A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We should support the Ivybridge Youth Centre



Thank you for reading my blog, my name is Lorna and I am doing the Ivybridge Youth centre issue for my GCSE coursework, I would like everybody to be in favour of youth centres as they are great. A youth centre is a great place for children to attend. They are aimed at children of all ages. It is a great getaway from all the worries and responsibilities that children may have and gives them a chance to make new friends and enjoy themselves as much as they can. Youth centres do many things that range from playing table tennis to evening trips out that are fully supervised. Trips may be things like bowling that can be as cheap as £2.00.

I think that it is very important that children get to make friends and have fun outside of school. I would like everyone to be in favour of youth centres as I think they are great. Some children do not have as great a child hood as is actually possible and I am sure that many children have found their refuge in a youth centre.

I would like you to support my advocacy as if there aren’t enough children attending the youth centre then it will have to shut down and then some children will have nothing to do and will spend most of their time out on the streets, and I do not want this to happen, I want them to be having fun in a youth centre and not getting themselves into trouble.

Please can you tell me whether you think about sending your children to a youth centre? Whether you would pay for your children to go on trips with the centre? And also, do you think youth centres are a good or bad idea and why?

Again, thank you very much for reading my blog.

11 comments:

  1. I found this blog very informative. I think that there should be more youth centeres around because it is a great place for children to go and meet up with friends and have lots of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of people who go to youth clubs and their parents would be very stuck without them.
    The people I know have a lot of fun there, and have a lot of friends outside of school also, which I think is great.
    I would pay to go on these trips, as it would be a great day out for such a little price.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not sent my children to a youth centre although I do think they are a good facility that should be available for young people to use. It gives young people another option of a place to go with things to do. It's also a good place to go and meet people and make new friends.

    If my children wanted to go to a youth centre I would be happy to pay for them to attend and also any trips that were arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ivybridge Resident27 September 2010 at 20:16

    I believe that the Ivybridge Youth Centre is a valuable asset to the town.

    A relatively large proportion of Ivybridge's population is of secondary school age and there are generally few facilities for this age group. Having a recognised place where young people can meet, under passive supervision, can only benefit the town and it's residents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've worked as a Youth Worker and believe that Youth Clubs offer many opportunities for Young People to enjoy themselves and gain new skills. They can encourage self-confidence, a sense of ownership and collective responsibility as well as helping them to respect their environment and each other. They can offer many activities that Young People may not have had a chance to experience previously at a small cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youth centres are great where they provide a focal point for young people to get together and meet new friends.They can encourage young people to get involved in community issues, provide access to arts and sports activities and enable personal development through participation in programs such as Duke of Edinburgh etc.
    In the city where i grew up youth clubs were an essential part of teenage life, with sport, discos, and a thriving social scene. It's sad to say but many of the churches, schools and local authority clubs have either closed down or only offer limited provision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do think Youth Centres are a good idea but I feel that they do not "advertise" themselves enough. I have a daughter and son who are currently in secondary education but information about Youth Centres and their facilties has never, to my knowledge been distributed through any school they have attended. Surely this would be an ideal way to try encourage young people to get involved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Youth centres are a valuable asset to youngsters these days, giving them the opportunity to meet others in a less regimented environment than school and, at the same time, allowing them to develop both socially and morally. Taking part in activities which they have chosen to do themselves, helps build self confidence and gives them a good sense of achievement. We should encourage our children towards responsible adulthood and Youth Centres are an excellent starting point. Young people of Ivybridge take advantange of the opportunity to keep your Youth Centre going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that youth centres are really important. They allow young people to experience some freedom and responsibility out of the family home, where they can meet their friends and chill out, without wandering the streets at night. They also offer new friendship opportunities, outside of the usual school contacts.
    The trips and activities that youth centres offer are usually at a much more reasonable cost than booking them as an individual, which allows youngsters to experience a wider range of fun adventures than they would normally have access to.
    When my children reach the age of going out alone, I hope that we are able to find a suitable youth centre nearby. It would give me peace of mind knowing they're somewhere safe, and I would definitely consider paying for them to take part in organised activities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog!!
    I don't have any children but if I did I'd be happy to send them to a youth centre!
    I would pay for them to go on trips, especially if they're as cheap as £2.00!!!!!
    I think youth centres are very good ideas because people moan all the time about youngsters scribbling graffiti everywhere and if there's cheap youth centres to keep them busy, it will reduce these problems greatly!!!
    Well done, keep up the good work!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog is really informative and I have learnt a lot from it. As I don't have any children I can't personally said I would, but I think more people should. I also think youth centers are really good and we need more of them for young children.

    ReplyDelete