A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

Teenagers need body confidence!


Hi, my name is Milly and before I start I just want to thank you for taking an interest in my blog. In 2009 a survey was carried out on teenagers in England and it found that 70% are unhappy with their bodies. This is a shocking amount. I feel that all teenagers, boys and girls, need to be comfortable with themselves and that it why I am supporting TV style guru Gok Wan, who I’m sure you have heard of. I want to help him put Body Confidence lessons on the School Curriculum. I would like all teenagers to be able to see that they do have good qualities.

We are influenced by the media and most of the photos that you see in magazines and newspapers have been airbrushed. This means that they have been modified technologically using a computer. I want to help people who believe that they have no good qualities in their appearance realise that they do. I feel that we need to have Body Confidence Lessons for the following reasons;

• The lessons will teach us to be happy with the qualities that we have and to focus on the good points, not the bad points.
• The lessons, although they will be held only occasionally, will be fun and interactive and relative to a teenager’s problems.
• These lessons are not just for teenage girls, they are used for boys too, and with good reason. The same survey I mentioned before found that only 13% of boys are comfortable with the way they look.
• The lessons also teach teenagers how to dress for their shape and size, and to remember that the pictures of models and celebrities in the magazines may be airbrushed.
• The lessons will also teach teenagers about the dangers of cosmetic surgery and because 48% of teenage girls are considering cosmetic surgery.

I thank you again for reading and being interested in my advocacy to put Body Confidence on the School Curriculum. Please tell me what your opinion is by posting a comment. Or, you could even write a short response, which would be great and very useful for my coursework, to some of the following questions;

1. Had you heard of Gok Wan’s campaign before reading this blog, and if so do you support it?
2. After reading this blog, do you feel more informed an aware of the issue?
3. Have I changed your opinion about Body Confidence Lessons and if so, how?
4. Would you now be prepared to support Gok Wan and myself by raising awareness for our campaign?
5. Would you be prepared to tell your family and friends about the issue?

Thank you for your time,
Milly

(Gok Wan and his co-advocate Shona Collins (Miss Naked Beauty 2008) deliver their petition to Number 10.)

31 comments:

  1. 1) No, I hadn't
    2) Yes
    3) I dont know
    4)Maybe
    5)Yes

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i had heard and i think that it is a really good blog because teenager shouldnt worry about want they look like all the time,but magazines dont help because they always make all the celebraties look amazing when really everybody has lillte bites of there body that there not happy with

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes, results are appalling
    4. yes
    5. no

    ReplyDelete
  4. no i hadn't but yes i do support it.
    yes i do.
    yes you have but im not sure how.
    yes.
    yes i would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes
    yes
    no
    yes
    yes i would

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) yes i have and i do support it
    2)yes
    3) no because i already agreed
    4)yes
    5)yes

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. No, i hadn't
    2. Yes i do, very much so
    3. I didn't know there were body confidence lessons before, so i have been informed
    4. Yes
    5. Yes

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. No, I hadn't and yes, I do now support it.
    2. yes.
    3. yes, I think these classes would be a great thing and really help people to like themselves more.
    4. Definatley
    5. yes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Err.. well i didnt hear about this certain campaign but ive heard of him :L
    2. Yeahh well donee (:
    3. You havent changed my views (because i already agree with the idea) but you have made them stronger (;
    4. Yep.
    5. Yes sir-eeee (: - starting on Monday (;

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya Milly

    No I had not heard of Gok Wan's campaign before reading this blog, however now I do know about it I support it.

    I do feel more informed and aware of the issue.

    I support body confidence lessons completly as I think it important that people are happy with their bodies, therefore giving them the confidence they need in life socially.

    I will certainly send this link to several of my friends and will tell family and colleagues of this issue.

