A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 30 April 2013

No one chooses cancer, but you can choose to help (Cancer Research UK)



Hi, my name is Millie and first of all I would like to thank you for visiting my blog.
I am being an advocate for Cancer Research UK and I hope that you will join me in bringing the day when all cancers are cured, forward. I would like to change the opinions of the people that think that cancer won’t affect them, as even though they haven’t got it now they are always at risk. I am trying to raise awareness about the risks of cancer and how they might affect you; also how you can prevent and minimalize your chances of being diagnosed. You can help by donating monthly, being part of their fundraising events or raising money. Either way I think that it is important that you support my charity because one day you could be one of the victims of cancer, wouldn’t you want someone to help?

The main problem that I face is that people are denying that cancer is going to affect them, until it is too late. We need to change people’s attitudes fast as 1 in 3 people are now diagnosed with cancer. This means that whether it’s a friend, a family member or yourself, cancer is likely to affect you or someone close to you. There are many ways to support and this can be done by donating a little each month, raising money or even participating in one of CRUK’s events; whichever way you choose, you’re supporting the doctors, nurses and scientists that are fighting cancer. By doing this you are helping the mothers, toddlers, babies, fathers, children and grandparents who are battling cancer. Slowly research is killing cancer, we have the knowledge and we are very close to the cure; we  just need the funding! Here is a little bit about what CRUKS actually does to help the millions of people fighting cancer…

If this was someone you knew, would you help?



Here is a link for more about the life-changing work Cancer Research UK does…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lBvTHXj18MA

One third of people are developing cancer and the longer it lives the more victims it is claiming. One day it could be you! The cure only has to be found once... Only once to save millions of lives; to save your friend’s life; to save your mother’s life; to save your daughter’s life. Would you help?

I would just like to thank you again for taking the time to read my blog and I would be very grateful if you left some feedback for me including your thoughts about my blog. More importantly could you answer the following questions below…

  1. Had you heard of Cancer Research UK before reading my blog?
  2. Do you now feel more informed of the issues about cancer and how CRUK’S work is helping?
  3. Would you now consider supporting our charity by donating, fundraising or taking part in one of CRUK’s events?
  4. Would you now tell your friends or family about CRUK to raise awareness about the issues?
  5. Have I changed your attitude towards cancer risks. Please specify how and why?

If you are going to post a reply please include your home town and country.
I thank you again for your time. Many thanks, Millie.

5 comments:

  1. 1. I have heard about it before but not a lot.
    2. Yes i do, it was very informative.
    3. Yes, it's a very worth while charity.
    4. I would tell everybody i know so the word can spread about CRUK.
    5. I never thought that cancer would affect me but after rteading this i realize that this isn't the case.
    Mia Torquay

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yes I have
    2. Yes, I have learnt a lot about the actual charity's work!
    3.Yes, all three!
    4. Yes, I would
    5. I feel a lot more aware of the damage cancer can cause - a real reality check!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I have
    2. yes, it is very good
    3. Yes
    4.yes definitely
    5. Yes I know more detail
    I never thought I could be affected by cancer but I realise it can happen to anyone
    Livi Torquay UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. yes
    2. yes i now know about all of Cancer Research UK's work!
    3. definitely
    4. yes, its a very worthy charity
    5. well, yes because i now know that a saddening 1 in 3 people develop it! which could possibly be me or a relative

    exeter, rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) yes but only briefly
    2) yes your blog is very informative!
    3) yes and i have done in the past
    4) ofcourse
    5) it made me think about how it might effect me or my family so yes

    sky, kent

    ReplyDelete