A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Support HCPT – Believe in Miracles!


You don’t have to be a Catholic

You don’t have to go to church

You don’t even need to believe in God

JUST OPEN YOUR MINDS AND HEARTS!

Thank you for opening my blog and I hope you learn from it! In my blog I am going to be talking all about HCPT the Pilgrimage Trust, why and how you can support it.

HCPT takes groups of disabled children on an Easter Pilgrimage to Lourdes in France. The children travel in small family-style groups with experienced volunteers and doctors. The children stay in hotels as honoured guests and get a huge amount out of the holiday. Many volunteers are needed to accompany the children, all paying their own expenses.

Why Lourdes?

Lourdes is a catholic pilgrimage site in France. Thousands of miracles have been claimed and about 70 have been proved. This is where many people disagree with HCPT, but even though it is Catholic, you don’t have to be religious in any way to take part. They focus on the spiritual rather than religious side of things and all the staff ensure that it is an unforgettable experience for the children.

So you’re probably thinking, why support HCPT? Here are a few reasons:
• The children have a truly amazing time, and they will bring back memories they will cherish forever.
• The volunteers pay for all their own expenses and help raise money for the children.
• HCPT gives the children confidence and hope for the future.
• Many of the children would have never been able to go on holiday before, so this would give their family who look after them a well deserved break.

How can you support HCPT?

• You can donate some money, every penny counts! You can donate online at the HCPT website, http://www.hcpt.org.uk/
• You can sign a petition online.
• You can take part in many fundraising events, such as cake sales and sponsored runs.
• You can even recycle your phone via HCPT!

These are only a few ways you can support HCPT, there are many more ways of helping the children have an amazing time. Isn’t it worth it, donating a few pounds to know a disabled child could be happy and hopeful? Even if there is no miraculous physical healing, there is always great emotional healing, with the children going home with memories to treasure.

Here is a YouTube link to a video of a group going to Lourdes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOEL-FEYgaw

Thank you for reading my blog! Before going off this webpage please could you show how effective this blog was by posting a comment? Please answer a few questions.

 Had you heard about HCPT before reading my blog? Do you feel more informed about it?
 Would you now support HCPT or make a donation, by donating online. Would you tell your family/friends about HCPT and persuade them to join our cause?
 Have I changed your attitude or opinion about HCPT and if so how and why?
 Could you tell me where you live (town and country) so I know how far my advocacy has reached.

Thank you so much!

Jenny

28 comments:

  1. It looks a really brilliant place, I can't beleive thousands of people are helped by lourdes and HCTP. I hadn't heard of it before but it looks a great cause to support,
    From Ellen in Torquay (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. No, yes
    2. yes!
    3. yes it's a great cause to support-you're very persuasive jenny!!
    4. exeter, england

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog and very inspirational i am more aware of the topic now thank you for this great blog :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actively involved with a local HCPT group. I believe it is a very special place and HCPT draws som very special people together as one big happy family. Everyone help and supports each other, whatever their age or ability.
    Jenny, Ottery St Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a fantastic cause. Thank you for this blog, which shows us HCPT is for everyone, not just Catholics.
    UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I have heard of HCPT and personally know what a wonderful place Lourdes is and the wonderful work HCPT does and I support it in anyway possible. Anyone who hasn't already heard of this charity would I'm sure find this blog gives a very good insight into what HCPT is all about and consequently be inspired to donate. Mary, Paignton

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Yes
    2. Yes!
    3. I've learnt much more from reading this and now want to do more than just give my moral support. I think I'd like to become a volunteer on the trips, so thank you for inspiring me.
    4. UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. [1]. Yes I do feel more informed about it.
    [2]. I would support HCPT now
    [3]. I would certainly look at supporting the cause and encouraging people I know to do so.
    [4]. I have certainly changed my mind and cannot praise enough the work that is being done
    [5]. In sunny Cornwall

