A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

WARNING - Beach Barbeques!


Zarah Murray (5) received severe burns to her foot after walking on a BBQ.

Thank you very much for taking an interest in our blog! Many of you I’m sure like to have a barbeque on the beach with your families and friends but after reading our blog we hope you will know a bit more about the downsides and consequences of them. We are focusing on one beach in particular, Maidencombe beach.

Maidencombe beach could become one of the many beaches polluted by barbeques. Around the country many beaches have had some serious injuries and illnesses because of them. For example;

• On the 23rd March 2010, barbeques were banned from Portsmouth beach before 8pm for safety. It is an attempt to stop children from stepping on hot barbeques that have been buried under the pebbles. In 2004 a three year old boy suffered from bad burns after treading on a disposable barbeque left lying around. For more information go to; http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Barbecues-banned-from-beach-before.6172401.jp.

• 14-year-old Annie from Cornwall goes surfing regularly. She suffered severe headaches and was vomiting after going surfing in polluted waters. The water turned brown and put many people off. She says, “The government should do something about it but everyone can make a difference. My message to everyone is keep it clean. People can help by not leaving litter on the beach. Don't go to the toilet in the sea and think about what you flush down the loo”.
Here are some other dangerous facts;
• The smoke is harmful to Asthmatic children and adults. It is also unpleasant and unhealthy for others around you to inhale.
• Hot stones; abandoned, hot barbeques (disposable) and charcoal are dangers to beach users, dogs and wildlife. Hot stones shatter when they warm up and can also cause injury
• Most beach pollution (e.g. disposable barbeques) ends up getting dragged our by the tide which can harm sea life and sometimes small fishing boats. Also jellyfishes’ ideal habitats are in polluted waters so it’ll be more likely that there will be more jellyfish along the coast.

Our aim is to either ban barbeques completely, or ban during daytime hours providing all litter is cleared up and hot stones and charcoal are dealt with in the appropriate way.

Thank you so much again, for taking the time to read our blog. Please comment below and share your opinion by answering these questions!

* Before you read our blog, were you aware of this issue? If so, were you for/against/undecided?
* After reading our blog, do you feel more informed about the consequences and downsides of having barbeques on the beach?
* Would you be prepared to take action? E.g. sign a petition, raise awareness.
* Have we changed your opinion about having barbeques on beaches?

We are starting our advocacy at Maidencombe beach but you could help us by making beaches near YOU safe! If you would like more information on keeping your beach clean, go to http://www.goodbeachguide.co.uk.

Thank you again!
Jean & Freya

20 comments:

  1. 1)Before I read the blog, I had no clue this is what could happen.
    2)I feel more aware so if I do have a barbeque on a beach, i'll be careful.
    3)I would sign a petition.
    4)I didn't have one in the first place, but now I have a rough idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. before i read your blog i didnt mnd barbeques on the beach but i didnt the the consequences of them. i now dont like it when people have barbeques on the beach

    ReplyDelete
  3. * No i wasn't
    * Yes, i feel a lot more informed
    * Yes
    * I have never really had a barbeque on the beach, so i didn't really have an opinion

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont think there is much you can do about littering nice people will put it in the bin nasty people wont :/ simple as :/ x

    ReplyDelete
  5. now i know how bad beach bbqs are i will never have one ever again! i used to think that they were okay if you cleaned up after yourself but now i know that the smoke harms as well then i know that they should be banned for good. I would now sign a petition and tell people off if they have a bbq on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No i wasnt aware of the issue and i was undecided.
    Yes
    i would be prepared to sign a petition
    I never have and never will have a beach barbeque

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I read your blog I didn't really think as beach barbeques being a huge issue but now I have read your blog I have now changed my mind towards the waste. I am definitly more aware of this issue and will think of others when I have a beach barbeque.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before i read your blog, i didn't know that this was an issue.
    i feel so much more informed because now i know to look out for them and to tell the people i know about the risks.
    i would like to say that you had changed my opinion on your topic, but i think that as long as people are respectful to others around them and dispose of the barbeques properly, then i don't really see the harm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Before i read this blog i never realised that this was a problem and never thought about people leaving barbeques on beaches.
    2. I feel more informed on the matter after redaing this blog and i will be telling my family about it.
    3. I would be prepared to sign a potition.
    4. I did not have an opinion on barbeques on beaches before.

    This is one of my favourite blogs. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi jean,
    i think this is very important and i would sign a petition to courage people to be aware of these things! I think its really important because like you mentioned at the beginning people can get badly burned by stepping on barbequeues.

    molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had heard about this issue before I read this blog. You have really informed me about the things I did not know about barbeques on beaches. I never have had a barbeque on a beach before and probably never will after reading this blog. A very shocking issue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that people should be allowed to have BBQ's but not near the beach. It is terrible that people suffer from severe burns because of somebody else's rubbish. It should be stopped as the beach is a place for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for commenting on our blog! I appreciate your opinions and I know that some of you still like to have a barbeque on the the beach so I was wandering if you think it would be a good idea to not have barbeques during the daytime but during night and evening hours? Thanks, Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jean and Freya,

    This is a great blog!

    * Before you read our blog, were you aware of this issue?
    I wasn't aware of the issue being a problem at all.
    * After reading our blog, do you feel more informed about the consequences and downsides of having barbeques on the beach?
    yes, I do feel more informed. However, this would not stop me having a BBQ on the beach with my friends. We'd just have to be more careful to clear up properly.
    * Would you be prepared to take action? E.g. sign a petition, raise awareness.
    I would help to raise awareness that it is an issue, but I wouldn't want it banned completed. Perhaps allocating a certain area of the beach to BBQ's would be better?
    * Have we changed your opinion about having barbeques on beaches?
    No, I'm still very much for beach BQQ's so long as people are responsible enough to clean up after themselves

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea how dangerous beach BBQs could be! I always thought it was a great idea to have BBQs on a beach but now i realise its not such a great idea! thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was aware of this issue but I didn't hink it was this bad. You've informed me and changed my opinions. I think I'll have less regular beach barbeques. I always remember to clean everything up and stay away from other members of the public anyway. I would help you take action.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a very good blog, you gave examples of inguries linked with your issue!!! I know someone who stepped on a BBQ left on the beach and also suffered extreme burns. I think they should be banned during the day on beachs that are used regularly, then after 8pm they are allowed so longs they disposse of their BBQ properly!!
    Emma :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for all your comments guys keep it up, we really appreciate it! thanks, freya :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with what you are saying however the fact is you can't stop people having beach bbq's !

    ReplyDelete
  20. * Before you read our blog, were you aware of this issue? If so, were you for/against/undecided?
    i was not aware of the issue before hand.

    * After reading our blog, do you feel more informed about the consequences and downsides of having barbeques on the beach?
    yes i do.

    * Would you be prepared to take action? E.g. sign a petition, raise awareness.
    yes i would happily sign a petition.

    * Have we changed your opinion about having barbeques on beaches?
    yes :)

    ReplyDelete