A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

WE should bother about Barn Owls?


Hi, my name is Sally and I would like to thank you for showing an interest in my blog. In this blog I will explain to you some of the problems facing Barn Owls in the British Isles and why as members of the British public we should bother about them.

Habitat loss in the whole of England is becoming a big problem. The way the Barn Owl lives is becoming threatened as farmers are using pesticides to kill its prey, barns are being converted, traditional nesting sites are being destroyed, more Motorways and dual carriageways are being built (which is a major killer), and their main habitat, rough grassland, is being lost. Providing or preserving foraging habitat (rough grassland) for Barn Owls is the single most important thing that can be done to help Barn Owls. This is because rough grassland has a layer of dead grass at its base and this is where the field vole, the Barn Owls favourite prey, lives. Barn Owls are sensitive to irregular activities, and, sudden regular activities may cause some disturbance

As you can see the Barn Owl is in need of help. Luckily for the Barn Owl there is a dedicated Trust set up to protect them. This Trust is the Barn Owl Trust. It was set up by volunteers who thought that the Barn Owl was a magical bird, however because its numbers were dwindling and it was becoming rare they believed that they had to try and change this; that it was time to help the beautiful Barn Owl. These volunteers founded the Trust in Ashburton on the 30th July 1988.

The Trust was originally established to ‘reverse the Owls decline through practical conservation work’ and to ‘use people’s interest in the Barn Owl to increase environmental awareness.’ However, since the start of the Trust their original aims have changed slightly, as they now concentrate on people’s awareness as well as taking direct action. The original aims though have evolved over time as the Barn Owl Trust like to help the environment and to keep rural areas alive.

Since its foundation the Barn Owl Trust has achieved some amazing results along with the help of other national and international groups. They have written papers, reports and surveys; created training schemes covering Barn Owl ecology and other Trust work; presented talks to places such as schools; and they have managed (with others) to increase the Barn Owl population by an estimated 37% over a ten year period in the Trust’s home county of Devon. If you would like to have more information on Barn Owls or the Trust then please do visit their website, http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/index.html

Thank you once again for reading my blog. Please do post me a response with your thoughts. In particular, it would be great if you could write just a few words in answer to the following questions. I do hope to hear from you, thank you for reading my blog.

• Had you heard about the Barn Owl Trust before reading this blog?
• Did you know that Barn Owls were in trouble before reading this blog?
• Do you feel more informed about the troubles faced by Barn Owls?
• Do you feel that you are more informed about the Barn Owl Trust?
• Would you be prepared to do any of the following things to help Barn Owls:

1. Make a donation to the Barn Owl Trust
2. Set up a nest box
3. Become a volunteer for the Barn Owl Trust
4. Spread the word of the problems faced by Barn Owls and how the Barn Owl Trust helps.
5. Make more rough grassland habitat for Barn Owls

Barn Owls are in trouble.
Fact
Barn Owls need help.
Fact
We can help them.
FACT

20 comments:

  1. Wow, brilliant topic, a really interesting read too!

    In answer to your questions:
    --No, I had not heard of them
    --I definitely feel more informed, it was a very helpful post!

    -No, I would not make a donation. This is not because I do not care but because I think humanity needs to learn to live alongside creatures, so people do not have to give up their time.
    -Nest boxes are a good idea and something I would do. Quite fun to do with the family too!
    -I would not become a volunteer yet I would do my best as a solo character none-the-less.
    -Indeed, I shall spread the word!
    -And yes, I will

    And I totally agree with all you are saying. We all share this World, it is not in our rights to make, as you pointed out at the beginning, things which make our lives that little bit easier.

    Well done Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love owls! i love the way that they glide through the sky and i think that it is good that poeple are taking an interest in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally, interesting post. I knew Barn Owls were in trouble - but isn't everything these days? - why should I care about Owls particularly? After all they hide in the dark and screech all night long.

    I drive a car and I don't think that any new motorways have been built in the last twenty years, so I think that habitat destruction is probably their main enemy. I don't suppose all the street lights being on all the time helps much though. I support the Campaign for Dark Skies http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/

    Thanks for the tip off about the Barn Owl Trust website, I might buy some of their stuff for Xmas pressies. I would love to be able to help Barn Owls by putting up a nest box but I live in a terraced house in the middle of the city so there isn't anywhere to put it, or any field voles for that matter.

    I have to say though, that you have reminded me just how much I like Owls, just like cats - super cute killing machines! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard about the Trust, but not about what they are doing.

    I had a good idea that Barn Owl populations were under threat as a result of habitat loss and the increased use of pesticides. Though I do feel that after reading your blog I am much better informed of their plight, and how the Trust helps these beautiful birds.

    I would like to think I could make a difference but have little free time and no land or suitable nest box sights to be of benefit to them.

    However, I do intend to make a donation to the Trust and hope that it can help to make a difference.

    I really like the photograph you used to illustrate your blog.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. • No
    • Not really
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • I will try to do what i can

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog has really made me aware of the trouble that barn owls are in-i had no idea! I think that the job that the trust is doing is a very good job as i would not like to see barn owls becoming extinct! I would definately consider supporting them in the future by making donations to the trust!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sally,
    Great Blog!

    Yes, I had heard of the barn owl trust before I'd read your blog.
    Despite this, I didn't knwo that they were in trouble, and had no idea that we were destroying their habitats and causing so much damage.
    I feel 100% more informed about the troubles barn owls face and the barn owl trust.

    I would spread awareness and make a donation, but I wouldn't know how to start with making a nest box or making more rough grassland habitat, so not those.

    Well done!
    This has really changed my opinion!

    Yelena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Sally

    I had no idea that Barn Owls were in trouble, as a concequence I did not know that there was a trust set up to protect the Barn Owls.

    Yes, I do feel more informed about the troubles the Barn Owls are facing. I think it terrible that a race such as ourselves cannot co-exist with other creatures that also live on this planet.

    I do feel more informed about the Barn Owl Trust, they seem to be a great team of people who dedicate some of their time to saving creatures who should not be in need of our help.

    I would certainly make a donation towards the Trust. I do not own any land as such but no many who do, so I would try to convince them to set up a nest box and make rough grassland for the Barn Owl.

    In context I would become a volunteer but as I work full time with a family, I do not see how I could fit it in.

    I will however spread the word to family and friends about the work the Trust does and the trouble the Barn Owl is in.

    Thank you so much Sally for raising my awarness about Barn Owls and the Trust, I will certainly see what I can do to help in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting. Owls are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sally for a really interesting blog...
    I knew barn owls were rare but you have really highlighted the multiple reasons.
    It's great that numbers have been increasing over the last ten years and your description of the involvement of the Barn Owl Trust has left me much better informed. (I had heard of the Trust before but didn't know how long they had been around or how they worked).
    I would really love a barn owl box but, not living in a barn, feel that it would be very unlikely to be inhabited. Also, whilst I have grass & 'rough' land it is probably not on a scale apreciated by owls. I can probably help most by donating to the Trust and telling people about barn owls.
    They really are very beautiful birds... You have given me something to think about.
    Thanks :>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sally
    Here are my answers to your questions:
    - Yes I had heard about the barn owl trust
    - I didn't know that Barn Owls were in trouble.
    - Yes, I do feel more informed about the Barn Owl trust and I think that I should take more intrest in it
    - I would be prepared to do most of those things

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sally
    I would really hate to see all the Barn owls go as they are lovely birds and are one of my favourites. You have my support gladly and I will encourage others to join.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good blog sally!!!!! Using pestiside is unexeptable!!!!!! And taking away thier habbitat is unfair!!! SAVE THE BARN OWLS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sally

    In answer to your questions.

    1)Yes
    2)Yes
    3)Yes
    4)Yes
    5) I) Yes
    II) No - do not have any land
    III) Yes
    IV) Yes
    V) No - do not have any land

    Sally, you have raised my awareness about the issues Barn Owls face and have changed my opinion that we need to help these creatures, and that the Trust is doing a GREAT job.

    Great blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great blog - I'm definitely better informed and now appreciate the problems that these graceful birds are facing. Setting up a nest box/grassland are beyond anything I could hope to do with a small garden, but I would support the trust.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sally,

    Great blog and well put. I remember when I first moved down to Paignton some 15 years ago. We use to see Barn Owls quartering the fields behind the flower shop. I was lucky enough to wake one morning and on our balcony was the most handsome Barn Owl looking right at me. It made no sound as it took off in to the dawn. It saddens me to say that today I don't see them due in part (I believe) to the new houses that have been built on the fields, as you point out Habitat Destruction.

    I read the comments and saw someone asking "why they should single out Barn Owls"...well if we prevent habitat destruction then we are all winners including all Owls, small mammals, wild flora and people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sal,

    I suppose that it does not surprise me the Barn Owl is having a hard time of it, many species seem to suffer from similar problems with loss of habitat and modern chemicals. I myself have a true and deep concern about the plight of Cancer Pagurus (the Brown Crab).

    Thought I had heard about the Barn Owl,I was not aware of the extent of what they did and it was really great to hear that the population decline has been reversed even if only slightly.

    So yes I would say as a result of reading your Blog I now more about who the Barn Owl Trust are and what they do, so thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. How does conserving Barn Owls fit into the larger ecology of the area? If we provide more boxes for Barn Owls are we putting more strain on the creatures further down the food chain? Frogs may not be cute & cuddly, but they deserve protection too.
    Would conserving habitat be more effective than providing nesting sites?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I reckon that if we ate them then the trees would be full of them - like pheasants, they would be everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was very interested in reading your blog it tied up with other items I have seen about the plight of the Barn Owl. For example on Springwatch,articles in newspapers and the local magizine that it is handed around my local village.

    ReplyDelete