A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 20 May 2013

Light up the lives of sick children - help Starlight make their wishes come true!

Hello, my name is Rachel. Thankyou very much for taking an interest in my blog about Starlight Children’s Foundation! I hope that once you have read my blog you may consider supporting Starlight by:
  • Donating some money
  • Sponsoring a Starlight wish
  • Attend a Starlight fundraising event
  • Sponsor a friend
  • Sign up to “Give as you Live” – no extra cost to you when you shop online
For more information visit www.Starlight.org.uk

Starlight is a charity that brightens and transforms the lives of over 500,000 sick children in the UK per year with life threatening illnesses, providing fun and entertainment in hospitals and hospices. Starlight aims to distract children from pain, fear and isolation. Children can also be granted a once in a lifetime wish so that they can fulfill their dreams.

Starlight provides parties, pantomimes, escapes, fun centres and distraction boxes filled with toys and puzzles for worrying medical procedures in hospital wards throughout the UK to entertain children.

This is Chelsie’s story. Sadly, Chelsie was born with a life shortening disease called Cystic
Fibrosis that seriously affects the internal organs. When she was four years old, Chelsie fell in love with dance and she wished to dance on the West End Stage in London. It was a big challenge for Starlight, but they granted Chelsie’s wish and put together a pantomime, Cinderella: The shoe must go on! The wish changed her life forever as she danced the foxtrot with professional dancer, Benny, performing in front of 1200 people! It was the best day of her life and gave her something exciting to remember during the hard times.  It gave inspiration to her family too, to carry on.

Why should you care? Because it could happen to any child!

Thankyou very much for reading my blog.  I would be grateful if you could please answer the following questions and leave a comment. It would be helpful if you put your first name and where you live:

  1. Had you heard about Starlight before reading my blog?
  2. Do you now feel more informed about Starlight?  If so how?
  3. Would you now consider supporting the charity after reading my blog? What would you do?
  4. Would you now tell your friends and family about the charity Starlight?
70% of Starlight’s children make a full recovery and your support could make a difference. Please make a donation today.

Many thanks for taking an interest in my blog
Rachel

13 comments:

  1. Amanda, London
    1. Yes I had heard about Starlight
    2. Yes this was a great article, and now I understand a bit more
    3. Yes I would consider donating some money.
    4. Yes I will tell my family and friends.

    Thank you Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, Derby
    Thanks Rachel.
    I had never heard of this charity before and I am certainly more informed having read your Blog! Well done! I would certainly look to donate to this charity in the future. I have forwarded your Blog to friends and family to raise their awareness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no
    yes, I now know what it is and what it does. great cause.
    yes, maybe donate money
    yes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca K, Devon
    1.Yes
    2.Yes definitely I wasn't sure about the specific things that they did
    3.Yes I would do some fundraising
    4.Yes I told my sister
    great blog Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, Devon
    I had heard of this charity before reading this blog, but I definitely feel more informed now! I would now consider donating money and time to this cause and I will tell other people about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your advocacy! :) I have never heard of Starlight before but now I feel much more informed and inspired through your description, I would consider donating and I want to spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a really good blog I'm doing Starlight Childrens Foundation for my GSCE citizenship so it was good to know someone else was supporting the same charity :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1.no
    2.Yes before I didn't know what they did and now I am more informed.
    3.Yes I would tell my family and donate some money.
    4.yes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey :) great blog Rachel
    1. Yep
    2. Yep
    3. Yep
    4.Yep

    ReplyDelete
  10. i don't think so
    yes, it is such a lovely organisation!
    yes, possibly donate
    yes

    its a really good blog too!
    Tallulah, Paignton

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is really good I am also doing starlight for my GCSE it is good to see what other people have put
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. No
    Yes - this article is a huge inspiration and you are advocating for a great cause!
    Yes - maybe donate some money
    Yes - it is a great cause!

    ReplyDelete