A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Why should we do more to help disabled people with cerebral palsy?

Hello I am called Kirsty. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I believe and feel that disabled people should have the same opportunities to fulfill their life ambitions as non-disabled people. Many people throughout the whole world have been affected by cerebral palsy. If it wasn’t for Scope, people with cerebral palsy wouldn’t have the right facilities that are needed to keep them help care for them, live there lives as normal people as much as they can and make them happy. When you have finished reading my blog, I hope I will have made you think about disabled people with cerebral palsy and hope you are willing to help. I also hope I will have given you a bit more information about Scope and what it does.

I feel very strongly in making sure disabled people with cerebral palsy are being cared for the way in which they deserve. Scope helps so many people – like this boy called ‘Charles’s’.


Going 18 months back, ‘Charles’ was first diagnosed with cerebral palsy. His mum was very worried and didn’t know what to do. If it wasn’t for Scope Response (A team that provides free, impartial and expert information, advice and support to disabled people, their families, careers and professionals), I don’t know how she would have been able to cope. She was able to turn to the one place families can turn at what can be a lonely and anxious time in their lives. Scope Response was able to visit her and Charles within a few days, offering emotional support and expert advice on cerebral palsy when no one else could. A lady from the charity Scope sat with her for two hours, listening to her concerns. She was able to give her leaflets, including Scope’s Parent Information Pack, which has been specially developed to answer the questions every parent has in this situation. And most crucially, was able to explain cerebral palsy, and what it meant for ‘Charles’s’ future, in a way she could understand.

Thank you for reading my blog again. If you don’t mine can you please post me a message with your thoughts and in particularly I would be ever so grateful if you can answer these few questions listed below – and help in anyway you can/want to like donate some money (even if it is only pennies). Anything is grateful. If you do post a response, please can you tell me where you are from i.e. your home town and country (if not UK)? For more information, you can visit www.scope.org.uk
1. Have you heard about cerebral palsy and how it affects your family as well as yourself?
2. Do you now feel more informed about the issues cerebral palsy can cause?
3. Would you be prepared/want to donate in anyway to Scope i.e. make a donation or start and join a fundraising campaign?
4. Would you be willing to tell you friends and family about Scope and what is does?
5. Have I changed your opinions on Scope and disabled people with cerebral palsy?

Thank you again so much!
Kirsty

5 comments:

  1. hi good blog, it is really touching and i will be prepared to donate as i have sponsered someone raising money for it!!!! This has made me more aware of the issue and i am willing to talk to family members about the issue more confidently.
    This has made me alot more aware of the issue
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed with your blog and found it very informative. I agree parents with disabled children need all the help and advice they can get and you have opened my eyes to the good professional help Scope can give
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog very interesting to read. Even though I knew a little about the work Scope do, I feel I would now be more likely donate or help do some fund raising for them.
    I think it is a very worthwhile cause and without Scope's help the disabled children's life that little bit harder.
    A fantastic job, well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already knew a bit about Scope but after reading this blog it has made me more aware about how they help. This is very well wrote and you have put alot of effort into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really good blog i would now consider donating

    ReplyDelete