A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 18 June 2012

Think Race Horse- Think Whip- Think Animal Aid


Thank you very much for showing an interest in my blog. I’m Sophie and I am trying to ban the whip in horse- racing is something I agree with very strongly. Not many people know why banning the whip is such a good idea and why. Nobody seems to understand how much suffering and pain the whip inflicts on horses. When you’ve read my blog, I hope that you will know a bit more about why we should ban the whip in horse- racing- and feel that you want to support.

Here are some true stories of the consequences the whip has on horses:
Grand National (the horse) was still being severely whipped, even though he was exhausted and close to collapsing. He nearly did. Also, another one of the horses who was whipped excessively collapsed and died immediately after the race in which he was abused by his rider.
In addition, frequent multiple local whip strikes cause trauma, haemorrhaging, and crushing of underlying tissues, which can cause general suffering of the organism, including damage to the kidneys.  You can help this stop. You can help horses live longer instead of dying because they were over- beaten in a race.

At the moment Animal Aid, the main charity to campaign for the ban of the whip, has already succeeded in having a law passed against the whip. The law is that there are now a limited number of amounts horses can be hit with a whip during a race. But this is still not enough. Jockeys ignore it and are not getting an appropriate punishment for disobeying the law. Horses need more. They need a ban; a ban of the whip.

And this is what happened to one ladies horse after it was over beaten in a race by the whip:        "When she came out for her first race this year, the only words I can use are that she was thrashed. Not by other horses, but by her jockey. She was hit at least 12 times inside the last furlong and a half and finished third. She has never run the same since. She breaks well but as soon as she is smacked to push her on, she drops herself out. Her emotions must be in turmoil. She must be expecting to be thrashed again. We have nursed her all season but to no avail. Now I have to make the decision as to what to do with her."       Jasmine Chesters

Thank very much for reading my blog. Please post me a response with your thoughts. It would be great if you could write just a few words in answer to the following questions and help in any way you can. If you would like to know more about banning the whip and the sort of work that Animal Aid do, have a look on their website: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/ there is also a really good video called ‘Whipping hurts’. I advise you to take a look.  Please help get rid of the whips! If you do post a response, please can you tell me where you come from i.e your home town and country (if not UK!)

Questions:
  1. Have you ever heard about the situation with whips whilst race- horsing?
  2. Would you ever vote for banning the whip if you had the chance?
  3. Do you now feel more aware about the situation about banning the whip?
  4. How do you feel knowing that horses die and get serious injuries by getting over beaten by the whip?
Thanks again,
Sophie

12 comments:

  1. Someone who lives on Dartmoor28 June 2012 at 13:32

    1. Yes it is terrible i would hate to be a horse
    2. Yes definatly people do not realise the situation that the horses are in
    3. YEs
    4. I feel awful and want people to realise it is bad i live on Dartmoor and i think that i couldn't get around without a horse and i never do anything bad to my miffy she is beautiful and i would never ever whip her not even if she was bad she is my life!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the situation with whips whilst race-horsingsing. Yes I will vote for banning the whip if I had the chance. I feel more aware about the situation about banning t he whip. Pour hoses I hope it's going to change....But there isn't only the whip in racing that makes the horses die or suffer and the whip isn't the worst thing . I think that now the number of times we can whip a horse is limited in a race for security. Are you sure that horses die because of the whip? After a race they don't look like theyre suffering... Race horses die because of lots of other things. If you want to stop horses from dying too young you should try to stop horse-racing all together but that is not possible...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's painful. It's the same like smacking children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about race horses being whipped and if I had the chance, I would vote against this happening.

    Your article has highlighted the subject even more and made me think about how important it is to vote against this torture. Horses are innocent and vunerable and have helped humans for many years. The least we can do is speak on their behalf. These beautiful animals deserve to be looked after and respected not exploited.
    If jockeys believe that continous whipping is acceptable, then we should whip them over and over. I'm not a gambler but I bet they wouldn't like it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, to answer your questions:
    1 - yes
    2 - if i could, then yes
    3 -yes
    4 - i feel sorry for the horse and i think more people should do something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello my name is kaman
    i also feel that banning teh horse whip is vital
    is there really no alternatives to this issue
    best wishes
    kaman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's stop this cruelty which has no place in the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Racing is a sport and the horses are bred for this purpose and this purpose only. They are also extremely expensive to breed, train and run. A race horse owner and trainer choose a jockey who will get the most from their horse both in the short term and the long term. Part of this selection process includes the use of the whip. Some horses respond well to it, others very badly as you explained in your blog. In the UK the use of the whip is governed by the Jockey Club and whilst you cover bans what you don't mention is an owner's right to sack a jockey for excessive whip usage which subsequently ruins a horse. The flip side of the equation is you have a horse who trails the leader by a length going into the final furlong of the Derby, with financial security and racing immortality beckoning. As the owner or jockey in theirs position, to whip or not to whip? That is the question.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. No, I was not aware about this.
    2. Yes. I am for a country where we did even worse things. We kill the bulls. But there have been banned in one region. So, everything is possible
    3. Certainly yes
    4. I thing we should be much more aware about animals, and how the may suffer just for giving us some pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I have no contact with horses, I have heard of the whip being used in horse-racing previously, but I never realised the sheer effect and consequences it could have on the animal. However, I come to understand that the whip is necessary in certain scenarios and there are already laws to cover and limit its use. If given the chance to vote for banning the whip, I would have to talk to more horse experts before making my choice. But I do feel as if I am more informed of the situation, and I admire you're dedication to the issue - keep trying, as every single person can make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Yes, I have heard of whipping in horse races, but have never realised the extremity of it.
    2.Yes, absolutely. I will do the next chance i get!
    3. Yes, i do feel more aware,your petition was very informative and emotive.
    4. I feel saddened.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya Sophie ! :)
    1. Vaguely, kind of
    2.Yes, of course!
    3. Yes, it's a very good blog
    4. Sad..... It's horrible, i can't imagine how cruel someone would have to be to do something like that..

    ReplyDelete