A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Together we WILL beat Cancer

Thank you for taking an interest in my blog and I hope that I can inform you all about my chosen advocacy, Cancer Research UK. As my aim is to raise awareness, gain support and change the opinions of people like you.

Their aim is to research new cures treatments and diagnosis for those with Cancer, but they cannot do this without the help of the public. If we fundraise by holding events such as sponsored races, all of the money will go towards fulfilling Cancer Research UK’s dream.

But how do you know exactly WHO Cancer Research help?

Vikki from Eastbourne is an example, here is her story.

As a police officer, Vikki was always a busy person until smoking started to take over her life, she was worried she would eventually develop cancer but something made her realise what the real problem was of her situation. Sadly, her dad died of lung cancer recently, which inspired her to help give up and prevent the same thing happening to her. But it did not come with ease as she tried a few times before actually giving up. She is now healthy and happy with the rest of her life ahead of her.

To find out more about her story visit this link: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/smokingandtobacco/reallifestories/
Even though Cancer Research UK could not provide a cure for her father, Vikki continues to support the charity due to the fact that she knows how important it is to try and beat cancer as she nearly had the experience herself. She often takes part in fundraising activities and encourages anybody who can to take part.

So why should YOU help?

The matter of cancer may not seem relevant to you at this very moment, but it does cross most people’s lives at some point. Whether it is you, a family or friend, or anybody you know that is affected. This is why it is important to research cancer now to prevent it from happening in the future. But like their motto says, TOGETHER we will beat cancer so everybody needs to have some influence towards it.

Here are some main reasons of why you should help Cancer Research UK:

- Death rates will decrease dramatically if cures are found for Cancer because it is a known killer. Although a lot of cancer can be treated nowadays, it is still a very dangerous illness that would be best avoided.
- To help family or friends.
- It is possible to help people, however close or far away they are to you, which makes you feel like you have made a real difference.
- And finally, the main reason, to beat cancer!

Although the people in the photo may not look important, these are just two of the many doctors that help to fulfil Cancer Research UK’s dream.

Once again, thank you for taking an interest in my blog and I hope I have informed you about everything to do with Cancer Research UK but I don’t know what you thought without you posting a response! Please reply, explaining how you feel about this charity before and after my blog, would you now be prepared to help Cancer Research, have I changed your feelings towards the issue of cancer and any other additional comments you wish to make. Anything would be helpful! Also, please could you include your country (where you are from).
Thank you, Sharna.

5 comments:

  1. i think cancer research UK is an Excellent cause, and from reading your blog i will be willing to donate more to cancer research, It is very informative, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always supported this charity but your blog has given me a lot more knowledge on what and who they help.
    Yes, i would now be prepared to help Cancer Research.
    No, i wouldn't say say you have changed my feelings towards the issue of cancer as I have always supported any cancer based charity and think that cancer is a very severe cause but you have given me more Knowledge on Cancer Research Uk.
    And I am from Devon, England

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sharna :)
    Having read your blog I now feel more informed about Cancer research, and although I have always supported it I now feel more inclined to do so in more ways.
    I would now be willing to help them.
    You have changed my feelings because I now know more about it and feel more inclined to help it as I know understand the problem better.
    My additional comment is GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR ADVOCATINGS :D
    from Alice (: <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think cancer research UK is a considerate cause as the rate of cancer growth in the population is increasing everyday , and from reading your blog i will be willing to donate more to cancer research:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're blog has really informed me of cancer research charity. I had previously heard about the charity but you have explained it in so much more depth. My opinions havent been changed but have become stronger because of your truly inspirational blog:') England, Thank you for opening my eyes to this issue further.

    ReplyDelete