A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We should all support Toybox!


Hello, and thank you for taking an interest in my blog! Toybox is something I feel passionate about, and I believe that many people do not know about the wonderful things Toybox does.

When you have read my blog, I hope you will come round to my way of thinking and perhaps even volunteer to help Toybox yourself!

I think Toybox is a fantastic charity that helps children on the streets in Latin America. Street children stay alive by their wits, stealing and scavenging, begging and sleeping rough in parks, shop doorways and in dumps. Children are orphaned, abandoned, neglected or abused, often running away to a worse plight on the streets. But Toybox believes that every child needs the opportunity to experience life in all its fullness.

Just before christmas, Michael used to live on the streets until Toybox found her. Today, Michael says: "I do not sniff glue anymore and I feel good. I could have been on the streets as a junkie, but now I know I can have a better life."

These are a few reasons why people should help Toybox;

• Every child deserves a childhood.
• Children should not be exposed to violence that they receive.
• One of the Rights of the Child is: "Every child has the right to express his/her own views freely in all matters affecting them." But being on the street they can't do this.
• Children die at such an early age because of abuse and the use of drugs.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Please post me a response with your thoughts. In particular, it would be great if you could write a few words in answer to the following questions:

• Had you heard about Toybox before reading my blog?
• Do you now feel more informed about my issue?
• Would you now be prepared to make a donation to Toybox?
• Would you tell your family and friends about this charity and try and persuade them to help their cause?

If you want to make a donation to Toybox, call 0845 466 0010 or visit www.Toybox.org to find out more!

17 comments:

  1. 1) No I had not
    2) Yes I do
    3) Yes certainly,
    4) Yes I would.
    I think this is a great charity, and is a great way to put a smile on children,living on the streets, faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I hadn't heard of Toybox before.
    2)Much more.
    3)I would happily give some money.
    4)I would definatly metion something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of toybox before but know that i have i would really like to help with the situation as i agree that every child should have a child hood and a good life with a good career as they grow up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No i had never heard of Toybox before
    Definately
    yeah i would give some money
    I would definately tell other people about this charity as i think its brilliant!I think that every one deserves a good childhood and its really upsetting when you here about all these children living on the streets with no food and water.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. No i had not.
    2. i feel much more informed.
    3. Yes, i would be willing to make a donation.
    4. Yes i would definatly inform them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) No i hadn't heard about Toybow before i read this
    2) After i read your blog, i felt more informed about what toybow did to help others.
    3)Yes i would
    4)Yes, i would tell everyone because it seems like a very good cause so i would try to spread awareness (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. No I hadn't heard about this charity before but I had heard about the street children. I might be prepared to make a donation but only if you would publish exactly what it is this charity does. Does it provide shelter, clothes education etc

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have helped me understand toybow now and i feel as if i should give a donation!
    also i wouldnt need to persuade my family because if i show them your blog i expect they would donate straight away!
    and no i didnt here about toybow before this blog but i know a lot of knowlege now
    thanks x :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never heard of toybox before but it sounds really good! I now know what it is and a bit on it. I would definetely consider donating to Toybox! I will tell my family and friends certainly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this blog's writer15 September 2010 at 21:06

    In answer to 'Mrs Medhurst', they spend the money on food and shelter and different activities for the children to do. The money also pays for people to get children off the streets and funding towards finding foster-parents for some of the children. They also have to employ a lot of people to help, for example; doctors, social workers, and just general people to help the children. The money goes towards basic things that would help these children such as; blankets, pillows, food, toys(for the very young), and many more.

    But the best thing is that not only do you help poor children by donating, you could even buy things (such as bags and jewllery)by ordering them from the online catalogue on this webpage http://www.toybox.org.uk/gifts/crafts-and-accessories/ at least 85% goes towards helping the children.

    Thankyou once again by commenting on this blog, and don't forget to tell your friends about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. no i hadnt heard of toybox before
    2. yes i do :)
    3. yes but after i get my christmas money :D
    4. yes, definitley

    ReplyDelete
  12. i had never heard of toybox before now, but i really understand the problems. i would definately help by donating at some point :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. • no, never!
    • yes, the story was quite overwhelming.
    • yes definately!
    • yeah, its a very worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i had heard of toybox before i read your blog but i didnt really know what it was about, and yes i do feel more informed about your issue, and i would make a donation to your charity. i would terllmy family and friends about this cause i believe that every child deserves a better future and shouldnt live on the streets or 'sniffglue' and do drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. no
    2. yes
    3. yes
    4. yes

    I had never heard of toybox before but it sounds like a good organization! I also feel that it is important for children to have a childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi, thanks to everyone who has commented on my blog! this will really help :D thanks :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. no
    yes
    yes
    yes
    Iit sounds excellent

    ReplyDelete