A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 25 March 2013

Let’s raise lots of money, and help CHSW make a child’s last moments sunny!



Hi, my name is Amy, and I am supporting what I believe is a really worthy cause for my GCSE Citizenship advocacy. Firstly, thank you for taking an interest in my blog, all about Children’s Hospice South West and its amazing work, who I am an advocate for. There are so many well-known charities out there, like the British Heart Foundation and Oxfam whose shops you can donate to; but I believe that little charities like CHSW can make a big difference- with your help.
 
Anybody that has ever been in hospital will know just how scary the experience can be, with lots of unfamiliar machines and people. Families cannot be with their children in a hospital constantly for months on end, and to go it alone needs incredible bravery. Imagine being given a death sentence, knowing that whatever you or anybody else does, nothing will help. Nobody deserves that.
And this is where Children’s Hospice South West comes in. They can’t provide a life-saving pill, or magically bring back the dead. But what they can do is make sure that children don’t spend their final months, weeks or even days, alone and scared in a hospital. Instead, they provide a hospice, which gives the care they need, and the emotional support to get them through.

So far, CHSW has 3 hospices- Little Bridge House, Devon, Charlton Farm, Bristol and Little Harbour, Cornwall. But the only way that they can build more hospices is through your help; whether through sponsorship, event participation, money donation, volunteering, or donation to charity shops, every little thing helps prolong a life.
 
I would like to share with you an amazing event which anyone can participate in- whether young, old, affected or wanting to help. It’s called The Rainbow Run- the UK’s first ever 5K run, with a twist. You’ll be showered with coloured paints! It takes place on Sunday the 19th of May 2013 at 1pm at The Downs, Bristol, in the South West of England- and if successful will probably be held the consecutive year as well! This type of fun event is just one of the many events that CHSW do to fundraise. It’s not a race- and it’s not about speed or fitness, The Rainbow Run is all about having fun and raising money for the local hospice, Little Bridge House. It would be great for lots of people to come along- with fun guaranteed! You can even volunteer to help at the event, if you don’t fancy getting quite so messy. To find out more, watch a video or register to take part in the run, visit http://www.chsw.org.uk/rainbow-run. And if you are reading this after the given date, check out this website to find out about all of the other amazing events that are always going on. So if you’re near Bristol on the day- come along!
 
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I really hope that it has changed your opinion on the importance of this charity. I would really appreciate it if you could comment below and answer some questions, leaving your name, home town and country (if not UK!).

  1. What was your opinion on this topic before?
  2. Had you heard of CHSW before reading my blog?
  3. Do you now feel informed on what they do?
  4. Would you consider participating in the Rainbow Run or donating clothes?
  5. Will you support/ tell family or friends about CHSW in the future?

Many thanks!
Amy

9 comments:

  1. 1. Children's Health is a really important issue so I think charities that support this are important.
    2. No, I hadn't.
    3. Yes, I feel like I know a lot more- though perhaps some more info on how to donate would be nice.
    4. I definitely would but the Rainbow Run is a long way away and I may not be able to travel.
    5. I will definitely tell my family about this charity because I think it is really relevant and that they will like it.
    I think this charity is a really good cause and that your blog is really good.
    Anon, Exeter, Devon :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I wasn't as aware as I was before I read this blog!
    2) Yes, but I was nowhere near as informed.
    3) Yes, definitely, this blog has raised my awareness of CHSW greatly.
    4) I would consider, yes.
    5) Of course! Naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I thought that support was important but didn't realise the extent charities went to.
    2. No I had not heard of CHSW before reading your blog.
    3. I feel very well informed on what they do now.
    4. If I had known about the rainbow run at the time I definitely would have participated.
    5.I will consider supporting CHSW but I will definitely inform others of the charity.

    Great blog, really informative and engaging. well done! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I don't know
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. No
    5. No

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1 That hospices do great work and should be more supported
    2 no
    3yes
    4 definatel;y
    5 yes
    I hope you get more cos its a really good cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. That it is an important issue
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. I would take part in the rainbow run.
    5. I will tell my family
    Anon, Ashburton Devon

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was your opinion on this topic before?
    I didn't know very much about the topic or how to get involved, I knew that hospitals could be daunting places.
    Had you heard of CHSW before reading my blog?
    No
    Do you now feel informed on what they do?
    Yes
    Would you consider participating in the Rainbow Run or donating clothes?
    Yes definitely
    Will you support/ tell family or friends about CHSW in the future?
    Yes
    Anon, Torquay, Devon

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) I wasn't as aware as I was before I read this blog!
    2) Yes, but I was nowhere near as informed.
    3) Yes, definitely, this blog has raised my awareness of CHSW greatly.
    4) I would consider, yes.
    5) Of course! Naturally

    ReplyDelete
  9. What was your opinion on this topic before?
    I had never heard of CHSW before.
    Had you heard of CHSW before reading my blog?
    No.
    Do you now feel informed on what they do?
    Yes, definitely.
    Would you consider participating in the Rainbow Run or donating clothes?
    Although I think this is a great cause, I wouldn't donate etc because this charity wouldn't effect me or my family, and I am already a supporter of other charities.
    Will you support/ tell family or friends about CHSW in the future?
    Perhaps I will tell my family :)
    Really well done, Hannah, Reading

    ReplyDelete