A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 14 July 2014

I <3 the British Heart Foundation

Hi I’m Mickey, and I would like to start off by saying thank you for taking time to read my blog. Finding ways to cure and prevent heart disease in the UK is quite a big issue in our day and age. With people eating more unhealthy foods and doing less exercise, there is bound to be an increase in coronary heart disease in Britain. Once you have read my blog I hope that you will feel more aware of what coronary heart disease is and the excellent work of the British heart foundation in overcoming this deadly disease.

This is my Grandad’s story: A few years ago my grandad suffered badly from coronary heart disease, it had come to the point that he had to have a quadruple bi-pass. (When four arteries from your heart are taken out and are replaced by four other arteries from a different part in your body, in my grandad’s case, the arms and chest). This worked and soon my grandad was out of hospital and well, or so we thought. In the next week my grandad suffered from a cardiac arrest in the middle of the night and had to be rushed in to hospital again in a life threatening condition. But thanks to the British Heart Foundation and their amazing research my grandad was saved by some astounding surgeons.

After a period of time when my grandad could barely walk up a hill without having to take medicine, he is now fit and well and is able to do gardening again. It was heart breaking seeing my grandad in this terrible condition, and I want to help stop other families going through a traumatic procedure like this too. My Grandad’s operation was made possible by the public’s donations and the pioneering research funded by the BHF.

  • £2 – Helps 10 children get more physically active
  • £30 - Heartstart Schools training pack
  • £50 – Help fund vital lab work
  • £124 – Fund a resuscitation training manikin
  • £200 – Help find a cure
  • £600 – Fund a Heart Helpline Nurse for a week
  • £60,000 – Fund a research project for a year
  • £100,000 – Fund a PhD student
Again thank you for reading my blog. If you can, please post a response including your thoughts on my blog. It would be really helpful if you could also leave your answers to the questions below, and maybe consider going and looking at my charity in more detail on their website at www.BHF.org.uk/. If you feel that you could, then please donate to my charity. As the BHF are fighting for every heartbeat.
  • Have you heard of the BHF before now?  And did you know that coronary heart disease is the single biggest killer in the UK?
  • Do you now feel more informed about coronary heart disease?
  • Would you now be willing to do any of the following to help people with heart disease…
  1. Make a donation to the British heart foundation?
  2. Start or help with a fundraising campaign?
  3. Visit and buy from one of their shops?
  4. Shop online at the BHF’s eBay store?
  5. Tell your family and friends about the BHF and persuade them to help out in any of the ways above?
If you do post a comment then please (if you feel comfortable) tell me where you are from i.e. your town/ city and country. That is if you aren’t from the UK.

Once again thank you for reading my blog!
Mickey.

13 comments:

  1. Hi I'm from England,
    . I have heard from the BHF Before but I had no idea that heart disease is the biggest killer in the UK.
    . Yes I feel that I have learnt so much from this blog.
    1. Definitely
    2. For sure
    3. Of course I love their shops and go to them a lot.
    4. Yes
    5. Definitely now I know about their brilliant life saving work I will spread the word and help out as much as possible!
    Amazing blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I am from England.
    . I have heard of the BHF before but I had no idea that heart disease is the single biggest killer in the UK over cancer and everything!
    . yes I feel that I have learnt so much from this blog.
    1. Definitely
    2. For sure
    3. Of course I love their shops and use them a lot
    4. Yes
    5. Definitely now I know about their brilliant life saving work I will spread the word and help out as much as possible!
    Amazing blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I had heard of the British Heart Foundation and yes I did know it was the biggest killer in the UK. I didn't realize they depended so much on public support. I would be willing to help out in any of the ways mentioned above. I live in Dublin, Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the information. I didn't know there was such as thing as a quadruple bi-pass. I will make donation and help spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog. It's good to know the British heart foundation is doing such great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of BHF but wasnt aware of heart disease being the sigle biggest killer.
    I feel much more informed, didnt know to do the operation they used valves from other parts of the body I thought these were always fake valves.
    •Would you now be willing to do any of the following to help people with heart disease…
    1.Make a donation to the British heart foundation? - Yes
    2.Start or help with a fundraising campaign? - Yes
    3.Visit and buy from one of their shops? - Yes
    4.Shop online at the BHF’s eBay store? - Wasnt aware they had an ebay store but yeah why not!
    5.Tell your family and friends about the BHF and persuade them to help out in any of the ways above? Yes I would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mickey
    This is a very thought provoking blog. My granddad had a triple heart bypass, which enabled him to continue to live a more active life.
    I had heard of the British Heart Foundation's work as I had applied for one of their grants to deliver a dance and healthy eating project with early years children and their families to encourage them to take part in more physical activity and eat well.
    Your blog has certainly informed me about coronary heart disease and I would be willing to support the British Heart Foundation.
    I live in Exeter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    I have heard of the British Heart Foundation and I am aware that it is one of the biggest killers in the UK.
    I am a supporter of BHF as like yourself I have witnessed the effects of Heart Disease in my own family, My own Father had a replacement heart valve fitted at John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford and my Father in Law had the same operation as your Grandad. Once you have been close to a person who has received this surgery you realise what a difference it makes to their life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - I am from Exeter, Devon - I have heard of BHF and it is one of the three charities I support regularly. I take items to the BHF charity shop in Exeter and so does my family. I knew a lot of the things on your blog - but there were other bits of information I had not read before. I will certainly continue to support BHF and it is good to see that you are taking this so seriously - I am sure you are a great help to your grandad. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I'm from England,
    . I have heard from the BHF Before but I had no idea that heart disease is the biggest killer in the UK that I have learnt so much from this blog.
    I will surly do all five points mentioned now I know about their brilliant life saving work I will help out as much as possible!
    !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I am from Exeter, Devon.

    The blog is very informative and useful so well done!

    I have heard of the BHF before but but did not realise it was the biggest killer in the UK. I have definitely learnt something from this blog today.

    RE the questions:
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes

    Thanks you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mickey,
    I am from Essex and was very interested to read your thought provoking blog; your granddad has certainly been through it.
    I had heard of the BHF but, like most people I suspect, had no idea that heart disease is the biggest single killer in the UK. I will make a donation to the BHF to help them continue their invaluable research.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great cause I always donate any spare clothes I have to the BHF
    well done good luck with your GCSE !!!
    I have really leant something through reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete