A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 29 April 2013

Whaling – Help Campaign Whale end this unnecessary industry!



Hi, I’m Izzy and I’m really concerned about whaling.

First of all I would like to thank you for taking an interest in my blog! And I really do hope that you will be kind enough to take just a couple of minutes of your time just to read the rest of it. Not many people know enough about whaling and what it is doing, so hopefully when you’ve finished reading my blog, you will know more about it.

I feel very strongly against whaling as I think it is just extremely ignorant to kill so many innocent whales and put them through such immense pain that no living thing deserves to go through. In the picture below you can see a mother and a baby whale in agony as they are dragged out of their home waters in Japan. 7400 whales are slaughtered each year, and this is putting some types of whale in great danger of extinction in the near future.







 


We all really need to get involved with helping or these whales will disappear from our oceans at a scary rate. Campaign Whale are an organisation that work with other charities and are trying to call an end to whaling. Campaign Whale is an influential, non-profit organisation dedicated to protecting whales, dolphins and porpoises and their habitats. The organisation was established in 1980 and is managed by founding Director, Andy Ottaway, a well-respected leading expert in whale and dolphin protection. Campaign Whale has a small team of staff and the organisation benefits from the support of a number of long-term volunteers.

Commercial whaling was banned in 1986, but Iceland, Norway and Japan seem to think that this ban, which the rest of the world abides by, does not apply to them. They continue to take dangerous amounts of whales out of our oceans, butcher them up and sell them to their citizens under what they call : “for scientific reasons”. This is utterly ridiculous as it is so clearly FAKE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH!!!!! Why is this being allowed to carry on!? You can see what Campaign Whale are doing to try and end it at www.campaign-whale.org.

Right now you might be thinking: ‘I would rather give money to a charity that helps PEOPLE not animals’. But why? Why are animals less important than humans? No-one’s ever suggested that humans are endangered have they? But whales are! Would you rather save one person, when there are millions and millions left on this planet, or would you rather save one whale, with only as few as a hundred of that type of whale left in the whole world. Would you rather save a hundred people or a whole species?!

Thank you very much for reading my blog, and please just take a few moments to write a response. Please answer the following questions:

  1. Had you heard about campaign whale before you read my blog?
  2. Do you feel more informed about Campaign Whale and whaling now you’ve read my blog?
  3. Would you now happily support campaign whale by becoming a member, joining in in protests or donating money?
  4. Have I changed your opinion about whaling or made you think about changing your behaviour concerning this issue? If so how?

Please put the country in which you come from at the end of your answers to the questions.

Thanks for reading my blog!
Izzy

5 comments:

  1. 1. Yes but only briefly
    2.Yes definitely
    3.Yes
    4.Yes it needs to be stopped!i really want to get involved now i feel more informed and impowered to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)NO
    2)YES
    3)YES, I REALLY REALLY WANT TO HELP CAMPAIGN WHALE!!
    4)YES, BEFORE I DIDN'T REALLY KNOW THE EXTENT AND FACTS BEHIND IT, BUT NOW I DO I FEEL SHOCKED AND ANNOYED. I WILL TRY TO CHANNEL MY ANGER BY REFUSING TO BUY ANY SEAFOOD PRODUCTS FROM NORWAY, JAPAN AND ICELAND - IF WE ALL DO THIS THEN IT HOPEFULLY WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE, SO I WILL TELL ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO JOIN IN WITH ME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no
    yep
    yesss
    no, I always thought whaling was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no
    yes
    maybe
    yes I didn't really know much before and now I know I realise it's bad and needs to stop

    ReplyDelete
  5. no
    Yes very
    I wouldn't become a member but I would definitely support it
    no I have always thought it's horrific.

    ReplyDelete