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats so cute, i might not donate money but i am sure i will sign a petition! great blog.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10.  Had you heard about HCPT before reading my blog? Do you feel more informed about it?
    I hadn't heard of the charity before and now am much more informed about it.
     Would you now support HCPT or make a donation, by donating online. Would you tell your family/friends about HCPT and persuade them to join our cause?
    I would mabey dontate if i had any spare change, and will tell my family and friends if it comes up in ocnversation.
     Have I changed your attitude or opinion about HCPT and if so how and why?
    You havent influenced my opinions as before i had no opinions on this chairty, so now i am in favour for it.
     Could you tell me where you live (town and country) so I know how far my advocacy has reached.
    Ipplepen, UK(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good blog this has made me more aware

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog - very informative.
    I previously had never heard of this cause before, but it seems really good, and i would definitely spread the word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. No, I had not heard of HCPT before reasing this and I feel very much more informed after reading this.
    2. I think it is a lovely cause, but I'm not sure if I would donate or not. I would definitely tell people I know about this charity.
    3. Yes, you have changed my opinion towards this certain issue.
    4. Newton Abbot, England.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) No, i hadnt and yes, i do feel more informed
    2) it is a very good cause, but im not sure if i would donate to it, i would tell people about it
    3) I didnt know about it before but i think it is a worthwhile charity so yes.
    4) Ogwell, UK

    ReplyDelete
  15. no i hadn't heard about it before but yes i am now more informed.
    Yes i would donate
    yes
    Newton Abbot devon

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1) Do you feel more informed about it? I had not heard of HCPT before reading your blog, but I do feel more informed about it now.
    2) I would possibly tell my friends and family but probably not actively support it or donate.
    3) I now understand how pilgrimage can be beneficial for more than just religious reasons, and why this is important, yes.
    Newton Abbot

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make me want to jump in my car and drive there!
    Great blog, Jenny. Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Je ne connaissais pas.Oui.
    J'en parlerai autour de moi.
    Cela me fait prendre conscience des raisons qui procurent l'enthusiasme et la motivation des pèlerins.
    Amiens, France

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had not heard about this organisation before. Your blog is well presented and informative. I would consider supporting the group.
    Zena. Isle of Lewis, Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. I had not specifically heard about HCPT before reading your blog. I am now much better informed about this organisation. I would, however, like to know what the acronym HCPT stands for, as it is not mentioned on either your blog or the organisation's website.
    2. I would be pleased to inform others of and to make a donation on-line to assist with the activities of the HCPT.
    3. I previously had no specific knowledge of HCPT to hold an opinion but I am in awe of those who dedicate themselves to the service of others, irrespective of their religious affiliations or beliefs, disability or infirmity.
    4. Lucerne, Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had not really heard much about this before reading this blog. I will definetly tell other people about this blog.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for all the comments so far!
    HCPT originally stood for the Handicapped Children's Pilgrimage Trust, but the word 'handicapped' was dropped ten years ago for 'political correctness' reasons. Now it's known as 'HCPT the Pilgrimage Trust' because they didn't want to lose the following they already had. I included the original meaning in my online petition http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/hcpt-believe-in-miracles.html (PLEASE SIGN IT EVERYONE!) but was asked to remove the word 'handicapped'. I agree that it's a bit confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been involved in HCPT for many years. I get involved in fundraising and accompanying the "guests" to Lourdes. It is wonderful to give time and effort to those who cannot help themselves. They have a great time and we rmain friends for life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1. Yes,I have heard of HCPT before, but your blog gave me a better insight.
    2. I will probably support HCPT again. Most of my family and friends already know about it.
    3. I am interested that non-Catholics also visit Lourdes.
    4.Torquay.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had not heard of HCPT before I read your blog and listened to your interview with Father Brian Kendrick. However, I am much better informed thanks to you. I believe that everyone would benefit from the visits Lourdes, and it is wonderful that people are able to go because of HCPT. If I was able I would donate to this charity.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like a great charity, and its great that its for people of any or no faith too. I hadn't heard of it before but this blog is really informative, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for your comments so far!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds like a really good charity I had never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete