A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 27 September 2010

We should think more carefully about how we look after our cats!


Hello, thank-you for taking an interest in our blog about the Blue Cross charity and cat abuse. Our names are Aisling, Lotte, Emma and Amelia, and we all feel very strongly against cat abuse and the fact that many people are still abusing cats behind closed doors. So for our citizenship GCSE project, we have decided to support the Blue Cross and try to change people’s minds about cat abuse, and that it’s not just something we should take for granted and pretend it’s not happening.

First of all; if you do own a cat then you may be thinking that you’re not abusing you’re cat, so it’s ok and doesn’t include you, but if you’re not taking proper care of your cat then that could be a form of cruelty. Sure, you may feed your cat every day, but underfeeding isn’t the only problem, it’s overfeeding too. Some cats eat too much and become obese, causing them to get heart disease. Other ways that you could be mistreating your cat are not letting it outside or inside, not playing with them or not grooming them if needed. I’m not saying that you abuse your cat, but you should think about how often you feed, groom and play with them.

Would anyone even think of hurting a cat? Well some people do, and they enjoy it! A lucky cat from Teignmouth survived the torture of what its owners uncle put it through. The four-year-old boy’s uncle put the cat in a microwave, shoved it in a tumble drier, stuck it a freezer and tried to drown it in a bowl of dishwater. The police was alerted when shocking phone footage was shown to them and they immediately took action, arresting the man and placing the cat in care of the RSPCA. One police officer said that the cat was smoking after it had come out of the microwave it had been in for 10 seconds. This is just one of the terrible cat abuse that has happened and maybe not the worst!

Please may you have a go at answering the questions below. Thank you!

1. What is your opinion on cats not being fed or cared for?
2. On a scale of one to ten how strongly do you feel about people mistreating cats and why?
3. Have you learnt anything more from this blog and has this changed your opinion on mistreating cats and why?
4. Do you think you will give more support towards this issue in the future and why?

14 comments:

  1. Matilda Stuckey Howard27 September 2010 at 15:32

    This is an amazing blog. My cousin got a kitten for her birthday and i will reccomend this blog to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Even though I don't own a cat I think that is cruel because I wouldn't do it to my dog and if I had a cat I would look after it.
    2.I would say a 9 because I hate it when people are cruel to animals and don't look after them as people do it for fun and don't care about the animals welfare.
    3. I knew all of it and I always felt it was horrible how people mistreated their cats or any other pets.
    4. I think I will becauseI hate cruelty to animals and I think the issue needs alot of support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I am not a great animal lover, I dont see how anyone could deliberately hurt a cat - Im quited shocked that this has happened. Thanks for bringing this issue up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love cats but didnt know you could over feed them! Will take more care in future - though my cat might make a big fuss if I reduce her food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont have a cat but I think if you get one you should look after it as much as you would a child - in some ways more because they cant look after themselves. Mistreating cats is cruel and should be punished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there has been a lot of stuff in the news recently about people being cruel to cats..its quite a big issue and really good that you are trying to educate people about it...obviously people need it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amelia- Blog creator30 September 2010 at 18:54

    thankyou for posting the comments, it's good to know your opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I don't personally like cats a lot, but I think it's absolutely terrible how someone could mistreat a cat
    2. 10, because cat cruelty is wrong and should be stopped I think it's wrong how lots of people get cats just for the sake of it when they know they're not going to take care of properly
    3. I knew most of this, but it has made me think about it more
    4. I think that whenever I see something I can help to do with cat Cruelty i will try my hardest to do something about it because it is a very important concept to me!

    Good blog guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a great blog :) i might support this issue now.... even though i dont really like cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1: I think cats not being fed or cared for is a horrible thing to do!
    2: 9, I think it's horrible when people mistreat their cats! It's not like they can look after themselves :(
    3: I knew most of what is on here, but it has made me realise how big an issue this is...
    4: Yes, if I see any cat left on the street, I will now see if it is homeless, and if it is, I will take it to the nearest animal shelter.
    Thankyou for posting this blog, and good luck with your GCSE's :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. there are some interesting points raised in your blog. Well done for trying to make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being a cat lover i feel your way of wording this issue has put across it perfectly! Thank you for looking deeper into it, and i really do hope one day this shall be improved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank youuu everyone for commenting!!!!:D x

    ReplyDelete
  14. im doing my citizenship blog on this to :D

    ReplyDelete