A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 29 April 2013

CLIC Sargent - helping families overcome childhood cancer.



Firstly, I would like to thank you very much for taking an interest in my Blog! My name is Freya and I am trying to raise awareness for CLIC (Cancer and leukemia in children) Sargent, as I feel their work is amazing. I understand there are many cancer charities set up today, but CLIC is different. However, it isn’t very well known, so I hope after reading my blog you will know a bit more about the issue, and whether you would consider supporting CLIC.

CLIC Sargent gives help to the children (and their relatives) who need it most. They stand by the families throughout the whole process, from diagnosis to cure, life after, and sometimes, bereavement.
Unlike many other charities, they focus only on children and young people. They listen to the children, they listen to their parents, their siblings, and then give them the comfort that they need. Their aim is to help ensure that the whole family receives the support which works best for them.

Everybody knows that nobody deserves cancer. If I was asked ‘what is the best thing about children’, I would say that it is that they are carefree. But, how can children with cancer live without any worries? They can’t. Although one thing that it is sure is that they are the happiest people you will meet.

The picture to the right shows my 11 year old cousin who is currently fighting lung cancer, for the 3rd time. Her journey hasn’t been the best. Her cancer  keeps coming back, and the medication isn’t working. Anything could happen to Ana, but she takes each day as it comes. Despite this, and with the help of CLIC Sargent, she always has a smile on her face. They have supported her from the very beginning, and I know that my family are very grateful to CLIC Sargent - without them, she might not be where she is today. They help many other families just like mine, and help them as much as they can and never give up. CLIC is the UK’s leading cancer charity for children and young people, but at the moment, they can only help 2 out of 3 children with cancer. We cannot afford to leave this figure as it is, but if you support CLIC Sargent this figure could raise, and children could live a carefree life, knowing they are going to have a cancer free tomorrow.

You could be reading this thinking; cancer will never affect me. Many people believe this. But, this is not true. Cancer can affect anybody, no matter who they are. Today, 10 families will hear that their child has cancer. It could be your family, your child, or maybe even your child’s child. Nobody knows. So why wait until it is too late? If you would like to find out more about CLIC Sargent, please visit http://www.clicsargent.org.uk/
If you would like to get involved, please click the link, it couldn’t be more simple to show that you care.
I would be very grateful if you could please take the time to answer a few questions, it would really help me with my advocacy. If you do post a response, please can you tell me where you come from i.e your home town and country, so I can see how far my blog has reached.

  • Did you know or had you heard about CLIC Sargent and the issues before?
  • Do you now feel more informed and aware of the issues and why we need to help?
  • Would you now consider donating towards CLIC Sargent?
  • Would you consider taking part in a fundraising event?
  • Would you tell your family and friends about the problems and how CLIC have helped?
  • Please leave a comment so I can see how successful my advocacy was.

Lastly, I would like to say a final thank you for reading my blog, and hopefully leaving a comment! I hope I have made you more aware of why this is such a big issue. Many thanks, Freya!

2 comments:

  1. No, I did not know about CLIC Sargent
    Yes, I now feel more informed
    Yes, I would consider donating
    Yes, I would consider taking part in a fundraising event
    Yes, I would tell other people about CLIC
    It was very heartwarming and emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about CLIC before. I do feel more informed. I would consider donating. I would take part in a fundraiser. I would tell family and friends.
    very good blog this is obviously close to you.

    ReplyDelete