A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 14 July 2014

Chernobyl Children’s Life Line - Why You Should Care?

Hello my name is Chloe and firstly I would like to thank you for taking an interest in my blog. Not many people understand or know about the Chernobyl Disaster and the problems caused by it so for my citizenship advocacy I have decided to support a charity called Chernobyl Children’s Life Line (CCLL). CCLL work to help children suffering from the after effects of the Chernobyl disaster and economic situation. After reading my blog I hope that you feel more informed about the problems that many children face on a daily basis and that you will feel more inclined to help.

In April 1986 there was an explosion at the nuclear power station in Chernobyl that sent out highly toxic radioactive material and gases into the surrounding atmosphere. As a result of this terrible disaster many people died or were forced to evacuate their homes. The after effects continue to this day, Chernobyl Children’s Life Line was established in 1992 in response to it.

Since the Chernobyl disaster many children in Chernobyl and the surrounding areas have developed cancers, diseases and other disorders; they also have to live on contaminated ground. CCLL strive to improve the health and economic situations of the children affected by the disaster. They do this in many ways; some including: providing the children with on-going multi-vitamins and basic healthcare products. They also bring happiness, joy and excitement to the lives of many suffering children.

No child should have to live, work and grow up on contaminated land so they need YOUR help to improve their childhood. For more information please visit www.ccll.org.uk



Thank you very much for taking your time to read my blog. Please could you now leave me a response to the following questions?
  • Have you ever heard about the problems caused by the Chernobyl disaster before?
  • Do you know feel more informed about the issues these children face on a daily basis?
  • Would you now feel prepared to support CCLL in any of the following ways?
  1. Tell your friends and family about Chernobyl Children’s Life Line and the work that they do?
  2. Make a donation to CCLL?
  3. Visit their website www.ccll.org.uk?
If you post a response to my blog please can state in your response where you come from, for example your home town and if you are not from the UK please could you also state what country you are from.

Thank you again for showing an interest in my blog.
Chloe

15 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard about the Chernobyl disaster and its effects before reading your blog, and I now feel more informed about the everyday problems these children encounter. I would encourage other people to visit to visit your blog and the CCLL website (as I just have)...
    Same hometown as you hunnie <3 - Guess who x
    Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    Torbay

    ReplyDelete
  3. no
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    Lucy Stevens TGGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of the disaster at Chernobyl before but I didn't know about any charities working to help the people affected. I would now support CCLL in all the ways you have mentioned, as this is obviously a really worthwhile cause.

    TGGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Gemma - Torbay

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. yes
    2.yes
    3. yes definitely, it is a very worthwhile cause and your blog post really reinforced that
    Torbay

    ReplyDelete
  7. No
    Yes

    Yes
    Maybe
    Yes

    Caitlin Richards Torquay
    Good luck :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) I had heard of the Disaster before but not the work of CCLL.
    2) I feel better informed
    3) I would support the charity

    Torbay

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never heard of this before and your blog has made me very aware. So I definitely feel more informed and would love to support this charity after all the great work that they do to help those children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) no
    2) yes your blog was very imformative
    3) I would definately support your charity, it is a great cause and one that people should know about.
    UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't know, would definitely help now, and will tell everyone I can

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) I have heard a little bit about the disaster in Chernobyl
    2) I do feel more informed about the difficulties facing the children in Chernobyl
    3) I would do all three
    This is a great charity! Good luck with your advocacy

    A small hamlet in Startbay

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of it before but now I know what it is

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember being at school when the Chernobyl reactor caught fire. Even living in the south west of England, we were scared at what we saw, and would the radiation come to us? I can see through your Blog the effects of 30 years ago are still continuing. I would visit the website to find out more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete