A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 1 May 2013

Malaria Needs to Stop Now - RIGHT NOW


My name is Lily and thank you very much for showing an interest in my post! Today, malaria is considered one of the world's deadliest diseases and although treatable and preventable, causes countless unnecessary deaths, primarily in Africa, where 90% of malaria cases occur. Malaria affects half of the world's population and causes around one million deaths per year. I think that this is very melancholic and saddening that so many people are needlessly dying of this disease. After reading my post, I hope that you feel more informed about the issue of malaria and that you may consider supporting Malaria No More UK.
 
Malaria is an infectious disease caused by the malaria parasite entering the bloodstream – usually through the bite of an infected mosquito. The particular mosquito that causes malaria breeds in very rural areas, hence why 90% of malaria cases occur in Africa. The symptoms of malaria are;

  • Fever
  • Headaches
  • Sweats
  • Chills
  • Dry cough
  • Muscle pains and fatigue
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
In some serious cases, brain problems have also been reported. Ultimately, if not treated, victims will die. In fact, every minute, a child dies from malaria, but their families cannot afford treatment, living in remote regions of Africa.

So two men come in, Peter Chernin and Ray Chambers and in 2006, they founded Malaria No More. It is said that, “Malaria No More was born of a simple, startling insight: that ending malaria's death grip on Africa is the best humanitarian investment we can make in the world today,” In 2008, they launched Malaria No More UK to gain more support and raise more funds here in the UK and their head office is based in London.

Malaria No More UK have saved the lives of 130,000 since the start of 2011. They provide medication to treat malaria, provide mosquito nets and also testing kits for people to confirm whether or not they have malaria. They also perform trials to test new medication to try to find more effective or cheaper treatments. Malaria No More UK are saving thousands of lives – but all of the things that they do require funding.

Thank you so much again for taking an interest in my post. I would very much appreciate it if you could leave a comment with your thoughts and a few words in answer to the following questions – and please help in any way you can. Further information is available at http://malarianomore.org.uk/. Please help to end malaria deaths!

  1. Had you heard about the issues caused by malaria before reading my post?
  2. Do you now feel more informed about the issues faced by victims of malaria?
  3. Would you now be prepared to do any of the following:
  • Make a donation to Malaria No More UK?
  • Start or join a fund raising campaign?
  • Sign up for email updates from Malaria No More UK?
  • Follow Malaria No More UK on Twitter?
  • Tell your family/friends about Malaria No More UK and persuade them to help out in any of the ways listed above?
If you comment, can please include your county/state/province and your country.

Many thanks again,
Lily

12 comments:

  1. 1. i was not aware of the issues linked with malaria before
    2. yes
    3. I would definetelty feel more willing to give to malaria no more if given the opportunity

    Overall thiswas a really great blog well done lily
    from Becki K :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yes
    2.Yes
    3. Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

    Devon UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes.

    Really good blog about a good cause. Devon, England

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i had
    yes
    yes, perhaps
    very good blog, very informative, would definitely consider supporting
    torquay, devon, england

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had heard of malaria before but didn't know any specific details. I definitely feel very more informed about malaria now, because I now know symptoms and statistics. If I had spare money to give I would consider malaria uk, I would definitely help or start a fundraising campaign, I would tell friends and family about malaria uk. I would not want email updates as I don't feel it is the most effective way I can help, I couldn't follow them on twitter because I don't have a twitter account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your advocacy is great! I hope you get as many comments as you can. (I'm from Torquay).

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 yes
    2 yes
    3 i'd do the 1st and 3rd one and 5th one
    Hope it gets more responses for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. No
    2. Yes
    3. I would make a donation to malaria no more uk and tell my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1 - yes
    2 - no
    3 - donation

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Yes, I had.
    2. Yes.
    3. I would tell my friends about it and perhaps organise fund raising.
    Devon, United Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) yes
    2) yes
    3) I would consider donating and tell my friends/family
    Devon, England

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1.Yes, I had
    2. Definitely
    3. I would tell my friends and family about it and it would also be a good idea to arrange a fundraiser at school so that more people become aware.

    Devon, United Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete