A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 18 June 2012

Make Dog Fouling a Fantasy

Hi, my name is Gemma and I am currently doing my citizenship GCSE. Before I start I just want to say thank-you to you for taking the time to read my blog, I am doing it on dog fouling in Devon. I have chosen this issue because I would like to raise awareness of one of the top ten worst things in Britain.  I have chosen to become an advocate for this cause, so that no-one is at risk from the destruction of dog faeces, because I believe that no-one should suffer from the risks of dog faeces.

In the U.K there are 6.5 million dogs and they producing roughly 1000 tonnes of waste per day. However most of this isn’t picked up by their owners. The council receive over 226,000 complaints every year because their area is being contaminated by the dog faces. The problem is that it costs the council tax payers £2.3 million to clean up the mess made by dog around the U.K., there are plenty of dog waste bins everywhere, on country lanes to bridal paths, there are around 1.2million bins, so why don’t people use them.


Some dog’s mainly older ones tend to go to the toilet more often than younger dogs; some owners are not prepared for this, so they tend to run out of bags so resort to leaving the faces unattended. Solution can be put in place to help this issue though. In a park called Point Pleasant Park at the entrance there is a box that is full of doggy bags, this means that there is no way faeces can be unattended unless the irresponsible dog owner are stubborn and don’t obey the rules of the law. There are also bins in this park to dispose of the bags.

Dog fouling doesn’t just affect the environment it affects us as well, in dog faces there are small worms which are known as Toxocara canis. They can cause many issues such as blindness; they do this by travel inside of you up to your eye and then swim into your retina a vital part that you eye needs to work. The worms get inot your body by digesting them; however this is easier than you might think. This problem can damage a child’s childhood and future life, they will be treated differently by others and this cause dramatic affects to their confidence.

Than k-you once again for reading my blog, so could you please take the time to write me a response below; by answering the question below as well. Please also tell me where you live-i.e. your home town or country
  • Do you now realise more how devastating the affects that dog fouling can cause?
  • Are you now informed about the issue?
  • Will you now start picking up after your dog if you didn’t already?

9 comments:

  1. Hiya Gemma,
    Great blog
    1.Yes I do
    2.Yes I am
    3.I already do
    Well done great work and good luck with the rest of your GSCE citizenship Coursework
    Liv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! People don't appreciate the consequences of not picking up after their dogs.

    My particular irritation is when owners pick up and then leave the bag hooked to a branch for everyone to see!!!! This is even worse don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Gemma,
    1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3.Yes
    This sounds like a really worthwhile charity!!!! I think that it is terrible when the streets are polluted with dog droppings!!!!! Well done Gemma!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Gemma VG blog
    1) yes
    2) yes
    3) i dont have one but if i did i would
    from amy xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean Gurney 20/03/2013
    Hello Gemma excellent blog.Very well researched.
    1.Yes I do.
    2. Yes I am.
    3.When I had a dog I always cleared up.

    Keep up the good work well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Gemma 20th March, 2013
    Very interesting blog. Well done.
    1) yes
    2) yes
    3) I don't have a dog but if I did I would/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very interesting blog Gemma,well done.
    This reply is coming from Cardiff where we also have a dog problem.
    I now have a gorgeous black cat but no dog at the present time.
    1)Yes
    2)Yes
    3)This is a great challenge Gemma well done for bringing it to everyones attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good points, well made and it comes down to being a responsible citizen, as ever. It's a problem in many places, including down here in S Wales. In answer to the Qs Yes, Yes and I don't have one - but would if I did. Keep up the good work Gemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you very much everyone

      Delete