    Thank you for raising my awarness about Body confidence issues and how some people are trying to solve them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) Yes
    2)Yes
    3) No,l i agreed they should be held already but if i hadnt, your blog woul;dve have changed my opinion
    4)Yes
    5)Yes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I had heard of it before and I definatly support it.
    Yes i do feel more informed because I didnt know much about it before.
    You havent changed my opinion because I already supported it.
    Yes I would be glad to help support it.
    Yes I will tell them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Milly,
    i definately think that this is a good cause and a great idea. I am very shocked about some of the facts that you have put on here and that has helped persuade me to support your cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats a really good idea but i do feel that it is somewhat unfeesable because there is so much academic lessons to fit into the timetables as well
    1)no but i had herd of him fashion fix and how to look good naked ;)
    2)kind of
    3)kind of its a good idea but...
    4) yeah maybe
    5)no i dont have friends

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard about this before but not in depth. I am now more informed and I think that its appalling that so many people feel that bad with there body

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't heard of this campaign before. I think its kind of important that teenagers have body Confidence and that they should never let themselves down about what they dress like or what size they are.
    5)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hadn't heard of Gok Wan's campain but now that i have, i really am interested in it and it's awful that so many teenagers have such little body confidence!! I would definately tell my friends and family because they don't always understand how it feels. I would also really like to help raise awareness about this issue. I don't have body confidence lessons in my school!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. nope
    yep
    yep, i think it should go ahead
    yep
    yep

    i hadn't heard of this before so i'm glad i read it. it's also quite interesting, and i think it would be cool if we had this lesson in school

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes, I definately think they should happen because it would give lots of girls and boys a lot more body confidence
    4) Yes
    5) Yes

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1) No, I haven't heard of that before.
    2) Yes :)
    3) I think this is quite a good idea, although students might be nervous in lessons or worried about lessons and speaking personally in front of their class so may leave the lesson with unanswered questions.
    4) I feel it is a good idea but I am not sure it would work out, as i pointed out above.
    5) Yes definetly.

    :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1)yes and i do support it
    2)yes
    3)yes
    4)yes
    5)yes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have breifly heard about the campaign before I read this blog and deffinitely support it!
    I certainly think that this should happen, and would tell my friends and family about it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Milly,
    I saw Gok launch his campain on television. I completely agree that teens need more confidence. One of the most stunning people I know got anorexia and it nearly killed him. He spent 2 months recovering in hospital. I don't think this should've happened and I hate to think that lots of teenagers don't like their bodies.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey Milly!
    I think this is a really good blog, and i thik that these lessons would be really good fun. i had heard about it before, and yes, i do support it.I would be willing to tell people about it as I think it is a great issue. xxx
    p.s please check out my blog, it's about toybox!

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1. no, i hadnt heard of this campaign before
    2. yes i have been more informed
    3. yes because i now realise that this would have a big impact on how teenagers feel about themselves
    4. yes
    5. yes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Milly,
    1) Yes, i saw gok wan and shona collins on tv, and i very much agree with their campaign
    2) Yes, I feel much more informed and aware of the issuse, before i didn't have much of an idea what this was really about but after reading this blog, it has really opened my eyes about the topic.
    3) Yes, you have changed my mind on the issue. Before i just thought that putting this in the Curriculum was a waste of time. After reading this you have changed my mind and i think that body confidence should definatly be squeezed into our school day
    4) Yes i would be very willing to support you campaign
    5) Yes i would definatally tell my friends and family about this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW. I had no clue that my dear Gok was launching a campaign like this. I think this is a really good idea because everyone is beautiful in their own special way and some people just need to be reminded that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hi milliy!
    i wasnt aware about gok's campaign but know i feel more informed and completelyagree with your argument! many teenages dont feel comfortable in their own skin, including myself and i think more should be done!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think this is a great cause and Gok is definatly right. I support this campaign and wish you and gok best of luck!! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Milly I agree that this a very important issue that should be covered during the year in schools. I am glad that you highlighted that is not just a problem for girls, but boys too! Many pupils I have taught in the past are so anxious about their body shape that it often has a detrimental affect in their PE lessons, causing them to lack confience and not achieve their full potential!
    Pupils are under pressure by the media to dress matching the latest fashions and buy the most expensive make-up, hair accessories and style magazines.
    This is all very well, but teenage girls and boys should just wear what makes them feel comfortable and secure in their own appearance. Everyone is an individual and should be proud of their own looks and appearance!

    Good luck with the project!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. thank you everyone who has posted on my blog!
    it's really helped with the coursework :-)

    ReplyDelete