A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 5 September 2011

Stop The Animals Suffering, support the RSPCA

Thank you for taking an interest in my blog! I personally love animals and this subject was very important to me. I truly believe the RSPCA are worth supporting as they do critically important work for animals all over the country and in Wales. Although the RSPCA already have many wonderful supporters, they rely heavily on the public’s support and the support they receive helps them continue their amazing work.

I’m sure most people are aware of the RSPCA and the work they do, but for those who don’t: The RSPCA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, work all over the UK and in Wales. They (in every possible legal way) prevent cruelty, promote kindness and care for animals in any situation.

I aim to raise awareness to the work the RSPCA do and I would love to gain some support for the charity.


I thought I should share with you the story of the Amersham Horses as I feel it truly highlights the vitally important work the RSPCA, along with similar charities, do. In 2008 more than 100 horses were removed from the horrifying conditions at Spindle Farm near Amersham, Buckinghamshire. This has been names one of the most disgusting and costly animal cruelty cases ever seen. The media followed the situation from the very beginning and the public were horrified at the upsetting images of more than 100 horses suffering in squalid conditions at the horse dealer’s farm. Fortunately some of the horses made the journey from hopeless horror to a happy life with hope for the future. In one specific case on the farm, 9 live horses were being kept in a tiny little pen with two already dead horses. On the farm there were 32 dead horses and over 100 horses had to be removed. The conditions were absolutely revolting and very upsetting to learn about. It was a joint effort between related animal charities, including the RSPCA, to get horses off the farm into healthy conditions and on the road to recovery. The RSPCA took in 41 of the horses and 5 foals were later born in their care. All of them recovered and most of them were able to be re-homed. It was a disturbing case but with the work of the RSPCA and the other charities did; there was a happy ending for these horses. In total this operation cost the charities £2.3 million! All this money came from the dedicated supporters!

When you support the RSPCA you support work like this, you support the animals who are at the receiving end of the pain and you give them hope.

You don’t need to do much to make a difference. You could donate a little bit of money, volunteer at one of the shelters or charity shops, you could fundraise, join an RSPCA campaign or adopt one of the lovely animals who would love a new home.

Kindness to animals can make life better, not just for the animals, but also for people. Whatever animals mean to you- a treasured companion, a wild marvel, a working animal, or food produce- treating all living creatures with compassion has benefits for you too.

I would really appreciate it if you could please take the time to answer these questions in a comment:

• Are you now more aware of the work the RSPCA do?
• Would you now consider supporting the RSPCA if you didn’t already?
• Did you already know anything about the RSPCA?
• Could you please leave your home town/country in your comment, if you’re not in the UK

Thank you very much for taking an interest in this topic and reading my blog! If you would like any further information please visit www.rspca.org.uk or leave a question in your comment.

6 comments:

  1. I had to post a comment on one of the blogs for my homework for Mr Charlwood. I chose this one because I think I am going to do the RSPCA for my charity. Now I know more about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so strongly about the cruelty to animals that happens in this country. It isn't fair to treat animals this way and after reading this blog i have gone home and asked my parents to support the RSPCA well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you are completly right and i also hope to be able to make an blog on this subject because of it importance to me. i do not think that animals should be dumped at thew RSPCA! thank you for the blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great charity to support. Thanks to your blog I understand more about the charity. Good job :)!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you now more aware of the work the RSPCA do?
    I already knew a lot about the RSPCA

    Would you now consider supporting the RSPCA if you didn’t already?
    Yes it is a worthwhile cause

    Did you already know anything about the RSPCA?
    Yes I did but I did not know about the Amersham horses.

    Thanks this is a great charity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you now more aware of the work the RSPCA do?
    Yes, this story is very powerful and sows just how much RSPCA does.

    Would you now consider supporting the RSPCA if you didn’t already?
    Yes! I would consider donating if it helped all of the poor animals have a better life.

    Did you already know anything about the RSPCA?
    Yes I know about the work they do but know I know more about what kind of work they do.

    This is a really good blog, well done.

    ReplyDelete