A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Reach! An arm for the Armless

Thank you for taking time to visit our blog, it is much appreciated! The problem… Each year, around 60 babies in the UK are born missing part of one or both of their arms. Added to this there are the ones that lose them due to surgery or traumatic incidents. For many families this is a shock and this is the first time they will have come across a disability.

Our aim is to raise awareness and to try to gain support for our chosen organization, Reach. Reach is an organization that supports children that are missing part of one of both of their arms. Reach gives the affected children and their families the opportunity to get together and share experiences and information. Reach is also a place to go for advice on the situation at hand. We want more people to be aware of what Reach do and therefore, hoping that this will gain support for Reach as it really is a great cause.

Reach is the only organization that supports young people with such disabilities. With help from the people at Reach these children will always be considered as a normal child, living a normal life, instead of a child that is disabled!

Reach was founded in 1978 when it became known to the public that there was such thing as an electronically controlled artificial arm, which at that time was not available through the NHS! Reach campaigned to bring this electronically controlled arm into the UK for children. This, however, turned into a support group as well, helping the children live the life they deserve!


True Story… ‘I (Beth) am a member of reach myself; I personally am missing half of my left arm and hand. I have lived with this disability since birth and it was an unexpected situation for my family. My parents came across Reach just after I was born and we’ve all been supported by Reach from thereafter. I have had the opportunity to meet others like me and to get given advice on how to handle certain things. Being a member of Reach has definitely helped me and my family. I have been through a lot in my life but with the help of Reach and a loving family I live a relatively normal life and I am now able to do almost everything that someone with two hands can do (to an extent).’

Now you know why Reach is so close to our hearts and we hope you will consider supporting Reach as it is such a good cause. They have done so much for these children, why not do something for them? Thank you so much for taking the time to read our blog, if you could please give us some feedback it would be much appreciated; please try and answer the questions below as it is very important to us. If you post a response, please could you tell us where you come from i.e your home town and country (if you don’t live in the UK).

For more information visit the Reach website; www.reach.org.uk . Please help more children have the chance to live a normal life. Thank you!

o Have you ever heard of Reach before?
o Do you now feel more informed?
o Would you now be prepared to do any of the following things-
 Make a donation to Reach?
 Fundraise for Reach?
 Tell your friends and family about Reach and what it does?

We will leave you with their slogan; “It’s ability, not disability that matters”

Bethany and Sarah

9 comments:

  1. Before reading this blog, i didn't know much about Reach. I had heard of it before but didn't know what it was. I now feel much more informed about the amazing work that they do to help others. I would definitely consider talking to others about Reach and what they do and would possibly make a donation or take part in fundraising activities. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before this blog I'd never heard of reach before!
    Yes i'm definately more aware, and its made especially good as you have made it personal with yourself!
    - Yes
    - Maybe if i was given the oppurtunity
    -Yes
    I live in Devon,England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes :P
    Yes :P
    Yes :P
    Maybe :P
    Yes :P
    I live in Devon,England :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before reading this blog, i didn't know much about Reach. I have heard of it but didn't know what it was.
    I find it really good about the work they do.
    I would definitely consider making a donation or take part in fundraising activities.
    Good Luck with your advocacy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel sorry for the people who do have lost 1 or both their arms. I think reach is a good charity as it supports lives of the families as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have never heard of reach before. now i feel i know alot more about this. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Yes, I have heard of Reach before but not very much.
    2. I definitely feel much more informed, as the information I already knew was very limited.
    3.
    - Yes, I would be willing to make a donation to Reach.
    - Yes, I would love to fund raise for Reach.
    - Yes, I will definitely tell my friends and family about Reach and recommend to them the website you left a link to.

    Ellie :D [9B]
    Devon, England
    Could you please check out my blog 'Paws for Thought'?
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  8. o Have you ever heard of Reach before?
    Yes I had but I didn't know much about it.
    o Do you now feel more informed?
    I definitely feel more informed.
    o Would you now be prepared to do any of the following things-
     Make a donation to Reach?
     Fundraise for Reach?
     Tell your friends and family about Reach and what it does?
    -Yes
    -If I had the chance
    -Definitely :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. o Have you ever heard of Reach before?
    no.
    o Do you now feel more informed?
    yes.
    o Would you now be prepared to do any of the following things-
     Make a donation to Reach?
     Fundraise for Reach?
     Tell your friends and family about Reach and what it does?
    maybe, if i had an opportunity, yes.

    ReplyDelete