A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

Please help Make a Downes Syndrome Child Smile!!!


Thank you so much for showing an interest in my blog! I am trying to raise the awareness of children with special needs. I hope you will learn a bit about special needs as it is not a well known topic and I hope that you will want to help.

I shall start off by explaining to you a little bit about special needs. I know quite a lot of people with special needs as I have a brother with severe autism, this means that he cannot communicate and finds the world very confusing. He suffers from learning difficulties and behavioural problems. He behaves as if he is three years old (he is actually 16) as he can’t express what he wants or tell us what he doesn’t like. The environment and sounds that surrounds him can really upset him but he cannot tell us why. He finds it very difficult to sleep. These are just a few aspects of having autism which is a very complex disability. There are also other types of special needs. Such as Downs Syndrome (where extra genetic material affects the development of the baby both mentally and physically); Aspergers (a very able form of autism) and Cerebral Palsy (which greatly affects someone’s physical ability). Special Needs affects many people and restricts them from learning or doing things that we would easily be able to do and that we take for granted.

The John Parkes Unit in Torquay is a ward connected to Torbay Hospital which provides respite for children with special needs but as well as this the children require medical help. It is being closed down because of its high operating costs. The council has argued that that the children can go to the other respite centre in Dartington however this centre does not give the complex medical care the children need! The John Parkes Unit (JPU) is vital to the children’s families because without the unit, the families will be under great strain as they would be without that one night where they can just relax without having to look after their child, knowing they are in safe hands. This is why the unit must stay open and I hope I can increase support for the unit. Therefore, I hope this has persuaded you to look more closely into the topic and possibly take action or help with charity events to help stop the closure.

There are over 500,000 children in the UK who have special needs; many of them have severe mental and physical disabilities and life-limiting illnesses. The financial strain on their families can be huge and for some a simple trip to the seaside or a week's holiday is beyond their means. That is why charities like Happy Days are here to help to fund and organise holidays, residential trips, days out and theatre trips throughout the UK for disadvantaged young people with special needs. They help young people in special needs schools, in hospitals and in hospices and they help individual families. These types of organisation are so worthwhile and if we all gave some money, we can help put a smile on so many people’s faces.
So please do all that you possibly can to help these children and the families who have been affected by special needs because you can help disadvantaged children experience the pleasures of what life has to offer and I believe it is such a good cause. So come on; make a child smile!!!

After you have read the blog, it would be very kind if you could answer a few questions by posting them as a comment:

* Do you feel more informed about special needs?
* Do you support or oppose trying to keep the John Parkes Unit open?
* Any extra thoughts???

Thank you for your time

Phoebe.

32 comments:

  1. Yes i do.
    I support it because i feel sorry for them and think that they should be helped.
    Also i think that the money would go to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel very informed about the john pakes unit now, to be honest before i read this blog i didnt know there was such a thing.

    i do strongly believe in keeping the john parkes unit, as it can give the families a break from there child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good unit and I shouldn't be shut down!! I'm going to look into the matter and so should everyone else!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i do feel more informed now.
    i strongly think that it should be kept open as it can help the children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know a baby who has downes syndrome and people just stare. It's horrid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I do feel more informed.
    I feel it should deffinately be kept open as I know people who really benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phoebe

    Thank you so much for informing about children with special needs and how their life is affected. I feel I know a lot more about this issue and am able to empathise with those with it and those who are put under the strain because of special needs.

    Before reading your blog I had not heard of JPU. From what you have told me I feel that all should support groups and units such as these so all can have a smile.

    Thank you once again for raising my awareness about special needs and of the JPU.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog, Phoebe c:

    To answer your questions....

    1. Yes, I do feel more informed about special needs.
    2. I support keeping the unit open, because people need it, and I think it's silly that people are saving money by taking away the equipment and the things needed to care for these children. There are other ways to save money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel a lot more informed about special needs.

    i most definately support that it should be kept open.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Phoebe,
    yes I do feel more informed about the John Parkes Unit as I didn't really know what it did
    I think it should keep open as it seems like a very valuable service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Pheebles,

    Yes I do feel more informed about the John Parks
    unit but not so much about special needs, because I knew most of that already.
    I do think it is a very important issue as you have explained to me before. Its very unfortunate that so many children have these disabilities and its important to recognise that the families need some time alone.
    Any extra thoughts?: Great Blog Pheebles!

    Yelena

    ReplyDelete
  12. i totally agree
    i feel much more informed and i really think the unit should stay open!
    it is helping people with needs, which is thoughtfull
    it is sad if they do shut it down
    thank you
    mollie D ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel a lot more informed about the John Parks unit and i think it should deffinitely be kept open as it seems to be well used and wanted.
    I deffinitely support the unit in staying open so it can help more people in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely feel much more informed about special needs and i definitely think that the John Parkes unit shall remain open and it should not close down because it is doing an amazing think by helping all those people with special needs and their families in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes i do feel more informed about the ward

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. I have learnt lots more about special needs.
    2. i think they should keep open john parks because it sounds like a good service

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cant believe that they would even THINK of closing the John Parkes Unit down! i think its a really worthy cause and i think there just picking on the most vulnerable people in our society!! its not fair! i bet if it was the peoples own children they wouldnt shut it down as it would help them alot!!!!
    I also feel very informed about special needs
    Great blogg :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1.Yes i do feel more informed.
    2.I think that they should keep John Parkes unit open because it sounds like it is a very helpful service.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yep, yep, i think it should stay there and help all the poor people. i really feel sorry for them

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes yes it should stay

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes I do feel more informed, and I am supporting your cause to keep the unit open.
    I don't think it will be fair on families who depend on the unit for breaks either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi
    I have really learnt a lot about about this issue and I feel much more informed. I am happy to supporting this issue by signing a petition, donating money etc

    Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great blog Phoebe- definitely know a lot more about special needs now! I think JPU should definitely be kept open because it helps the children and the families.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I definately think something should be done. They need to have a normal life like everyone else. The ward should definately be kept open because it helps so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes I Am Informed,
    I Think you should get more Propaganda for this issue eg Tv, Leaflets, Books and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  26. yes i was informed,
    but now i am informed in more detail, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This has made me much more aware that there are so many people with special needs in the UK. I know someone who has a sister with down syndrome but I had no idea it was so common and we clearly need to support them and their families more.

    ReplyDelete
  28. yes,i do feel more informed about down syndrome, and i support the John Parkes Unit, i watched a programme about it once, and i believe that JPU really helps special needs children and it should be kept open.

    ReplyDelete
  29. * Do you feel more informed about special needs?
    Yes I do feel more informed
    * Do you support or oppose trying to keep the John Parkes Unit open?
    Support!!! Definetly.
    * Any extra thoughts???
    Good blog Phoebe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes I do feel more informed about special needs-Now that I am aware of it, I definitely support the campaign to keep the unit open.- Very good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. in todays modern society, people are going to get bullied, because of the way they look and the way they are, face it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes I do feel more informed. You've really made it aware to me how much the unit helps and i now feel strongly about it keeping open. This is a really good blog.

    ReplyDelete