A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 21 July 2014

Growing old is inevitable, losing your memory can be helped-Support the Alzheimer’s Society

Hi! Thank you for taking an interest in my blog, I believe that the Alzheimer’s Society and being aware about dementia is vital as it is a growing problem in the UK. I hope that by reading my blog you will feel more aware of the emotional impacts of dementia and that you may feel inclined to help or donate.

Although dementia is rather well known as an illness, many are unaware of the emotional impacts to those effected and their families. The Alzheimer’s society is a charity group that works with those affected by dementia and supports them and their families all over the UK.

Dementia is a problem that I feel very strongly about as my Granddad has dementia and I know how it feels when someone close to you can’t remember your name. Christmastime is very hard for me because when I was younger I had a very good relationship with my Granddad and every year he would come over from Cyprus and they would stay for about a month. About three years ago we started to realise that Granddad would start to forget some words and was struggling to alternate from English to Greek. As the next two years passed we started to realise that his memory was progressively get worse and last Christmas he was unable to come to England and when I called him on Christmas Day I had to explain who I was to him. This was hard for me especially as we were close when I was younger. As he lives in Cyprus he doesn’t benefit from the amazing work that the Alzheimer’s society does which is a shame because, I believe that maybe his memory could have been helped if he had access to the Alzheimer’s Society.
 


Alzheimer’s society, as well as providing support sessions for those effected and their families, also raises money and funds those working towards finding a cure for dementia. This means that no one else will have to experience a family member having dementia. But, it costs money and Alzheimer’s society relies on donations for funding.

You may be wondering ‘Why should I care?’ according to the NHS it is predicted that by 2021 over 1 million people over the age of 65 in the UK with dementia, this makes it very likely that you or someone you are close to will develop dementia.

Again, thank you so much for reading my blog! Your comments and views would be very much appreciated, especially if you could write a response to the following questions and help in any way possible. Further details of what dementia is, other ways in which you can help the Alzheimer’s society and how you can donate can be found at www.alzheimers.org.uk

  • Had you ever heard of the Alzheimer’s society before
  • Do you now feel more aware of the emotional impacts of dementia
  • Do you now feel that you learned about what the Alzheimer’s society do and how they use donations
  • Finally, would you now be prepared to…
  • Make a donation to Alzheimer’s society
  • Fundraise for the Alzheimer’s society
  • Tell your friends and family about the Alzheimer’s society and try to persuade them to donate
If you do post a response please tell me where you live e.g. hometown and country (if not UK!)

Thank you again so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment