A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 5 July 2010

Torquay Should Be Encouraged to Recycle


Torquay should be encouraged to recycle. Hello, thank you for reading our blog, we are a group of Year 8 students doing our GCSE advocacy course and we are trying to gain support for Torquay, to be given more local and easier access to recycling facilities so that people will not have to travel as far to recycle their rubbish.

As we live in Torquay, we know that there are not enough local recycling facilities for you to be able to easily get rid of bottles, cans and many more objects. We would like you to support our campaign as it would benefit you and your family in many ways. We also know that the few recycling bins around Torquay are labelled and easy for people to put their recycling into and if the whole of Torquay had these then it would encourage more people to put their rubbish in the bin instead of dropping it on the floor and leaving it there, as there would be more clearly labelled bins nearby to drop their rubbish into. Furthermore, we are also trying to get children involved as it is their future we are dealing with and so if they were told more about it in school and at clubs, maybe they would be more willing to help save the environment. If parents and schools encourage and help children make more arts and crafts out of old materials so this would not only be fun for children but it would also help the environment.

Even if people aren’t particularly interested in or don’t think we need more recycling facilities then we would still like to get the message across about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle as even by a person doing this they are helping the environment and helping reduce waste.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read our blog, please feel free to post us with a response of your thoughts. In particular, it would be great if you could answer some of these questions in your responses;

• Have we changed your opinion about wanting to make Torquay a more recycle friendly area?
• Had you thought about the issue that there weren’t enough recycling facilities before you read our blog?
• Do you now feel more informed about the ways you could help about recycling?
• Would you be willing to support our campaign?
• Would you be willing to tell your family and friends about making Torquay a more recycle friendly area?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read about our Advocacy, and posting your comments, we hope you are now aware about what we are advocating for.

Chloe, Katie and Jess.

8 comments:

  1. good blog - and yes i was already for reycling
    to be fair i hadnt really thought about the facilities at first, also i am already supportinga nd doing my own campaign so yes i would. and for the final question i have already and they are very mush for recycling. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, although i did already recycle!
    Yes, i now feel more informed about the ways that you could help by recycling although i already know quite alot and support this issue.
    Yes, i would know be willing to support your campaign.
    Yes, i would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had noticed before I read this that the recycling facilities were not apropriet for the general amount of household waste. I personaly think that the currant system they have in some areas were by plastic bags/seagull bags are used is a very un-hygenic way of disposing of waste and could easily cause desies is not monitered carefully with the atraction the waste bags hold for rats and vermin. I think that the standard green and black bins would be a better alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am doing the same issue, exactly the same with my two peers. surprisingly my blog was nearly the same! there are some good issues, welldone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi
    this has defiantly changed my opinion of recycling, I hadn't seen that there was an issue before I read this blog, but now i am willing to support your campaign and this issue! I will tell all of my friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, This has changed my opinion on recycling and I will continue to recycle in the future. I am certainly willing to support your campaign. I think that children should have more recycling lessons as most children don't have any.
    Thank you, Oliver Russell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, This has certainly changed my opinion on recycling for the better, i did not realise how much of an issue that it was, I will now do all that i can to recycle more and am willing to support your campaigns. I agree with your point about children having recycling lessons at school as a lot of children do no have any information on it and a lot of them should do. I will tell my family and friends about making torbay a more recycle friendly area, as it is close to my home in Exeter and I think that if Torbay do something than other areas like exeter are likely to catch on and follow the great example and ideas that you are putting out there. I have seen that you have got a lot of possitive responces and i would like to congratulate you on that and how you have inspired me to do more for the community in terms of recycling and the environment.
    Thanks
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have defiantly changed my views on recycling and the facilities in Torbay and I learnt a lot from this very clear Blog. I have never really thought about the recycling facilities until I read this Blog. I defiantly feel more informed about the issue of recycling, yes. I would defiantly be interested in joining your campaign for more recycling facilities as I now realise there is not enough. I am defiantly going to tell my friends and family about this next time I see them. Well done on this excellent Blog!

    ReplyDelete