A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Abandoned Animals are In Distress – could you be their hero?


Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking interest in my blog, as I feel that the cause I am supporting is important. Animals In Distress is an organisation that helps all abandoned animals. This cause is very close to my heart, as I have adopted animals there before.

Animals In Distress do a fantastic job saving the lives of over 1000 unwanted pets in the area each year. However, this charity is in constant need of support from the public. Hundreds of animals depend on shelters like Animals In Distress, and if they hadn’t received any support then all of these animals would be suffering.

Tessa the cat is an inhabitant of Animals In Distress who has ongoing medication for Cystitis which could easily be caused by the stress of her past life. Animals In Distress wouldn’t be able to give her the medication, let alone a place to stay, without your donations. She could have still been out on the streets, her Cystitis worse than ever.


So, could you help animals like Tessa? There are many other animals just like her that are still undiscovered on the streets. If considering having a pet, please adopt one from here, as they need your help more than any other animal. Animals deserve love and care just as much as we do. Could you neglect an innocent animal?

There are several ways in which you can help out at the shelter.
 Donate – even the smallest donation could make an animal’s life so much better. You can donate things like money, food, old towels, duvets or toys, etc.
 Volunteering – You can volunteer as a staff member, helping the staff control the increasing number of animals flooding into the shelter, or just volunteer to walk a dog, giving the staff more time to do other important jobs around the shelter.
 Attending fundraising events – this would be a fun way to help out, as there are a variety of activities you can take part in.
 Sponsoring an animal –this could help the animal a great deal.
 Adopting – this is the best way to help this cause, as adopting would decrease the amount of animals that the shelter has to care for, and it would make the animals very happy!

Whatever you decide to do to help this cause would be greatly appreciated, as it all goes a long way. If you are interested in helping these animals, go to their website for more details: www.animalsindistress.uk.com/

Thank you again for reading my blog. I hope you will now recommend this page to others, so everyone can realise how important this cause really is. Please can you answer the questions below (this will help me realise how successful I have been, so I would really appreciate it). It would be great if you could just write a few words in answer. Also, please state your hometown and country where you live (this is not compulsory but again would be hugely appreciated, as then I can see how far my advocacy has spread!). The questions are listed below:

 Had you heard of this shelter before?
 Have I informed you thoroughly about this cause?
 Would you be willing to support or donate to this cause after reading this blog by doing any of the following:
o Donating
o Volunteering
o Attending Fundraising events
o Sponsoring an animal
o Adopting
 Have I changed your attitude/opinion to the increasingly worrying problem of abandoned animals?
 Have you got any additional comments?

Many thanks, Helen

10 comments:

  1. In response to your questions:
    - Yes, I had heard of this charity before, as I live in the village.
    - You have given us a detailed insight into the cause, however I feel that I would have to visit the charity's own website to find out how to get involved.
    - I would be willing to support this cause by volunteering and possibly donating.
    - By telling us an anecdote of one of AID's residents (Tessa) you have shown me how serious the problem of abandoned animals is, and have alerted me to the fact that the cases are more common than I originally thought.
    I thought that your blog was insightful and alerts us (the readers) to the ongoing problem of abandoned animals. It made me feel guilty, even though I have not contributed to this problem! But this guilt has made me want to donate even more to help this wonderful charity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I had heard of animals in distress before but didn't know about the shelter.
    2. Yes, it was really insightful.
    3. Yes, I would definately help in any way possible, especially donating or volunteering.
    4. I already supported their cause.
    Tabitha, Torquay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabitha Dodd, Torquay8 September 2011 at 13:06

    1. I had heard of animals in distress before but not of this particular shelter.
    2. Yes, you gave me some really insightful knowledge.
    3. Yes, I would definately donate or volunteer.
    4. I always supported the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had you heard of this shelter before?
    Yes I have.
     Have I informed you thoroughly about this cause?
    It was a very informative blog, well done!
     Would you be willing to support or donate to this cause after reading this blog by doing any of the following:
    o Donating- I would certainly consider donating.
    o Volunteering- I realise this would be a lot of fun whilst helping out, so maybe, yes.
    o Attending Fundraising events- Yes.
    o Sponsoring an animal- Yes.
    o Adopting- Maybe.
     Have I changed your attitude/opinion to the increasingly worrying problem of abandoned animals? No, but you have made it stronger for your cause
    . Have you got any additional comments?
    WELL DONE!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  5.  Had you heard of this shelter before?
    Yes I have.

     Have I informed you thoroughly about this cause?
    Yes, and your presentation was very inspiring and I felt it was very brave of you to stand in front of a year 11 form. I know I couldn't have done that especially when I was in your year.

     Would you be willing to support or donate to this cause after reading this blog by doing any of the following:
    ☻ Donating
    o Volunteering
    ☻ Attending Fundraising events
    o Sponsoring an animal
    o Adopting

     Have I changed your attitude/opinion to the increasingly worrying problem of abandoned animals?
    Well I'm certainly more aware of it now, I have made a contribution to helping abandoned animals in the past as I rescued a dog 3 years ago.

     Have you got any additional comments?
    Great presentation and good luck with your citizenship GCSE! Advice: do PLENTY of revision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Yes
    2. Defiantly
    3. Yes, if I ever get any money..
    4. Volunteering,Sponsoring an animal, ADOPTING!!
    5. I was already aware of the problems with abandoned animals but I wasn't aware of the statics or bothered to research any further into the issue
    6. Good blog, I will defiantly be looking into animal shelters in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have heard of this shelter many times, as I live in the local area.
    I feel very well informed about this cause - I learnt things that I didn't know before.
    I would definitely consider donating, and in particular helping out at the shelter by walking dogs.
    My opinion was always positive towards this cause, but you have made me even more confident about this opinion.
    I think this is a good, thorough blog - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had heard of this shelter before, and have visited many times.
    I feel very well infomrmed about this issue thanks to this blog.
    I would certainly consider donating and walking the dogs their.
    I always valued the importance of animals, but this has made me realise just how important it is to help them.
    Well done, this is a good blog. It is very informative and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I have heard of this shelter before. I live near here.
    I feel very well informed about this cause thanks to this blog.
    I would definitely consider donating, in particualr walking dogs.
    My opinion hasn't changed as I have always supported this cause.
    Well done, this is a good informative blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, i have heard of this charity, me and my family donate some of our old clothes to their shop.
    Yes, i am more informed about this blog.
    I donate now, and i would love to adopt animals from here some day.
    My opinion has not been changed, purely because i have always supported Animals in Distress.
    This is a very good blog, one of the best on here, well done

    ReplyDelete