A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 12 September 2011

We Should Ban The Cruel Cosmetic Testing On Animals!

Thank you for taking time to read our blog on cosmetic testing. Our aims are to create awareness of how much suffering is going into everyday products before going on sale to the public. We would also like to gain support for the Body Shop, as they ‘have always believed passionately that animals should not be used for animal testing’ and therefore have never tested on animals, insisting that their suppliers do the same.

Currently, around 38 000 animals including dogs, rabbits, monkeys and cats suffer from life changing injuries or result in death due to experiments being experimented on them. This will keep happening if someone does not put a stop to it, as there are still 177 worldwide companies that test on animals, including Max Factor, Maybelline, Herbal Essences, Dove and L’orĂ©al. It has also been proven that even though scientific labs test new products on animals they are not completely reliable. So why deny a living thing it right to freedom and its life for a result that isn’t even reliable to us, humans?

Animal testing has been around since the ancient Greeks during the 3rd and 4th centuries BC. Aristotle (a Greek philosopher as well as a teacher) and Erasistratus (a royal physician) were the first to perform experiments on animals. Therefore the method of testing whether substances are safe for us to use has been adapted through centuries upon centuries of what originally seemed like innocent research methods.

An alternative to animals testing is using fragments of human skin to experiment on rather than animals. Furthermore the results would be directly applicable to people. This method has been scientifically proven.

If it is so easy to stop then why do people still test on animals? The answer is simple because they think that animals are not as important as we are. However, this is completely wrong as without many of the animals we have, our lives wouldn’t be the same. If more and more people become aware of this matter we could help stop animal testing for good.

What could you do to help? We would be very grateful if you could please leave your views and comments. If you do decide to post please can you tell us where you come from i.e. your home town or country. If we stand together we can beat cosmetic testing on animals.

- Did you know about animal testing before our blog?
- Do you now feel more informed about the topic?
- Have we changes your mind in any way? If so how?

If you would like to know more about cosmetic testing on animals feel free to visit the following websites: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/nCAMPAIGNS/experiments/ALL///

29 comments:

  1. I don't understand why this happens, it isn't fair to do this to anyone just incase it is not safe. Well done for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its cruel to treat animals that way. Its disgusting how they test beauty on animals. This blog has made me more aware of the cruelty and discrimination against animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Injuring, causing pain and suffering, or killing innocent animals just to look good - is wrong. Anyone who supports testing cosmetics on animals should take a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror - then wipe whatever they've got on their face off!

    Well done for doing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I read this because when I have to do my course, I am doing animal cruelty and now I am a little more aware. I really hate the idea of the poor animals who die from animal testing, and I don't understand why it is done just for girls to put make up on. Well done on your blog, and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi to all readers. I hope we could do more either by supporting more of these kind of blogs or support those existing organisation against animal cruelty. I hope readers would choose carefully the next time they intend to purchase thier cosmetic. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this blog has made a very good point, on a subject which is generally pushed to the back of most people's mind's!! It is appaling that animals are treated this way, just so that humans can get a few luxurys!! I feel really strongly about this subject and this blog has tempted me to do this topic for my course!!! Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sad to even read about human selfish acts. How would we feel if the experiments were performed on us? keep up the good work, we need more articles to spread the awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did know about it
    You have made me more informed
    You havn't changed my opinion, but you've made it stronger,
    What an amazing blog, I wish you the best in you journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is definitely good when such awareness is constantly spread to the general public. Perhaps by educating the public we could place pressure on companies to take up this issue seriously especially when this impact their sales and the publicty of their companies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I hope more beauty product companies could highlight their no testing on animal policies for public to be aware of such products.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didnt know that they did this.I was shocked to see that Hearble Essences did animal testing.I will try to stay away from products that do this.I hope more companies stop using animal testing.

    Thanks for letting me know about this x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think it is disgraceful and i was shocked when i read this blog i think it stresses the point very well. You have made me more aware about this terrible thing and i will make sure i dont buy any products that have been tested like that.
    Well done !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did know about animal testing but feel much better informed now. I have always tried to buy products that haven't been developed by testing on animals, but it's not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Animals have rights, unfortunately they are not often respected by Man. If humans are supposed to have a right to self-determination so should animals. If animals had a choice, they would not want to be locked up, being pumped full of chemicals, have cancer cells planted into their otherwise healthy bodies or be slaughtered and eaten.

    If you really think about it, its all about selfishness and a lack of respect for life on this planet. Its about going about one's life with one's head in a paperback and attempting not to think about the suffering that results from man wanting to live an overinflated life, consuming more meat than he needs, and then needing to remedy that with drugs tested on animals.

    Live and let live. You want to live, respect the rights of other living things that also want the right to live.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Over here in Germany, there isn't much being done to highlight this problem. It's refreshing that issues such as this are being tackled at the ground level in schools as the younger generation of today are the future consumers of tomorrow.As a pet-lover myself, I think it is ethically wrong to use animal testing. No one who has pets would stand having this being done to their own pets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only knew the basics on animal testing before reading this blog.
    This blog has informed me on the products that are against testing on animals and where it originally started from.
    You have definitely changed my view on this topic. I would now consider supporting and changing the products that I buy.
    Well Done :)
    Torquay, Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew about animal testing and have tried to avoid using any products tested on animals. Your blog was informative and made me more aware of this important issue.
    Jenny, Torquay

    ReplyDelete
  18. This blog definitely opened my eyes. Animals can feel pain just like we do. To treat them as if they were inferior to us, is an inhumane act especially when it comes to cosmetics which is only used for pure vanity. We are the real animals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, and I strongly opposed it.
    Yes, I had no idea about the lengths that the Body Shop goes to, to avoid animal testing. Or about how cosmetic animal testing came about.
    Not really. I still oppose it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Agreed--we consumers have choices and we can choose to buy products which aren't tested on animals. Plus, it's easier than ever before to find information online stating which companies do and don't test animals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cosmetic testing is cruel! If there are alternatives to this harsh method then why arent we doing them?

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. I did, but I never really thought about it
    2. Yes, I felt that your blog was very informatice - especially how you wrote about the history
    3. I feel more concerned about how ethical animal testing is, however I think I would need to know more about it before changing the products I use. Also, products which haven't been tested by animals can be more expensive - which can be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i hate animal testing it should bestopped at once its horrible and cant belive it still going on

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is very informative and i didnt know anything about it already. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is amazing;ive chosen this subject for my citizenship thing; gave me some information and amazing facts on it :)xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. i agree, this is something i also feel very stongly about, i make an effort to get products that are not tested on animals. you have some good facts about it,
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  27. I definitly feels more informed, for one thing, i myself am doing an animal testing advocacy and never knew about the alternative testing on human skin fragments and agree completely that we should test on that rather than on the animlas as it would be more accurate and better the animals. They are just as important as we are. Thanks. Ella

    ReplyDelete
  28. yes I did know about testing before reading this, but never realized how serious and great this problem is. I will definitely support this in any way possible, thanks.

    ReplyDelete