A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 29 April 2013

Rescue the rhinos!



Help the International Rhino Foundation achieve this
 
Hi,
I’m Izzy, and I’m writing to you all because currently hundreds of rhinos are being poached for their horns.


The poachers kill them for their horns because they are going for a very high price in the black market. This is because some people think they have medicinal properties. Though this has not been scientifically proven.
This has been a problem for many years but recently some species of rhino, such as the Javan rhino has declined drastically. There are now only 30-40 of them left and only in Indonesia.
The international rhino foundation is helping with this. They protect the rhinos and do everything in their power to stop the poachers. But without donations they can’t carry on for long.

By donating:

A Gift of $50 will enable Indonesia’s Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary to provide five days of food, medicine and care for one Sumatran rhino.

A Gift of $100 will fund one rhino protection unit -- five rangers -- in Indonesia’s Ujung Kulon National Park while they patrol the park and prevent poaching of Javan rhinos and other animals for four days.

A Gift of $500 will pay for two satellite radios for South African rangers to use to immediately report indications of black rhino poachers, so that they can be apprehended and prosecuted.

A Gift of $1,000 will pay for one month of veterinary care for Zimbabwe’s population of black rhinos, enabling staff veterinarians to rescue and treat animals that have been injured by poachers or caught in snares.

A Gift of $5,000 will fund construction of one guard post in India’s Manas National Park, where park rangers will live and work while guarding newly-trans located Indian rhinos.

Please log onto their website to find out more about the brilliant work they do at http://rhinos.org/

It would be very helpful to me if you answered the questions below/the ones you can, so please take the time to comment.

  • Had you heard about this cause before?
  • If no, do you feel more informed?
  • If yes, have I changed your opinion?
  • Would you now support/donate to the international rhino foundation?
If you do comment please can you say where you are from i.e. your country and hometown?

Thank you for your time,
Izzy :)

7 comments:

  1. very well done, a good cause

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from Kenya, i have heard about this charity before and me and my friends have helped some workers in the past on this subject. I think it is very important that we wipe out poaching in general, not just with rhinos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard about this charity before, however i have watched some documentaries on the poaching and after reading this will consider supporting them and their work through donations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a mother living in Kent and my eldest daughter did some advocating for school. I think your blog is very good and I have learnt more about this charity and the issue of rhino poaching, I didn't know much about it before. Thank you for making me more aware about the issue and if I see their name anywhere I'll make sure to donate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that this charity existed. I suspected that this sort of thing happened and now I know there is a charity to help, I will definitely be pledging my support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Exeter. This is a very important matter, thank you for raising more awareness about it and for informing me about how serious it actually is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of this charity before and I am very pleased that you are advocating to stop poaching and I will support you along the way

    livvy

    ReplyDelete