A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 25 March 2013

Support The Reedham Trust – Help them give underprivileged children a brilliant boarding education



Hi, my name is Sam, welcome to my blog. For my Citizenship GCSE I am choosing to advocate the Reedham Trust. I feel very strongly about who and what they support and I truly hope to help their cause – and this is how I hope to do it! You may not have heard of the Reedham trust as it is not very well-known… but that doesn’t make it any less important. They support children having a tough time at home by paying for their fees so that they can go to a nice boarding school and get a good education without the pressure and stress of their home life.



Now this may not sound fun to most of you reading this but for some kids, it’s a relief to be away from home.
 
Everyone should have a fun-filled and enjoyable childhood but some just don’t get the chance. I believe that this is wrong and so do the four people that run the Reedham Trust but often they have to turn people down because they just don’t have the resources to accommodate the astronomical costs. They spend £2,568 per child per year for around 130 children and are completely non-government funded – meaning they rely solely on fundraisers and the generous donations of others.

I know what they do is worth it because I have seen people, who have been helped by the Reedham Trust, come out on top – despite the challenges they’ve faced. Sophie and her brother, Thomas, came from a troubled home background. Their mother had been a victim of domestic abuse and was under considerable strain. The trust has supported Sophie and Thomas since 2006 and they are now happily settled at a boarding school. Last year Sophie was awarded Sportswoman of the year by her school. 

The kind of children looked after are usually ones that have experienced the death of a parent, are from unhappy single-parent families, are being cared for by people who are not their biological parents or have a parent addicted to illegal drugs , who have a severe mental illness, chronic/terminal illness or severe disability.

Now that you know a bit about the Reedham Trust, please answer the questions below in your mind or post them as comments (don’t forget to post your thoughts on the Reedham Trust and on my blog as well!) –
·        If you were in the circumstances of one (or more) of the children in the paragraph above, would you at least consider going to boarding school?
·        Do you believe that The Reedham Trust is a worthy cause?
·        Are you or do you know someone supported by the Reedham Trust?
·        Has my blog informed you a bit about the Reedham Trust?
·        Would you ever help the Reedham Trust (through donations, fundraising or even just spreading the word)?
Thank you for reading my blog, I hope it has opened your eyes to what The Reedham Trust does!

If you want to find out more about the Reedham Trust just click on the link below to take you to their website: http://www.reedham-trust.org.uk

3 comments:

  1. No
    Maybe
    No
    Yes
    Maybe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes
    Definitely
    Yes, my sister in law
    Yes, a lot
    Definitely, I have also done so in the past.
    Very good Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I wouldn't
    Yes I do
    No I don't
    Yes, it is very helpful
    I would donate and fundraise to help them

    ReplyDelete