A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.
Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.
Wednesday, 22 June 2011
Why bother recycling? Here are the facts…
We all need to embrace the changes our world faces with open arms and do our best to protect it as much as we can.
Recycling can be a big bore sometimes especially when you are...
• always washing out dirty yoghurt pots for the early morning recycling collection
• constantly sorting through smelly milk bottles
• Sorting through never ending piles of mixed rubbish for recycling
Have you had to do the chores?
Well my family and I have...
But I set out to change attitudes towards recycling in my family and now I hope to maybe encourage you to recycle a bit more.
Heres the facts:
• Up to 60% of the rubbish that ends up in the dustbin could be recycled.
• The average household can save £4000 a year from recycling this… £4000!
• If all our newspaper was recycled, we could save about 250,000,000 trees each year! (That’s a lot of trees!)
• About one-third of landfill is packaging, 98% of which can be recycled!
• A typical family consumes 695 litres of Juice or squash, 400 litres gallons of milk, and 101 litres of bottled water a year. That's a lot of containers! Only 45% of which are recycled!
Sorting your rubbish into separate groups may seem horribly inconvenient to someone with busy lives probably like yourself but it’s really not much fuss-
Sort it- Place your boxes outside- And bingo!
Your waste has gone to be remade into something else and you’re helping save our planet for the future of many! Easy eh?
Not yet persuaded? Well this is the alternative...
None of us want Torbay, UK or the world to be in a situation where our children and our children’s children have to fight to keep our landscapes clean and green, our seas free from pollution and our wildlife and lives not in the threat of ruin. Here’s a video about the some of the effects on wildlife due to land fill, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yom6zlm5VqE please watch it :)
So please I’m not asking you to donate, or sign a petition I’m just asking you to RECYCLE!
Now ... If your already a recycling Junkie like myself here’s 3 little things to get you doing more..
• REDUCE the amount you buy with packaging and waste materials
• PERSUADE all your friends and neighbours to get recycling, it’s not that hard!
• KEEP your old ink cartridges; did you know they can be refilled?
If you still want more to do visit this website http://www.recycling-guide.org.uk/ it will give you many more recycling ideas!
Thank you so much for reading my blog, please can you spend a moment to post me a comment by answering the following questions;
Have I. . .
1) Changed your view on recycling? If so, how?
2) Made you more aware that recycling isn’t at all that much effort?
3) Persuaded you to be more prepared to recycle in your own home and persuade others to?
Thank you for Leaving a Comment; it will be appreciated greatly, and remember to tell me where you live (town and country) So I know how far my advocacy has reached.
Thank you again, and remember RECYCLE!