A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 21 July 2014

The NDCS: They Need Someone To Listen - Because They Can’t...

Thank you very much for visiting my blog! I’m Eleanor, and I am very grateful that you have shown an interest in an issue that I feel strongly about – helping and supporting deaf children and their families. For my Citizenship GCSE, I have chosen to advocate for the National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS). I would like to raise awareness of the day-to-day problems that deaf children face, gain your support for my advocacy issue, and also change any negative opinions/attitudes you may have towards deaf people. Once you have read my blog, I hope you will feel a bit more informed about everyday life as a deaf child, the NDCS, and what you can do to help/support them...

Not many people seem to be aware of the everyday struggles that deaf people face, or the amount of support that the families and children need. I feel that deaf children are very much misunderstood and stereotyped in society and would like help other people realise they aren’t ‘weird’ or ‘stupid’, they are deaf, and can’t help being that way.

This is Charlie’s story...

At 18 months, Charlie was diagnosed as profoundly deaf in both ears. He was fitted with hearing aids, and told to trial them to see if they made any improvements... but they didn’t. At the age of two, Charlie still wasn’t responding to, or showing signs of picking up any sounds. The key time for developing language, is when you’re a toddler, so not being able to hear these sounds, was impacting on Charlie’s speech... Failing to make progress with his language, Charlie was falling behind.

Charlie’s parents didn’t know what to do - finding out that your child is deaf is one thing, but receiving the needed help and advice, is another…. That was until they found out about the NDCS. After asking for information on what other choices Charlie might have (as an alternative to hearing aids), Charlie’s parents found out that there were quite a few options to try.

They decided that they would try Charlie with cochlear implants, and almost immediately, he started responding to basic sounds, picking up noises, and trying to repeat them. From there, his speech has developed significantly and, although he may still be a bit behind other toddlers his age, he is definitely progressing. He is also learning British Sign Language (BSL), which will hopefully enable Charlie’s family to communicate with him more successfully...

Not only do the NDCS say where families can receive help, but also how they can help and provide the right environment for their children at home etc. BUT... this can only continue with your help, as 95% of all the work the NDCS does, is funded by public donations. And with 800 deaf children being born worldwide every day – not even counting the amount of people who become deaf as they grow up – there is a growing sense of urgency to keep the NDCS alive. If not, then how can it continue supporting families like Charlie’s, and campaigning to make the UK (and the rest of the world) a fairer place for deaf children - and the wider deaf community...

At the moment, you may be thinking, it doesn’t affect me, so why should I care, when the truth is, that it could affect you, or someone close to your heart. Today, approximately 100 families in the UK will hear (well, maybe not hear), but be told that someone in their family suffers from a form of deafness… Tomorrow, it could be you, your child, or a close friend; would you know where to get advice from? I hope that now you’ve read my blog, you would advise that person, or remember for yourself, to check the NDCS website (http://www.ndcs.org.uk/).

Thank you again, for taking the time to read my blog, I would really appreciate it if you could post a comment with your thoughts – or specifically a quick response to the following questions… Please, don’t be deaf to deafness!

  • Had you heard about the NDCS and what they do before you read my blog?
  • Do you now feel more informed about the NDCS and the problems caused by deafness?
  • Would you now be prepared to…
  1. Make a donation to the NDCS?
  2. Sign one of their many online petitions/campaigns (e-petitions)?
  3. Start or participate in a fundraising activity – cake-sale, sponsored silence etc.?
  4. Subscribe to the free seasonal magazine?
  5. Tell your family and friends about the NDCS, and see if they will support the NDCS by helping out in any of the above ways.
Finally, please could you tell me where you live (hometown & country – if outside the UK)…

Thanks,
Eleanor x

16 comments:

  1. hi,
    id heard about them but didn't know much about them
    yes!
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. maybe
    4. probably not
    5. yes

    Torquay!

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes
    No
    Maybe
    Yes
    yes
    yes
    Lucy Stevens School TGGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a bit about them, but not much...
    I do feel more informed now.
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

    Good - Luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Grandma!
      Very helpful :)

      Delete
  4. Yes - I am a member/subscriber
    I've learnt a little, but then I already knew a lot
    I already do
    Have already
    " "
    I already do
    Will do

    I'm from Queensland, Australia but am an ex-Brit :)
    Good luck, great charity to choose....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of the NDCS and it is a worthwhile charity,sadly like many other charities,they rely on people's generousities for their donations.People cannot make donation to all charities.The thing that I find difficult to understand is why the BBC and public including schools do a big publicising stint every year in November.Why do they not support a different charity every year.Without the donations,the TV advertising gives enough advertising for their campaign.The main way that the NDCS can get money is through the standard ways of raising money.
    The way that you are raising awareness is a great way to show people that there are other what I call hidden charities which are not in the limelight but just as important.
    That is worth as much as a donation.Yes,I would sign up to a free magazine,tell friends about the charity and maybe raise money through my Christmas lights.I would definately sign any online campaigns.
    Peter Spencer Teignmouth,Devon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Peter!
      Very helpful :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent Blog, I hope that your advocacy is successful.
    1.I had heard of them briefly, but I did not know what they did
    2.After reading your blog I feel very well informed
    3. I would now consider supporting them in anyway possible
    DEVON, Ashburton x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie Arrowsmith10 September 2014 at 13:01

    1) no
    2) yes
    3) yes

    gd luck
    devon

    ReplyDelete
  8. no yes yes yes yes no yes

    ReplyDelete