A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Size 0 – Know the facts


My name is Chloe and firstly, I would like to thank you for taking an interest in my blog. I hope that after you have read it, you will become more aware of my chosen issue.

The number of teenagers with anorexia has shot up over the last few years. Last year, 84,377 bed days were taken up by those suffering from eating disorders - the equivalent to about 232 beds a day - up from 51,878 in 2002.

Many girls with eating disorders are mostly influenced by either celebrities or others around them. I’m sure you have heard of the term ‘Size 0’. This refers to the smallest size of women’s clothing in the US catalogue system and is roughly equivalent to a UK size 4. It is often used to portray extremely thin individuals (especially women), or trends associated with them.

This is life threatening. Many people and celebrities have died because their bodies could not cope with the severe changes. Anaemia,

One of the main types of people suffering from anorexia or similar eating disorders are budding models. Many model agencies only accept applicants or a certain weight, size and height.

The charily I have chosen is called SWEDA (Somerset and Wessex Eating Disorders Association). They do amazing things for men, women, boys and girls with eating disorders. They are based in Somerset, in the Southwest of England, with the aim of serving those in Somerset and surrounding counties who are affected. Here is the link to the SWEDA website:
http://www.swedauk.org/

Thank you again for taking an interest in my blog. I would be very grateful if you would please answer the following questions. If you do post a response, please can you tell me where you come from i.e. your home town & country (if not UK!)

1). Do you now feel more informed about the issue regarding Size 0/anorexia?
2).Would you support SWEDA by making a donation?
3).Before reading the blog, were you aware that anorexia/size 0 was such a big problem.
4).Would you now join a fundraising campaign?

Thank you again for reading my blog.

Chloe

15 comments:

  1. 1.yes, i never knew there was that many
    2.mmmm yes but not ALOT.
    3.yes, but not in much detail
    4.whats that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your article on anorexia, i have dealt with those suffering from it in a professional capacity and know the pain and heartbreak it can cause. I have not heard of SWEDA, does it deal with those people who need help in Devon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, i believe they do help those suffering in Devon and the surrounding counties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this blog. Hopefully it will make more people aware of the rising problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i knew that lots of people suffered from eating disorders but i didnt realise how many and how big the situation has got since 2002!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know about anorexia but I never realised it was that bad. Why do celebs have to be so skinny. Fair enough you might want to be skinny but size 0 is just too far

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Yes, I feel very informed about the issue
    2. Yes although it wouldn't be my first choice
    3. No, I knew it was a problem but not this big of a problem.
    4. Yes, after reading this blog I would.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) No
    4) Yes

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big thanks to everyone who has left a comment on my blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really interesting, it is an exvelent blog and i am very well informed after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. yes i do
    2. yes
    3. i didnt realise it was that many people sick
    4. i would defineately

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought that eating disorders were that bad. now that i know , i will try and support this charity , SWEDA .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard about it before but wasn't very clear about it. Now that I have read it, I feel much more informed. i really don't know why every one wants to be a size 0. It is not great after all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1).Yes this was detailed, informative and useful blog. I learnt how big of an issue anorexia is.
    2). I would make a small donation in order to help those in need.
    3). I knew it was a problem but during the last couple of years, anorexia has increased which could be due to celebrities, bullying, ect as you said in your blog. I think its scary and very sad.
    4).YES.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is really informative and I have learnt alot from it. It is horrifying to think about the pressure which young people are put under by the media and as a teenage girl I know how difficult it is to resisit the urge to follow celebrities and those you see in the media. If I knew it would help people suffering from anorexia or other eating disorders i would make a small donation to the charity and I definitely support its aims.

    ReplyDelete