A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We should save the Dartmoor Ponies



Thank you very much for taking an interest in our blog. The Dartmoor Ponies is something we feel very strongly about. We feel that the way they are being treated is not fair and it needs to stop! People visit Dartmoor and think that the ponies are cute and that they are happy and not going anywhere but they aren’t aware about the threats they are facing.

Did you know that in 2004 the Dartmoor Ponies were rarer than Giant Pandas with only 800 left?
Did you know that many ponies are bred each year, but only a few live past the age of 6 months?

The Dartmoor Ponies are a key part of what makes Dartmoor so special. Without them Dartmoor’s wildlife would not be unique. The Ponies are becoming extinct due to farmers shooting them after they are not sold at auction, the farmers do then not want to keep them themselves. The initial problem to the ponies not selling is because of the credit crunch. The farmers are not taking these facts into account and are still breeding the same amount of ponies instead of breeding a few at a time.

The Dartmoor Pony Heritage Trust aims to care and look after the neglected ponies and raise them into strong and healthy adults that are free to roam Dartmoor. We have to work with the trust and with each other to eliminate this problem.
We can help by donating to the trust, they will use this money to help conserve the ponies and to help build up their base.

Thank you so much again for reading our blog and we hope that you will now take these facts into consideration and help us to help the Dartmoor Ponies.
Please feel free to express your feelings about this topic by commenting on this blog
1) have you heard of the plight of the Dartmoor Ponies before?
2) Have we changed your views – please explain?!

Thank you again,

Georgia and Faye

21 comments:

  1. i dint know that there were less of them left in the world than great pandas and that few live past six months. i agree that if they were wiped out then dartmoor wouldnt be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of the plight before and I was not aware of them being shot, when not sold at auction. I think that all the ponies should be able to live a happy, healthy life on Dartmoor and instead of being bred to sell more should be bred to just roam free on Dartmoor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I visit Dartmoor on of my favourite things are the ponys, the fit very well into the landscape. I think that it would be a very big shame if these ponys were lost. I strongly agree with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) i have heard of the plight before.
    2)I think you have changed my views as i never knew it was such a serious risk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I had not heard of it before.
    2. You have changed my views a lot, I was unaware that the ponies on dartmoor where being shot, and there were less of them than gaint pandas, Dartmoor has always been a place where my family do lots of walking and the ponies make the place even more special, without them it wouldnt be the same, I hope more people learn about this issue and try to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I hadn't heard about it before.
    Yes you have changed my mind because I never realised that the ponies are in trouble so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I have never heard of this plight before
    2. you have changed my views as i did not know about the threats

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realise that they were treated so cruelly, but i have heard of the plight before.

    Dartmoor ponies are well known ane praised in the horse world, so it would be a shame for them to be wiped out from Dartmoor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I have never of heard of this plight before. i never knew that these ponies were treated so cruelly.
    2. you have definitly changed my views. dartmoor pnoies always seem very happy and cute. i didnt think that they had a life like this. your right. dartmoor would be completly different if it wasent for the ponies

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that is terrible because I adore horses and ponies and dont understand why we breed them then kill them.I stronhly suport your point and am happy to answer you questions.
    1) No I never have
    2)ye. Before i thought that dartmoors werent endangered but now I understand that they are I am appalled by it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with this as dartmoor would not be the same without the ponies as they make dartmoor special and unique.
    1)No, I haven't.
    2)Yes, I knew about this problem but I didn't know how serious it was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never realised that they were treated so poorly. You have changed my views completely because I never thought they should need sympathy and help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that we should definately do something to save the horses and ponies, it is so sad to hear how badly they are treated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, If the poor ponies were not at dartmoor the world wouldn't be the same with out them. I don't understand why they have to breed the lovely creatures and then kill them straight after, this is horrible and i am amazed.I didn't know that they were endangered.I am very aware of the situation and want to end it right here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know they were more uncommon than Giant Pandas! I haven't heard of this before, and I think it's horrible! I would definetly want to change this! I didn't have any views before I read this, and now I have I think we should all be really nice to the ponies and stop the farmers being so cruel to them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi i think it is disgracful the way that they are being treated and agree that Dartmoor wouldn't be the same without them. I didn't realise how critical there situation is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i agree as the ponies bring something extra special to dartmoor.
    1) yes i had heard of the plight before.
    2) you have changed my views, because i never knew the dartmoor ponies were in so much danger.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1) have you heard of the plight of the Dartmoor Ponies before?
    No, I think that it is outrageous that farmers shoot them, and that only a few live past 6 months? Woah, I would definately be willing to help.
    2) Have we changed your views – please explain?!
    Yes, this has to end soon, I had no idea how rare they were. I love Dartmoor ponies and I cannot believe how badly they are being treated. You have completely changed my mind, this must end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1) I HAVE NVER HEARD OF THIS TOPIC BEFORE
    2)NOW, I AM INFORMED AND OPPOSE IT STORNGLY.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thankyou very much for commenting on our blog, we also feel strongly about this as you can probably tell. If you have any further comments on this please let us know - don't be afraid to state your name, don't just put anonymous! :D Thankyou again, Faye Bowden 9W

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi, i would never had thought this was an issue s i thought they were all protected. this is a very good blog and i hope you will get all the support you guys need. x

    ReplyDelete