A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Big Issue - A Very Big Issue We Should all Support!



Welcome to my blog! Thank you for taking the time to read it and showing an interest in my issue. Through reading this blog, I hope to convince you of what a wonderful organisation The Big Issue is and why buying the magazine is money well spent.

In my opinion, The Big Issue is hugely under credited and unacknowledged. The work they do is vital for homeless people trying to get themselves of the streets. ‘ A Hand Up Not A Hand Out’. The vendors have taken a huge step towards self support; they are earning a legitimate income, not begging. They sell the Big Issue for £1.70, therefore earning 85p per magazine. Not much perhaps, but from these small beginnings, they are building a new, better life for themselves.

If that hasn’t convinced you, imagine this. Look at the picture above. Imagine you were that vendor, watching people walk past you day after day, totally ignoring you. If you were that person just walking past, to busy to notice the person standing by you, surely it would be nice to stop and take some notice? After all, they are the same as you and I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be ignored and stereotyped like they are all the time. Then imagine that you are homeless but through selling the Big Issue and the support from staff, you manage to find accommodation. So what happens now? Do the staff desert you? Of course not. They will continue to stand by you through your tentative first steps to a better way of life.

5 MORE RESONS TO BUY THE BIG ISSUE1
1. The magazine is read by over 6700 people in the UK every week, so it must be pretty good!
2. Despite the fact it supports over 2500 homeless and vulnerably housed people in the UK, the Foundation relies on donations from the public, as it receives no government funding.
3. Homelessness is a huge and serious problem that desperately needs to be addressed.
4. Most vendors are really nice people who deserve your support.
5. It doesn’t cost much: just £1.70 to help change someone’s life. Is that so much to ask?

I hope you are now more aware of and support the Big Issue. Please post a response answering the following questions. For more information go to: http://www.bigissue.com/

1. Are you more aware of The Big Issue after reading my blog?
2. Did you a) support b) oppose or c) were unaware or were undecided about the Big Issue before reading the blog?
3. An afterwards?
4. Have you bought a Big Issue in the last month?
5. After reading the blog, will you consider buying a copy in the next month?
THANK YOU!

Eloise

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I didn't know much about it.
    Undecided
    Still undediced
    No
    Still probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally i ignore the people on the streets cos they can seem unappealing to buy from but now i've read this i think that i shall thing differently about the big issue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this blog is very powerful and persuasive.I am definatly more aware of the big issue now, i was undecided about the big issue before reading this but now i definatly support this.I havent brought a big issue in the last month but i would possibly but one now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1)yes this blog has told me alot about it, i thought it was free therefore i felt it was a waste of money
    2)c
    3)support
    4)no
    5)yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think being homeless is dreadful. Therefore I think that THE BIG ISSUE supplies a good chance for homeless people to get a little job and slowly start a fresh new page in their lives and hopefully get a better job and a home and enough money for food.
    I think your blog was extremely good and I totally agree with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didnt know anything about the big issue before your blog but now i feel informed

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi,
    I am definatly more aware of the big issue and didn't realise how many people read it. I was undecied about the big issue before but you have definat;y changed my mind!! I have'nt bought one recently but will definatly consider it next time i see someone sellking them. xx ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I am more aware of the situation of the vendors that sell The Big Issue, but not about the magazine itself.
    2. I was undecided about The Big Issue before I read this blog.
    3. I would support The Big Issue if I knew more about the magazine itself - whats is The Big Issue about - whats inside it?
    4. I havn't ever bought a Big Issue.
    5. I may consider buying it as even though I dont know whats in the magazine, I would buy it to help the vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I have only heard of the big issue through the start of your advocacy last year.
    2. I supported it.
    3. support
    4. My mum bought one half a year ago and it was actually quite interesting.
    5. I see lots of people selling them in Exeter so I'll consider buying one next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Are you more aware of The Big Issue after reading my blog?
    Yes I am, thank you :}
    2. Did you a) support b) oppose or c) were unaware or were undecided about the Big Issue before reading the blog?
    I was unaware of this
    3. And afterwards?
    I support it
    4. Have you bought a Big Issue in the last month?
    No.
    5. After reading the blog, will you consider buying a copy in the next month?
    Yes, I will buy one every time I see a vendor :} <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes tht healped alot cheers x
    support x2
    no i havent
    yes if i have time

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow ellie that was really good. I will think about buying 1 next time and this blog has taught me alot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. yes i definitely am!
    2. I thought that the people on the streets were just there begging, so i suppose i was against.
    3.i think i am for, but still partially undecided.
    4.no
    5.maybe

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey Ellie!!!
    this is a wonderful blog so there is no need to worry - remember that
    1) yes
    2) undecided
    3) support
    4) no
    5) yes
    bye-bye x

    ReplyDelete