A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 5 July 2010

Recycling! Why we should bother!


Thank you very much for taking time to read my blog.
Trying to recycle more and to help save the planet is something that I really feel strongly about. I also feel that not enough is being done to promote this, and that is why I have chosen to cover this topic. After reading my blog, I hope to of gained your support in the fight against landfill sites and less general household waste. I hope you will also be in favour of better recycling facilities and more general recycling overall.

Imagine if you had no food or water or pretty much anything, how would you feel if you had to go onto these dumpsites everyday to find somebody else’s waste and then use this for your everyday life. Here in England even if we are poor and we have cookers or washing machines that break, most of us can save up and buy ourselves a new one. In many parts of the world they don’t have that luxury and therefore have to go onto these smelly, dirty and overall disgusting sites everyday just to get the bare essentials needed for everyday life.

This should not be happening. All of these items such as mobiles, machines and even any type of electrical product along with the normal paper and cans, etc can be recycled and put to a better use than lying on a dump site waiting to be picked up and tried to be used by someone who can’t afford to buy one. If less money was wasted in this way, maybe we could afford to give more money in aid to those less fortunate than ourselves. Listed below, are 5 reasons why you should recycle and how it can not only help the environment, but you personally;

1. Recycling just one aluminium can saves enough energy to run a TV, or to even operate a computer for three hours. Think of the smaller electricity bills we could have!
2. A glass bottle would take more than 4000 years to decompose, however it would take even longer if it was on landfill.
3. The average person gets through 38kg of newspapers each year! And every ton of paper that's recycled can save enough energy to power a three bedroom house for a whole year.
4. You can make 20 cans out of recycled material with the same amount of energy it takes to make one new one.
5. Up to 60% of the rubbish that ends up in the dustbin could be recycled.

I would like to say thank you again for taking time to read my Blog, I would just like to ask you a few questions, but before that here is a good website if you want to know more about what and how to recycle - http://www.recycling-guide.org.uk/

* Before reading my blog did you recycle and if so what items?
* After reading my blog have you now changed your opinion on recycling and will you recycle more? If so what?
* Would you now be willing to tell family and friends about this issue and try to persuade them to recycle more, and to even visit my blog and make a comment of their own?
* And finally, would you be willing to support my petition to hopefully change people’s opinions on recycling and to encourage them to do more of this, along with saving land from becoming another victim to landfill.

Thank you

Jemma.

9 comments:

  1. I think your blog is very persuasive and it is very detailed.I did recycle before reading your blog and it tried to recycle everything.I am more than willing to support your petition as i also feel very strongly about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I recycle what ever is possible and as much as i can!
    No, because i already supported recycling.
    Yes, i would any because i am already supporting this issue.
    Yes i would be willing to support your petition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very for reyccling before ur blog - it has now made me more aware of the really bad effects - GREAT BLOG :)
    I ahve i am very willing to put my name forth and sign ur petition as i believe that something really needs to be done
    very nice topic to cover, and a good blog
    :):):) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i recycled evrything that i could at home - e.g. paper, cans and even clothes at the clothes bank.

    I am still very much for recycling and think that it is a great idea that some people are trying to finally do something about it.

    I have told some people about the blogs on here as i have done one myself on here :)

    my family is very good at recycling and already recycle as much as they can, like me - although i must say that at one of my relatives appartment - where they live - they dont have any green bins at all and all rubish goes in the same bin

    if something is meant to be happening to make recycling better for good then i think all places needed at least a green bin.

    finally i would be more than willing to sign your petition and once again i want to say that this blog ans whatever else you are doing is great idea

    :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog was very encouraging and has made me think twice about what i recycle. It has definitely made me more aware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your blog is excellent. I totally agree that something positive has to be done to solve this serious problem. Recycling is a very important issue these days and it is such a shame that some people cannot be bothered to receycle.
    1. Before reading your blog I was very much into recycling as much as possible, papers and magazines, tins, plastic bottles, and card.
    2. I will continue to recycle as much as I can.
    3. I would be happy to talk to friends and family about recycling more and to visit your blog.
    4. I am definately happy to support your petition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your blog has greatly influenced me. I have contacted the council and told them that they need to encourage everyone in the country to recycling more - and there really does need to be less landfill sites!! finally i am called bethany young and i will support ur petition. and i really hope that this blog can influence others too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my name is Henry Cross and i want to support your petition

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you very much for all comments, they are very much appreciated, jemma :) x

    ReplyDelete