A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 18 June 2012

Give the money. Help the research. Give the life. Help Cancer Research.

My name is Nicole and I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that after reading this you will support my cause and would be willing to donate. My aims are to raise awareness and inform you about the charity.

Their aim is to save lives from cancer. They do this through funding research, providing information for patients, health professionals and the public, and influencing public policy to keep cancer at the top of the health agenda.

Here is Alex Warne’s story. Alex Warne, 14, was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) in December 2003 when he was just six. His parents took him to hospital after he lost energy and had aches in his legs and he quickly started a year of intensive chemotherapy treatment. It was an exceptionally difficult time for the family as, three weeks after Alex’s diagnosis, his grandfather was told he had terminal pancreatic cancer and passed away five months later. After the intensive treatment, Alex underwent two and a quarter years of maintenance chemotherapy during which he had to be in a wheelchair at times. Alex also had to have his feet straightened as the chemotherapy had overstretched his Achilles tendons.

Alex is now back at school, taking part in a wide range of sports and has also developed his writing skills. He wrote a story called The Heaven Flower which was published in 2010.  Mum Julie said: “Alex is such an amazing teenager. I want other kids who are going through cancer to be inspired by Alex.”

“But we will never have our carefree life back again – if there is even a slight problem of illness with Alex, I switch to the day of diagnosis again.” Their pioneering research on childhood leukaemia has benefited thousands of children like Alex.


Cancer Research’s pioneering research on childhood leukaemia has benefited thousands of children like Alex.

Thank you so much again for reading my Blog. Please do now post me a response with your thoughts. In particular, it would be really great if you could write a few words in answer to the following questions. For any further details you can visit http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/ Please help save more lives! If you do post a response, please can you tell me where you come from i.e. your home town and country (if not UK!)

  • Had you heard about what Cancer Research do before you read my blog?
  • Do you now feel more informed about the charity and what they do to help?
  • Would you now be prepared to do any of the following things to help improve the lives of people with cancer…
  • Make a donation to ‘Cancer Research’?
  • Become a volunteer?
  • Give in memory or celebration?
  • Tell your family and friends about ‘Cancer Research’ and try to persuade them to help out in any of the ways above?

Many thanks!
Nicole

10 comments:

  1. 1)Yes
    2)Yes indeed I do
    3)I would make said donation.
    I would possibly become said volunteer
    Yes I would 'give in memory or celebration'
    I would tell my family or friends about Cancer Research's cause.


    This blog was extremely well informed. You have opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Yes I had
    2) Definitely
    3) Over the years I have organised many events to support the charity and intend to keep doing so! I would volunteer if possible, I would definitely give in memory or celebration - for example I have done the Race for Life many times. I would tell everyone I knew to try and support this amazing charity in any way possible!

    I'm from Devon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1)Kind of but know i know more
    2)Yes! definately
    3)a: yes
    b: maybe in the future
    c: yes, but hopefully this wouldn't happen!
    d: definately, i think it is a very important message to get across to public and family about the hard work that they do!

    keep up with the hard work, and i hope in pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Yes I had
    2) Not really as I know a lot about it as they publicise their cause very well.
    3)I would make a donation and persuade others to help out and support this charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Yes, but this blog gave me more information
    2. Yes, very informative!
    3. Yes too all of the above in the future! Especially taking part in events such as Race for Life.
    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Yes I'd do all 3
    5) I would encourage others to support the cause

    Newton abbot, devon
    Very clear and very informative blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olivia Bushell14 July 2012 at 10:27

    1) Yes but I was unaware that they work on influencing public policy in order to keep cancer high on the agenda
    2) Yes
    3) I would (and have before)make a donation. I would love to become a volunteer after university! Also, I would give in memory or celebration and I would (and have before through organising charity events) told friends and family about its cause.

    Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) I would definatly make a donation, become a volenteer, and tell my fiends and family.
    I am from Devon

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3)
    a. yes
    b. yes
    c. yes
    d. yes

    Good Luck!! :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd heard of Cancer Research before and knew what they did, but it's always good to hear personal stories and be reminded of the real people whose lives are affected by cancer, and who are being helped by the charity. I would certainly be willing to make a donation having read this. Good luck with your project!
    (I'm from Bristol, UK)

    ReplyDelete