A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Thursday 14 June 2012

Third world poverty – Be Humankind, support Oxfam

Thank you very much for taking your time to take an interest in my blog. My name is Maia. I decided to do this charity for my advocacy because I feel that children and families in areas affected by third world poverty have just as much right to live life to the full as any other person. An example of this is thirteen year old Ayesha.

Here is her story…

Ayesha lives in eastern Africa. She is just like any normal thirteen year old apart from her lifestyle. She wakes up to a damp smelly room that she shares with five other people, she then walks around fifteen miles for water, when she gets back she makes breakfast for her four siblings. She spends the whole day doing everybody’s washing and making food for her family. On top of all of this she also cares for her fatally ill father who has AIDS. Oxfam helped Ayesha to get an education and all the other necessary things she needs to grow up, they also provide her and her family with food, water and good sanitation.



Thank you again for reading my blog. I would appreciate it if you could post me a response with your thoughts. In particular, if you could answer the following questions. To get more information or to donate money go to http://www.oxfam.org/ If you do post a response, please can you tell me where you come from i.e. your home town and country (if not UK).

  • Had you heard about what Oxfam do before?
  • Do you now feel more informed about the issues Oxfam deal with?
  • Would you now be prepared to do any of the following things?
  1. Make a donation to Oxfam.
  2. Start or join a fundraising campaign.
  3. Tell your family and friends about Oxfam and what they do.

13 comments:

  1. Maia this is such a worthwhile cause I hope you acheieve great marks this year!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: Yes I had heard about Oxfam before.
    2: Yes I do feel more informed.
    3: Yes I would be prepared to fo all of these things
    Good luck on your advocacy babe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Yes I have heard of Oxfam before
    2. Yes, definatley
    3. 1. Yes
    2. Would join a campaign but possibly not start one
    3. Yes!!
    This blog is brilliant and deserves to get a lot of recognision- well done maia! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good, helpful cause and so desperately needed.
    I have heard of oxfam before.
    I do feel informed.
    I will carry on buying from Oxfam Charity Shops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good blog well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really good cause, I agree we should help them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~Yes, I have heard of oxfam before, but i do not know a lot about it.
    ~Yes, now I do feel better informed.
    ~Yes, I would.

    Well done babe xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really good cause, I already donate £10 a month to Oxfam (well my mum does, because I live with her) , but after reading this I am now considering donating £50 because we have so much money and they have none, I agree with you, this is NOT justise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with this very much and I think Oxfam are doing a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job and blessings to you.

    What's the source (or name of photographer) of the black and white photo with the girl? I would like to make it my desktop picture so I'm constantly reminded about this issue.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete