A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 7 September 2010

We should all support HCPT


HCPT are a group of amazing people who take disabled children to Lourdes to be touched and in some cases healed by the Virgin Mother. A usual group has a helper to each child, or in some cases two to a child and a leader, who doesn’t have a child so they can concentrate on organising group activities like treasure hunts, crafts, meals out and games. There are many different groups around the country, they all have different numbers.

It all started in 1956 when Michael Strode made the first pilgrimage, taking a small group of disabled children to Lourdes. He did this every year, and many others decided to join in the effort

Their original aims were to take children to Lourdes to be healed by our Virgin Mother Mary and their aims have not changed at all since then, though they are more funded by charity now. The founder felt this was an important thing because disabled or handicapped children can be healed by going to the springs in Lourdes and bathing in the water. This is an amazing miracle that has changed the lives of many people, both mentally and physically.

They do many fundraising events, including sponsored walks and concerts, which raise money to pay for the children’s fares.

Please take the time to answer a few questions
Did you know about HCPT before you read this?
If not, do you now feel informed?
Are you willing to support them?
Have you ever supported them before?
Have we changed your opinion on organisations like HCPT?

Thank you for your time, Charlie and Grace

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I had heard about HCPT before and I sometimes helped out at church where there is a group there. I help out with charity events a lot. Now I have read this I will probably help out more. I think it is a great charity because I am a catholic and I believe it will help them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had never heard of the HCPT before reading this and i now will contribute more.
    this blog gives me a clear understanding of the cause and i will be informing my friends and family about the organisation. Many Thanks for providing me the information i want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello,
    i had never heard of HCPT before either and this blog really makes me realise what things go on without many people knowing about it. i will definetly look in to it more now, and try to support them :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know about the HCPT before i read this, I do feel very informed about it as the content of this is very good, I am very willing to support this organisation because it lets disadvantaged children a chance to do many fun activities. However, personally I do not believe that the springs will heal the children, as I have a brother with autism. But either way it gives the children good opportunities therefore i think the organisation is very good because of that.

    Greatt blogg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Charlie and Grace!, I did not know about the HCPT before I read this and now I feel very informed, I shall definatly support the organisation as it gives disadvantaged children a chance to have fun with games and treasure hunts. However I do not believe that the springs will heal them, my brother has autism you see. Either way though, I still think it is a great organisation and Im sure the children would have a lot of fun going on the trip :)

    VERY GOOD BLOGG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already knew about hcpt. I will continue to support the charity as I already have.I still think the same about hcpt, because I have always agreed with their cause and have been to Lourdes with them.

    GREAT BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I didn't know.
    2. I am very informed now.
    3. I am VERY willing to support them.
    4. No.
    5. No, as I already thought those organisations were very good.
    A VERY GOOD BLOG!!! I SUPPORT YOUR CAUSE ALL THE WAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you know about HCPT before you read this? I had never ever heard of hcpt before i read your blog, but know i know loads!
    If not, do you now feel informed? I feel much more informed than i did before as i didnt now about it (:
    Are you willing to support them? I am very willing to support them :D
    Have you ever supported them before? Nope :(
    Have we changed your opinion on organisations like HCPT? Yeah, i just thought they raised the money to buy wheelchairs and stuff, but some, such as hcpt do different stuff such as taking the children to the healing springs xx

    Tank yu a gd blog (: :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew about organisations like HCPT and their work, but I had never specifically hear of this one. I am undecided as to whether or not to support them. I think they are a great idea though, but I'm not sure whether I would support them.

    ReplyDelete