A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Thursday 14 June 2012

RNLI - Did YOU Sea The Danger?

Hello, you are reading Annabel’s blog about how to raise your awareness about the seas dangers and how the RNLI help. Thank you for taking an interest in my citizenship voluntary organisation and I hope that you will learn something new from it. At the end I hope that you will know a bit more about the RNLI and be able to raise others awareness as well!

The RNLI are already a well established charity/voluntary organisation as they were set up successfully back in 1824. As a result of their publicity I am sure that many of you already know of them, however do you really know what they do? What their aims are? If no is the answer, read on! The RNLI are the Royal National Lifeboat Institution who have been saving lives at sea for 188 years; and recently they have started to save lives on land too. The RNLI have a seasonal lifeboat search and rescue service which comes and finds you when you have got into trouble at sea; and now in floods and on the beach. The only trouble is that there are a lot more leisure boat users nowadays concluding in clueless people getting into sticky situations.


We must do more to raise the public’s awareness about the dangers at sea. Help the RNLI to do their job. By giving just £1; for every £1 given to the RNLI: 81p is spent on providing a rescue service, 3p is spent on preventative safety programmes, and 16p is spent on generating voluntary income. Alternatively, simply changing attitudes and raising awareness by you telling at least 2 people about the RNLI, will reduce their work load because when you are aware you are less likely to get into trouble in the first place. Do your bit for society.

Thank you for reading and I hope you now sea the danger. Please do tell someone and also it would help me if you could leave a few answers, for my evidence, on the following;
  • Had you heard of the RNLI before?
  • Do you now know feel more informed about the issues?
  • Would you be prepared to consider doing anything from the following?
A) Raise others awareness by telling them about the work of the RNLI?
B) Donate a sum?
C) Start or join a fundraising campaign?

If you post a response, please can you tell me where you come from i.e your home town & country (if not UK!). Thank You very much.

11 comments:

  1. Good blog! Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i have heard of the RNLI
    Yes i do
    a) yes i would
    b) YEs
    c) Yes
    I think that your cause it great, i am a sailor so i pay a sum of money to the RNLI already so if i am in trouble they can come and save me. I reallt think that your cause is great and that many people should support your cause as well !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annabel.

    I am already aware of the RNLI, and always interested in reading more about their invaluable work.

    I regularly donate to them and also use http://www.everyclick.com/rnli as my search engine with every click donataing a small sum.

    Good luck in your GCSE.

    Nigel. Bath, Somerset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Annabel dear,

    I was already aware of RNLI, but I didn't know that this job was soooooooooooooooo dangerous.

    Thank you. You have broadened my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annabel,
    It is a a really great blog and I like the figures about how £1.00 is spent.
    1. I had heard a little bit about the RNLI - I knew about them but thats it
    2. YES I DO
    3. a.Yes b.Not Sure c. Yes
    Thanks and Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annabel,
    Great work. I think you are doing a great job raising awareness for the RNLI.
    Answers to your questions:
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. B I will make a donation.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. -yes
    -yes
    -yes
    1 yes
    2 yes
    3 yes
    ENGLAND

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Annabel,
    Great work
    1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3.Yes
    Well done Annabel I support your message and charity, i know that your a sailor so sea safety is important to you, well done and good luck with the rest of your citizenship
    Liv
    Great work

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes - raise awareness and support teh charity.
    Raelly well done Annabel,
    Bex Tinks

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1.yes
    2.yes
    3.yes
    brilliant blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi i am also doing RNLI and so for me this is a great blog. well done and good luck

    ReplyDelete