A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 22 June 2011

Anorexia KILLS- why choose thin over freedom?

Hello, thank you for reading my blog! This blog is here to raise your awareness about Anorexia Nervosa. I am supporting ‘BEAT’ which is a charity helping eating disorders throughout the UK.

Beat supports many disorders, but mainly Anorexia nervosa and Bulimia. Anorexia is a disease or condition when people under eat or starve themselves. People who suffer from Anorexia usually lose extreme amounts of weight, an average of 15% of their original weight in total.

People with Anorexia feel that they are overweight even though they are obviously not. They adopt an extreme dieting pattern to the point where they stop eating altogether. They disguise the fact that they are not eating by lying to their family and friends saying things like ‘I’ve already eaten’ or ‘I had a late lunch’ when they haven’t eaten at all.

Anyone could suffer from Anorexia, even men but the most common is in women and girls in their teens. This is usually to do with the media and modelling. The media take a big part in this by hiring thin models.

People with Anorexia believe that they have to look like these models and believe that the only way that they can control their lives is to eat almost nothing and that people only like them because they’re thin. However this is almost certainly untrue and all they are doing is worrying their family and friends.

Why should you care?
Anorexia is a terrible illness and over 10 million people suffer from it in the UK. Very sadly, 20% of those people die.

If you would like to know more about beat, you can visit www.b-eat.co.uk to find out more.

Please can you take a moment to answer these questions? Have you heard about Anorexia Nervosa before?
 Do you feel that you are more informed about the causes and symptoms of anorexia?
 Would you be prepared to…?

• Make any amount of donation towards Beat?
• Support Beat in the future?
• Take part in any fundraising events towards this charity?
• Campaign for this charity?
• Inform others about beat?
• Find out more?

I will again thank you for reading my blog. You post the answers to my questions and add a comment on how good you think my blog is. Finally, could you tell me your home town and country (if not UK)

Thanks!
Maya

19 comments:

  1. no
    sort of
    maybe
    no
    no
    no
    no
    maybe to learn more
    Edinburgh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know alot more about anorexia now and will try to support beat. I would like to take partin fundraising events towards this charity and tyhankyou for a great blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of BEAT before, and thought about supporting, I didn't really know what ALL of it was about, but now I do and I think I will support. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard about beat before and I have learned more about it. I will tell more people about it so they are aware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent heard about beat before but i definetely have learned more about it. I will inform others about it and try to help beat as much as i can. I know alot about anorexia and this blog has told me how serious it can be. Thanks ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not heard about BEAT before, however I had heard of anorexia. I do feel as though I know more about the symptoms now and I feel that what you are doing is really important rasing awareness. I might make a donation after reading your blog and I definitely support their cause. Newton Abbot, UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was not aware of how many people suffer from this disease and I am now more aware of the symptoms.Anorexia is very often glamorized by the media and I feel you have conveyed the serious nature of the disease.

    I have heard about anorexia before but I feel I am now more informed about the illness and would be prepared to inform others of beat and possibly donate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. georgia h and daisy k10 September 2012 at 10:04

    we aware of this disorder before but we feel more informed after reading the blog.we would support BEAT in the future as we feel it is a worthwhile campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew it was a horrible thing that lots of people suffer with but I didn't realize quite how many! It's a really bad disease and I didn't know that so many people died from it too. I know a lot more about it now. Brill blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wasnt aware that anorexia could be so extreme! its shocking

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is disgusting well the pic is
    hop[efully people will start donating as it is horrible to look at

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) i have heard of being anorexia before but not the charity beat.
    2) Yes
    3) maybe
    4) yes
    5) yes
    6) yes
    7) yes
    8) yes
    9) yes

    Devon

    and finally great imformative blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this has enformed me very wellabout the illness of anorexia and i will make sure i tell people about this blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1 i have heard of anorexia but not the charity
    2 yes
    3 maybe
    4 y
    y
    y
    y
    y
    y
    yy
    y

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1)yes
    2)yes
    3)no
    4)yes
    5)maybe
    6)no
    7)yes
    8)yes

    fab blog,very informative its so horrible about what some people think of them selves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes
    Definitely

    Yes I would donate
    Definitely
    Maybe
    Yes
    For sure
    Yes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes
    No
    I would be willing to support Beat in the future.

    From Torquay, UK

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes
    Yes
    I would probably be prepared to donate
    Maybe
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

    ReplyDelete
  19. No - but then I already know a lot about eating disorders (am anorexic with bulimic tendencies myself)
    Already donate & support BEAT
    Yes, would fundraise & campaign & would definatley inform others
    From Nr. Torquay UK

    ReplyDelete