A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We should do more to help the hens




Thank you very much for coming to look at our blog. We both feel very strongly about the British Hen Welfare Trust! We are trying to advocate the BHWT as we don’t think many people are very clued in about it. We would like, after you have read our blog, for you to feel differently or more strongly perhaps about the BHWT. We would like to change people’s opinion on the BHWT and to raise more awareness on the cause.

We want to try and help more hens all over the country that are being cruelly kept in small cages and dirty barns. The BHWT aims to help to give new homes to retired battery hens, to keep them from being slaughtered and sold for meat. Many chickens all over the country have already been saved from these awful conditions (shown on the picture below) thanks to the help of the BHWT, but many more still need to be saved.

You can help them by…
• Sponsoring a chicken – you can choose from a selection of chickens to sponsor, and at just £17.99 (all the money goes to the buying of food and bedding etc) you receive a certificate of sponsorship, a car sticker, your chosen hens story and pictures, two blank greetings cards and a six months update on your hens progress.
• Donating some money – donate a few pounds to help the BHWT to buy some food, bedding or maybe even a trailer to pick chickens up in.
• Adopting some hens – adopting hens can be a very rewarding thing to do; they are easy to care for and are very loving. It also helps to get the poor chickens out of the cages as well.
These are just some of the ways that you can help them.

Thank you again for reading our blog and if you have any time if you could please answer the questions below about the blog and the BHWT. That would help us a lot and if you would like to leave a personal comment as well please feel free to do that as well. If you would like any more information you can go to www.bhwt.org.uk.

• Have you ever heard of the British Hen Welfare Trust before you read this blog?
• Do you feel well informed about this cause?
• Have we changed your opinion on the cause? Why or how?
• Would you be prepared to do any of the things we have suggested? If yes, which one(s)?
• Would you sign our petition to get more free-range products in supermarkets? If yes then go to …. and sign up.
• Would you tell your family and friends to help the BHWT?

Thank you once again for taking the time to read and reply to our blog and we hope you will now help the hens!

Daisy and Laura

16 comments:

  1. 1. No i hadent
    2. Yes i do now i have read it, i have learnt lots more facts
    3. No you havent, i have always felt that cruelty to hens is bad, but u have helped me to know more about the case
    4. I would be prepared to pay a couple of punds to the bhwt
    5.I would definoutely sing your petition
    6.Yes, i would
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard of th BHWT before I read the blog. I didnb't realise quite how bad some of the conditions were. I always buy free range eggs and meat and will definately try to convert more people to this way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate how badly battery hens are treated and my whole family refuse to buy eggs from battery hens because of the way they are treated. We should hopefully be getting some hens and there is no way that we would ever treat a beautiful animal like that so badly. Brilliant Blog Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. No
    Yes
    I already felt that this was not right
    I dont know
    I dont know
    Yes

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1)No, I had never heard of the British Hen Welfare Trust before.
    2)Yes, after reading the blog I do feel more informed about Battery Hens.
    3)I have not changed my opinion because I felt that it was wrong before and this blog has made my view on it even stronger.
    4)I would be prepared to donate a few pound to buy them bedding or food so they may live a better life.
    5)Yes, I would definatly sign up to your petition to get more free range products in supermarkets.
    6)I would tell my friends and family to support this trust because i think it is cruel to keep hens in such confined spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didnt know what a lot of chickens have been through! i have never heard of a battery hen but now i no and i think it is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of the charity
    I do feel well informed and I intend to make sure all the eggs we buy are free range.
    I will be Donating money and buying free range and maybe I could talk to my parents about some chickens in the garden!
    Yes and finally Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No I hadn't
    After reading this blog yes
    I didn't have an opinion but I agree they shouldn't be kept as battery hens
    Yes, donating money, possibly sponsoring a chicken
    Yes
    Yes I would.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of the BHWT and i agree that hens should not be kept in this way. My family and i are actually adopting some hens from the BWHT soon as we believe it is a very worthwile trust

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Yes, I had.
    2. I do feel well informed.
    3. You haven't changed my opinion, because I always felt that hens shouldn't be treated like this, but I now know more about it.
    4. I would donate, and I WOULD adopt one if I was allowed to.
    5. Yes
    6. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. • Have you ever heard of the British Hen Welfare Trust before you read this blog?
    -No I hadn't
    • Do you feel well informed about this cause?
    -Yes after reading this blog and i will continue buying free range eggs (:
    • Have we changed your opinion on the cause? Why or how?
    -i already belive in chickens beign free range, but now i feel more strongly about it because i know more (:
    • Would you be prepared to do any of the things we have suggested? If yes, which one(s)?
    -I would donate money now and/or raise awareness about the organusation
    • Would you sign our petition to get more free-range products in supermarkets? If yes then go to …. and sign up.
    -YES.
    • Would you tell your family and friends to help the BHWT?
    -Definately (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with this!!! I have 6 battery hens at home and work with a charity to stop it. I will warn friends and family to by organic free range eggs and chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daisy and Laura,
    I'm a vegetarian, never eat non-freerange and feel really strongly about this issue. I think its apawling the enviroment hens are kept in. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) yes i had
    2)very well informed
    3)no, because i was always opposed
    4)sponsor a chicken
    5)yes
    6)yes

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think we should free chickens! i think that it is harsh :/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. I have heard of it and I think it's great.
    2. I feel much more informed about what can be done to help.
    3. I already thought battery farms were horrible.
    4. When I'm older I probably would.
    5. Defiitely, I always tell my parents to buy free-range chicken and eggs.
    6. Yes

    ReplyDelete