A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 20 May 2013

Help Cancer Research Uk bring a smile to a child today!

Hi, I’m Poppy, thank you for taking some time to read my online blog! Cancer Research Uk is very close to my heart and I feel very strongly about advocating the wonderful help that they do. It may be hard to imagine being diagnosed with Cancer, or having a loved one diagnosed. For millions of people every day is a struggle for their life or a worry for a family member or friend. Hopefully by the end of my blog you will know a bit more about the ways Cancer Research Uk help millions of people across the world and will know about the problems faced by the millions of people like my Grandma (in the photo above).

My greatest inspiration is my Grandma! She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on 14th January 2006, at just 64 years old. They found a pea sized lump in her left breast and the doctors decided that surgery and radiotherapy was the best route to take. After surgery Modified radical mastectomy: my Grandma had radiotherapy for 7 ½ (53 days) weeks daily- except the weekends. Cancer Research Uk helped my Grandma by having a McMillan nurse who saw my Grandma regularly and checked that she was okay physically and mentally. My grandma also took therapy at the Holistic centre. Here she took calming therapies. My Grandad also underwent therapy for calming down whilst my Grandma was ill. She was ill for over 110 days.


Cancer Research Uk save millions of lives everyday and have carried on there hard work since 1902. 'Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour, and every person. And as a collective force we’ve helped double survival rates in the last forty years. But we can’t stop there. More than 1 in 3 of us will develop cancer at some point in our lives and with our ageing population, this statistic is getting worse.' Everyday someone’s life is cut short by cancer and Cancer Research UK is fighting to stop that. There ambition is to bring forward a day where all Cancers are cured. Also to save lives; to add years; to make treatments kinder; to inform, prevent; to expel fear and to cure. Cancer Research Uk are the only ones fighting over 200 cancers – including the 1 that matters most to you. A courageous spirit can drive anyone forwards in life- whether it be surviving and curing. We will cure cancers sooner or later- so let’s make it sooner!

Thank you again for reading my blog- I really appreciate it! Before we go could I ask that you answer the following questions and leave a comment?

  • Do you now feel more informed about cancer research?
  • Do you now feel more aware of the troubles of cancer?
  • Would you now be willing to...?
  1. Donate to Cancer Research Uk?
  2. Advocate about Cancer Research Uk?
  3. Tell others of the beautiful work that Cancer Research Uk do?
Thank you again for reading my blog. Please leave a comment about what you think and any additional thoughts. Please leave hometown and country. (If not United Kingdom.)

Thank you,
Poppy xxx

6 comments:

  1. Very informative! i am willing to donate to cancer research uk and spread the word of this amazing charity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poppy I think that this is amazing and a great help to a wonderful charity. My mum was diagnosed with Cancer and this charity was a great help! You have done your Grandma proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.yes I feel more informed
    2.yes I feel more aware of the problems related to cancer
    3.I would definitely do all of those options listed because this charity is really amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes
    yes
    yes
    no
    yes

    A really good blog and charity

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutley brilliant advocacy, great cause well done!!

    ReplyDelete