A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We should ban Circus Animal Acts.



Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am trying to raise awareness of how circus animals are treated. I would like to change people’s opinions on the subject so then the animals can become free and live their own lives.
Circuses have been an attraction for many years. They travel across the country and the world to bring happiness to people. But are the animals happy? There are 6 UK based circuses that use animal acts. People think that because they are animals, they don’t need to be looked after as well as the other acts. The animals don’t deserve to be treated in such horrible ways. There are many ways in which their rights are taken away from them. For all their lives, they will be kept in cages. These boxes are also their travelling boxes so they remain in one box for their whole life. This is taking away their freedom. No-one or any animal should have to stay in a box for their life. It isn’t fair and something needs to change.

Trainers have very cruel methods in which they punish the animals. They will often whip the animals if they do not cooperate with them. This hurts the animal but they still have to work. Being whipped would more likely hinder you than help you to work more. Other trainers have even used an electric stick. They have a stick and through which there is an electric current running through it. The trainer then prods the animal and sends an electric shock into the animal. This is just plain cruelty.
Ever wondered why the animals don’t attack during a performance? Put simply, they get drugged. This is so when they are acting they have no feeling to do anything that may result in someone getting injured. There are even some cases where the animals have got addicted to the drugs. There has been one case where the animal has attacked the owner. Here is the story.

Siegfried & Roy were an act in Las Vegas that everyone loved. They mixed together daredevil theatrics, illusions and animals. They were one of the most loved acts in Las Vegas. They had been together for 44 years without one accident. But that soon changed on the 3rd October 2003. About 45 minutes into the show, Roy lead out Montecore, a seven year old white tiger. The 380 pound tiger got distracted by someone in the audience. The tiger walked over to the edge of the stage. There was no barrier at the side of the stage so Roy jumped between the tiger and the front row of the audience. But the tiger was still moving closer. Roy gave the tiger a command to lie down but the tiger didn’t respond. Instead, he gripped the trainers arm and twisted it. Roy then lost the chain around the tiger’s neck and he couldn’t get it back. Roy then started to hit the tiger on the head with his microphone shouting ’release’. The tiger relaxed his grip and Roy fell back and Montecore jumped straight onto him. the tiger then gripped him around the neck and dragged him off the stage. Roy had a lucky escape.

This is what can happen if the animal doesn’t obey. So are they really happy performing? All of these things must show us that the animals are not happy. They should be free and living a happy life. But they can’t do this until they don’t have to act for people. We wouldn’t want to act for animals so why should they act for us?
If you feel this way, then leave a comment saying i) what you thought of the blog and ii) if it has changed your opinion on the situation & how. Also, iii) please comment if you would be willing to tell family and friends. Once again, I would like to thank you for reading my blog. I hope that you have found it interesting and that you will tell others about the situation.

30 comments:

  1. I agree very much agree with this. The animals dont deserve to be treated in such a horribe way, we should ltreat them how we would like to be treated. I think that not only the animals are treated bad, but the humans can be too, if something go wrong it can have nasty consequences. Yes I will certainly tell my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought that the blog was very interesting and has definatly changed my opinion on this situatiom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I didn't know that animal in circuses are so badly treated I will definately re- think this problem, thankyou for a fantastic blog x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agreee with what you are saying, animals have a right to be free and shouldnt be forced to find. It is hsocking how badly treated these animals are and it should be stopped

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this blog was great, I had no idea this was even allowed anymore! It has really shown me how things can look more humane and fair than they really are. I will deffinately pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is horrid, what they do to these animals and it should be stopped. Animals should have freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this was a great blog supplying good info and has made me think about the crulety circus animals live with. I will tell my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got really gripped whilst reading this blog, it was very good inmormation and i would definatly pass it on. I would give this blog 10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is really informative about the treatment of animals as circus acts. I personally do not think that they should be caged up and brought out only for the entertainment of people, they should be out in the wild with other animals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative blog! I totally agree that treating circus animals this way is extremely cruel and should be stopped. I would definitely be willing to tell all my friends and family about this topic and maybe to support any events/campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that picture is gruesome i didnt realise it was that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog, I didn't know much about this and this has really changed my opinion on this. I'd definatly tell family and friends about this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this was a great blog, the story was definitely exciting and shocking. I didn't realise the ordeal the animals are put through. I will tell my family and friends about this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the blog was well spoken! I totaly agree. Me and my family were shocked when we went to france and saw a circus with animals i will warn my friend and i offer any support in ending it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found your blog really interesting. I never knew that circus animals were treated so cruel. I definately think that something should be done about this because why is an animals life worth less than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello :)
    i have heard of using circus animals before but i have never found out excatly what it envolves. I am disgusted by the way they cruely FORCE these animals to perform. i will tell family and friends about this blog.
    :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. After reading your very good blog, I am agreeing with what you are trying to say because the way these animals are treated is terrible and it should not be accepted. Using these beautiful animals in a way that makes them feel unhappy. The way animals are treated all over the world definitely should be banned and I am not happy to watch a circus act involving an animal that is treated like dirt. Even though some people find it entertaining, I think we should be thinking about their needs rather then entertaining us in a way that should not hurt anyone.I wish their was something we could do about it at our age.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this blog was rwally good and i would deffinetly tell my family and friends about the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blog you wrote was really gripping and urged you to keep reading on as you had obviously thouroughly learnt about the topic. I didn't know much about the issue before but I am now fully aware about how circus animals are treated and the conditions they are in. I would definitely be willing to inform others about this as it has really made me aware of this very serious subject.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i)I thought this blog was really good as it puts lots of information about cicus animals and the picture is really good as it makes people more aware of the cruelty the animals recieve.ii)I have always been undecided about this issue, as the people for it make good reasons, but now i am definitely against it. iii) i would definitely be willing to tell my family and friends. this is really good :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1) I thought the blog was very interesting and made me read on as i am totally against animal cruelty.
    2) It hasn't really changed my opinion as i have always hated animal cruelty and things like that, but it has deffinatly made me more aware of the things that go on.
    3) I would definatly tell my family and friends about this is as it is very shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the blog was very informative!
    and i will tell all of my family and friends about what happens to circus animals

    ReplyDelete
  23. This blog is very effective in grabing peoples attention with the oicture and title. It begins to get you wandering why?
    I thought before that circus animal acts are cruel and should be banned but now i have an even more stronger view of this subject.
    I would be willing to tell my family and friends about this blog because you have given a very strong story about your view and it is very effective of changing peoples minds!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I very much agree with this blog; the way that circuses treat their animals are disgusting. It should be made illeagal.
    I would definately report this to my family and friends, and get everyone aware of the situation.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  25. If these animals have been taken out of the wild they should be put back, people should always remember that animals are still wild inside, animals should be free, these animals unlike dogs or cats have not been domesticated for thousands of years and therefore they should not be treated in this way, no one shocks or whips dogs or cats either, they will be done for animal cruelty, it should be banned

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  26. who ever wrote this you are corect oh and you also helped me with my school project ☻

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am impressed by your blog and I feel furious that such amazing, beautiful creatures are treated in this horrible humane way. Also I'm doing a controversial research topic on circus animals and hope you don't mind if I use some of your information for it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow thats so sad i argee with everything u said

    ReplyDelete
  29. i agree with this its horrible i dont know how any one can watch aniamls being treated and i dont know how people can treat such intellegent animals in such a way its awful the sooner its baned the better

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for getting the truth out.

    ReplyDelete