as it really highlights how much water we waste in England. It will certainly make me more careful in future. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this blog is very informative
    I have heard of water aid before
    I will try to be more considerate of my use of water and tell my family to be more careful when using water

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found the blog very interesting
    as a disabled person who has to use a lot of water it made me think how I could cut down on it
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Grace
    very good blog. You should be proud of yourself for all the wonderful work you have done to help wateraid!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting Grace and very well written. Makes you think of everything you take for granted over here in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  20. An informative, particularly emotional blog.
    1. I have heard of the issue before
    2. Almost certainly- it provided me with enough information to bring to my conclusion.
    3. Yes
    4. Well, defiantly, due to the way your writing has captured a very emotional image in my mind of the those without water. I would consider giving a donation.
    Well done Grace, Deb:)

    ReplyDelete