A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 21 June 2011

We must do more to support Barnardos!



First of all, I would like to say thank you for taking an interest in my blog. I hope that once you have read it, you will feel more aware about the issues Barnardos face, convinced that Barnardos is an important and worthwhile charity.

So, what does Barnardos do?

Barnardos is a charity that works with children and families all across the UK. Barnardos help people across the UK who are living in difficult situations. It is not just children that Barnardos help, but families too. They help people no matter what the background, and are not judgemental, meaning that no matter why you need help, you can contact Barnardos. Barnardos help in many different situations including:
• Families who have lost family members in difficult situations, such as suicide or murder.
• Children who have lost parents and need help to find a way in life.
• Families with a family member in prison, who may be struggling as a result.
• Victims of drug misuse.
• Victims of abuse, mental, sexual or physical.
• Child poverty or homelessness.
• Families with a disabled family member or mental health issues.

What’s this got to do with you?

Barnardos is a very important charity, and I feel that it is very important you know what Barnardos does. This is because so many people all across the country are affected in their everyday life by the issues above, and if we are aware of this then we can do our best to help. Although we may not be able to help the individual/family directly as we may not be aware that there is an issue in their life, we can help indirectly through Barnardos to make many families and individuals lives better and easier.

Once again, I would like to thank you for reading my blog, and I hope that I have succeeded in convincing you that Barnardos is worthy of your support. I would like to finish by asking you to please help me by answering the following questions, and if you come from outside of the UK please leave your hometown and country:

1) Had you heard of Barnardos before reading my blog?
2) Do you now feel more informed about what Barnardos is / does?
3) Has my blog convinced you that Barnardos is a worthwhile charity?
4) Do you feel that Barnardos is as important as other better known charities?
5) On a scale of one to ten, please rate how prepared you are to donate to Barnardos before and after reading my blog.
6) If you have any other questions, please add them on to the end of your comment.

Thank-you very much for taking the time to read and complete the questions, I am looking forward to reading your responses! For more information please visit http://www.barnardos.org.uk/.

Jess

14 comments:

  1. Bernadette Witts20 July 2011 at 19:10

    1. Yes i had heard of Barnardos before.
    2. Yes the information was very informative. I hadn't realised how many people they help and for many different reasons. I also hadn't realised that it was a UK charity.
    3. I feel Barnardos is a very worthwhile cause, more so now that I have read your blog.
    4. I think it is as important if not more important than some other charities as it involves children and their families.
    5. I feel more inclined to donate to this charity after reading your blog. on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yes, I had previously heard of Barnardos.
    2. Yes, I wasn't aware that they support families in so many ways.
    3. I believe that Barnardos is a worthwhile cause and that they offer invaluable support to children and their families.
    4. It is certainly as important as other better known charities; it is easy to forget that children in this country live in poverty or difficult circumstances.
    5. Before reading this, my inclination to donate on a scale of 1 to 10 would have been 5. Now it would be 9 or 10.
    A very informative blog which has made me aware of how much support the charity offers to families in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I had heard of Barnardos but had forgotton about them as they are not constantly in the media as some other charities are.
    2.I thought that they were only a childrens charity and didn't realise that they helped the whole family.
    3. Reading your blog has reminded me how important and worthwhile Barnardos are.
    4. I feel that this is an extremly important charity as it looks after children in the UK, many other charities tend to look after animals or foreign issues that are important but tend to over shadow those that look after issues in the UK.
    %. Yes after reading your blog you have reminded me how important Banardos are. As you have included the website it would make it easier to donate, therefore on a scale of 1-10 as to how this blog has influeneced me I would have to say 10 - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 yes
    2 yes but i hadnt any idea of what they covered until i read the above
    3 yes in particular the range of help it supports
    4 yes as far as im concerened barnardos is the one im most informed about
    5 having read the blog i am more informed about the charity and more inclined to donate on a scale of 7
    but before reading about it i would probably only donate on a scale of 3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise Brookman23 July 2011 at 15:53

    1) yes i had heard of it before after i met the author Leslie Thomas in Kingsbridge
    2) yes particularly in relation to children who have a member of the family who is disabled or terminally ill
    3) yes i always thought it was a worthwhile charity but hadnt realised the range of people helped by Barnardos
    4) yes i do, particularly as they concentrate on helping british children
    5) before reading the blog i would have been inclined to donate on a scale of 6/10 but now i would be inclined to donate on a scale of 10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.Yes, I had heard of Barnados.
    2.I now know more about Barnados. I knew that they helped children but was not aware that they helped families in such a wide range of situations.
    3.Yes, I do think Barnados is a worthwhile charity as they help many people throughout the UK.
    4.I think Barnados is as important as many other charities in the UK as they help a large number of people in a wide variety of situations.
    5.Before reading your blog I was probably a 7, now I am about a 9.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 Yes I had heard of Bernardos before
    2 Yes I didn't realise the scope of the work they did.
    3 Yes Bernardos is a worthwhile charity
    4 Tough question, it depends on what you hold important, any charity that aims to prevent pain and suffering is worthwhile. Children are much stronger than we give them credit for and it is hard to measure their ability to cope. In terms of a humanitarian charity yes it is important and I would rate it above those that deal with animals, I cannot say though weather it is more important than medical charities and environmental charities which have a borader scope. In a direct comparison with the likes of children in need, comic relief, the nspcc and other family/child centred organisations I cannot say as I do not know enough about them.
    5 I would be more inclined to donate further to reading your blog and on a scale of 1-10 I would probably say I'm about a 7.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for a very informative blog into the work that Bernardo's do
    1. I have heard of Bernardo's previously
    2. I have learnt some very interesting facts about the work that Bernados do.
    3. The blog has helped convince me that Bernardo's is a worthwhile charity because they are not afraid of tackling issues that people do not like to discuss for example drugs misuse and abuse.
    4. I feel Bernardo's are very important because they try to support the victims and their families.
    5. Before I read this blog I did not understand the full extent of their role and would not have donated I now feel that I would donate so I rate it 10

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Yes I had heard of Barnardos before

    2. The information was very informative

    3. I always thought Barnardos was a worthwhile cause but even more so now

    4. I think it is as important as other charities

    5. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would donate on a scale of 7

    6.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Yes I had heard of Barnardos before but didn't have that much knowledge of what the charity was in aid of.

    2.Yes, I am a lot more informed about what Barnardos is and does now.

    3.Yes, Your blog has convinced me that it is a worthwhile charity.

    4. Yes, I think Barnardos is just as important as it is a very good charity and it's for an excellent cause.

    5. Before reading this blog I wasn't really sure what barnardos was so I wouldn't have donated but now I'm a lot more informed and on a scale of one to ten I would say 7 is how much I'm inclined to donate.

    Great Blog Jess. Great picture,it's really eye capturing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before reading your blog, i was aware of the charity, however, i am much more informed about barnados now. It is for sure a worthwhile charity.

    A really great blog, Jess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer Hele.
    1.Yes I had heard of Barnados before.

    2.I now know a lot more about their work than I did before.

    3.Anything that helps children is a worthwhile cause.

    4. yes I do think Barnardos is as important as any other charity after reading your blog.

    5.I would definitely consider donating to this charity as I do most worthwhile ones.

    Excellent Blog Jessica

    4.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) Yes.
    2) Yes.
    3) Yes.
    4) Yes.
    5) Before: 2, after: 4

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all your comments so far, but please keep commenting!! :)

    ReplyDelete